Author Topic: Libtards: "Gee, don't you care about cancer patients..." Do you?  (Read 5193 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Libtards: "Gee, don't you care about cancer patients..." Do you?
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Hi numbskull. Why don't you read something for a change.  He actually makes some of your same arguments.  It is the rebuttal that is interesting.

But you know, I think it is probably a waste of time to try to communicate with you.  Keep shouting nonsensically, Dittohead.  There is a place for the brain dead in our society.  Not in the Navy, though.

did I miss something ??? what's this mean

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

You're asking what IPAB is while claiming he isn't interested in politics?  lol.

That was one of the most hotly debated boards during the entire healthcare debate.  It has the ability to alter payment rates to healthcare providers.

Yep.  Here is part of what Dean said:  

“The IPAB will be able to stop certain treatments its members do not favor by simply setting rates to levels where no doctor or hospital will perform them,” Dean wrote in The Wall Street Journal.

“Getting rid of the IPAB is something Democrats and Republicans ought to agree on.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/316045-obamacare-cost-cutting-board-faces-growing-opposition-from-democrats

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 04:06:55 AM »
Yep.  Here is part of what Dean said:  

“The IPAB will be able to stop certain treatments its members do not favor by simply setting rates to levels where no doctor or hospital will perform them,” Dean wrote in The Wall Street Journal.

“Getting rid of the IPAB is something Democrats and Republicans ought to agree on.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/316045-obamacare-cost-cutting-board-faces-growing-opposition-from-democrats

Dean is against anything but a single payer system. However, his analysis, which ironically echoes a lot of Republican criticism, is refuted in the link I posted.

It is impossible to have insurance without regulation.  Under the existing system, both health insurance companies and government agencies, regulate reimbursement rates and have been doing so for forty years.

Which has not resulted in rationing of health care.  Except through affordability, which ACA addresses.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Dean is against anything but a single payer system. However, his analysis, which ironically echoes a lot of Republican criticism, is refuted in the link I posted.

It is impossible to have insurance without regulation.  Under the existing system, both health insurance companies and government agencies, regulate reimbursement rates and have been doing so for forty years.

Which has not resulted in rationing of health care.  Except through affordability, which ACA addresses.

I'm not sure the article refuted Dean's comments.  The author certainly thinks so.  But he said this:  "IPAB will be able to propose changes in the rate of growth for Medicare fees -- for doctors at first, and later for hospitals as well."  That is consistent with what Dean is saying.  They will "propose changes in the rate of growth" to point where no doctor or hospital will perform certain treatments.   

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
I'm not sure the article refuted Dean's comments.  The author certainly thinks so.  But he said this:  "IPAB will be able to propose changes in the rate of growth for Medicare fees -- for doctors at first, and later for hospitals as well."  That is consistent with what Dean is saying.  They will "propose changes in the rate of growth" to point where no doctor or hospital will perform certain treatments.  

The problem is in Dean's conclusion, stated in your last sentence.  That would be like states setting speed limits on roadways to 2 miles an hour.  The IPAB has no interest in undoing the access to affordable health care that the ACA strives for.  However, there needs to be a mechanism to control costs.

The Republicans (not Dean, BTW) would respond that, left unfettered by government control, the private health insurance market, through competition, would keep consumer costs reasonable.

The problem is the positive feedback loop in escalating costs caused by doctors ordering too many expensive tests and treatments (for many reasons, including to cover themselves against potential malpractice claims). And that problem is not solved by competition.  It is solved by providing reasonable limits on reimbursements, which all health insurance companies do today.  

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »

There are no such "rationing boards", brainiac. 

Comprehension may not be your strong suit, friend.

I was speaking on a true single payer system.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
Comprehension may not be your strong suit, friend.

I was speaking on a true single payer system.

You are right.  My apologies. 

However, I do not think that single payer requires "rationing boards" either in the sense discussed in this thread.

If you look at overall mortality rates for serious illnesses such as heart disease and cancer, the UK (with its single payer system) does as well or better than the US (with the best system only the moneyed can buy).  Medical procedures should be evaluated for their efficacy.  For example, coronary bypass operations are performed much more often in the US than in the UK where medical treatment is the more frequent course.  Results are the same - so there may be no benefit to the more expensive, more invasive surgical option in many cases.

That's not rationing, it's just good medical practice.  I would understand rationing to entail withholding effective treatment from people, and that would be an abuse of any system, single payer or private.  And of course private insurance companies do the type of efficacy evaluation mentioned now.

Without it, everyone would be paying the cost of providing worthless Laetrile treatments to cancer patients.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »

Boy with cancer loses coverage after Obamacare launch

The insurance company initially told Krista that Hunter’s information was lost while it was making changes required under the newly implemented health-care law.

Hunter was insured under the Children’s Health Insurance Program in Texas, or CHIP.

According to the CHIP website, “Families with children who get Children’s Medicaid pay nothing and children with CHIP pay no more than $50 a year for health care coverage.”

Krista explained that CHIP is different from Medicaid.

“With CHIP you have to pay a copay for every doctor’s visit, and you’ve got to pay so much for prescriptions,” she said.

Did she have any suspicions as to why her child was dropped?

She said “No” and suspected the company might be confused.

“They sent me a letter asking me why Hunter was being hospitalized, and if he had been in an accident,” she explained. “I sent back a letter saying that he has cancer, a very rare type of cancer, and that he is seeking chemotherapy.”

She hopes it is just one big bureaucratic blunder.

WND restated the question to make sure the facts were straight, asking: “Your husband has a police officer’s salary and your insurance company is telling you that now, under the new insurance rules once Obamacare went into effect, he makes too much money for them to cover your child’s chemotherapy. Is that correct?”

“Yes, sir,” Krista replied

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/boy-with-cancer-loses-coverage-after-obamacare-launch/#MudwTfo5tSy2x8SQ.99

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »
Libtards HATE people with cancer

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/994951f8-5e71-11e3-8621-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2mzqb2O00

Americans who are buying insurance plans over online exchanges, under what is known as Obamacare, l have limited access to some of the nation’s leading hospitals, including two world-renowned cancer centres.

Amid a drive by insurers to limit costs, the majority of insurance plans being sold on the new healthcare exchanges in New York, Texas, and California, for example, l not offer patients’ access to Memorial Sloan Kettering in Manhattan or MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, two top cancer centres, or Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, one of the top research and teaching hospitals in the country.

Experts say the move by insurers to it consumers’ choices steer them away from hospitals that are considered too expensive, or even “inefficient”, reflects the new competitive landscape in the insurance industry since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, Barack Obama’s 2010 healthcare law.

It could become another source of political controversy for the Obama administration next year, when the plans take effect. Frustrated consumers could then begin to realise what is not always evident when buying a product as complicated as healthcare insurance: that their new plans do not cover many facilities or doctors “in network”. In other words, the facilities and doctors are not among the list of approved providers in a certain plan.