Author Topic: do you fellas invest in shares? is it a good thing to do?  (Read 23495 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: do you fellas invest in shares? is it a good thing to do?
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
Most people don't have the time, ...

Everyone has 24 hours in their day. The question is not whether they HAVE the time,
...but rather whether they will TAKE the time.

...fewer have the aptitude,...

It is a teachable & learnable skill, ...if one truly wants to learn it

... and even fewer the temperament.

If they don't have the temperament to trade in the market, ...they shouldn't be in the market. PERIOD.

I'm NOT saying NO ONE can, just that most won't turn out to be the experts they often think they are from watching "Mad Money" and listening to the guy at the bar or a couple of guys on a BB forum who tell them to day trade or put everything into 1 or 2 securities or whatever.

No one becomes an expert from watching TV, listening to a drinking buddy on a bar stool or reading a BB forum. But one doesn't HAVE TO be an "EXPERT", they just have to know what they're doing. And if they're not willing to learn the skills required, they don't deserve to earn the gains they're seeking. They deserve the moral hazard associated.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »

At the end of the day it's a marathon, not a sprint.

With this I wholeheartedly agree!!! Too many people living in a microwave generation looking to make a quick buck without putting in the sweat equity.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
I know this stuff real well too - I'm in the industry myself.

so youre in the finance industry?

I thought you were a manager of a business unit in asia for an american company?

at least thats what you said on the politics board, which one is it?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »

I thought you were a manager of a business unit in asia for an american company?

I thought he imported / exported vehicles for a living, but what relevance is that? Are you saying he can't be both?
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
I thought he imported / exported vehicles for a living, but what relevance is that? Are you saying he can't be both?
he specifically stated on the politics board he worked in manufacturing for a american company in asia.

seems like he makes shit up to try and gain credibility in a conversation

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
hahahahahahahahaha  oh, brother  ::)

Somebody who spends her life spamming a "bodybuilding" board with magic gas pills and a tired "cash for gold" scheme after a failed Hollywood career preaching about people putting in "sweat equity" has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard recently, even out of Canada.

You didn't learn anything in prison, did you?
lol jagson was imprisoned?

for what?

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
lol jagson was imprisoned?

for what?

fraud

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »
Judi, you can pound that "report to moderator" button until the cows come home, but nothing will expunge those convictions.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
Judi, you can pound that "report to moderator" button until the cows come home, but nothing will expunge those convictions.
hahahah

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Sha right... invest money with someone who has no vested interest in whether I make money or lose money?

I don't think so.  The best way to minimize risk imo is to do your homework, and know what you're doing.
This is so right. I use to have a professional ::) invest my money for me. They don't look out for the little accounts. One of the stocks I owned was Bear Stearns, had 200 shares at around $150 a share. I read in the news  paper it went down to $60 a share. I called him and said u should have told me the stock was on a fast ride down. He said well u already lost half which was 15,000 just on this one stock. He said it will most likely go up or the government will bail them out. Bullshit. It went down to $5 a share and JPMorgan stole the company for 4 of their shares for 100 of Bear Stearns. So I got the shaft and 8 shares of JPM. I then realized I could do a better job then these so called professionals who can't even match the S&P .

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
hahahahahahahahaha  oh, brother  ::)

Somebody who spends her life spamming a "bodybuilding" board with magic gas pills and a tired "cash for gold" scheme after a failed Hollywood career preaching about people putting in "sweat equity" has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard recently, even out of Canada.

You didn't learn anything in prison, did you?
she is denying she was in prison...

Who on earth claims I was ever in prison? Gee Whiz!  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
she sure logged off quickly

Good grief!!!

I always log off when I prepare for a webcast.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:57 AM »
This is so right. I use to have a professional ::) invest my money for me. They don't look out for the little accounts. One of the stocks I owned was Bear Stearns, had 200 shares at around $150 a share. I read in the news  paper it went down to $60 a share. I called him and said u should have told me the stock was on a fast ride down. He said well u already lost half which was 15,000 just on this one stock. He said it will most likely go up or the government will bail them out. Bullshit. It went down to $5 a share and JPMorgan stole the company for 4 of their shares for 100 of Bear Stearns. So I got the shaft and 8 shares of JPM. I then realized I could do a better job then these so called professionals who can't even match the S&P .

Wow Jude, I'm so sorry you learned such a very hard lesson.  :'(

Alot of these guys are heartless, half of them don't realize that they're dealing with people's blood, sweat, tears. and most often their very futures, ...and the other half who do, don't seem to care.

ps: Be careful. Anyone who validates anything I post is then accused of being a gimmick account of mine.
w

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
Believe me, nowhere near all millionaires (even those who are retired and have the time) have the mindset to do their own investing. I know many plain looking and talking blue collar retirees whose net worth would surprise you who have no clue about what to do with their considerable wealth, and would be foolish to try in their cases. They have no idea how to allocate their $, how to manage risk, how to determine whether a stock or bond is right for them or not, what ratios of stocks, bonds, commodities, etc are appropriate for their goals, etc.

Again I'm not saying ALL people need an advisor, but most would be better off with a competent pro. The main reason so many people are afraid of the markets (aside from the volatility we've seen in recent times) is because either they or others they know invested foolishly - too much risk... overly concentrated, day trading or otherwise thinking too short term with too much of their $, gambling on penny stocks or other "tips", too much company stock in their portfolios, chasing performance too hard, etc.

Everyone has 24 hours in their day. The question is not whether they HAVE the time,
...but rather whether they will TAKE the time.

It is a teachable & learnable skill, ...if one truly wants to learn it

If they don't have the temperament to trade in the market, ...they shouldn't be in the market. PERIOD.

No one becomes an expert from watching TV, listening to a drinking buddy on a bar stool or reading a BB forum. But one doesn't HAVE TO be an "EXPERT", they just have to know what they're doing. And if they're not willing to learn the skills required, they don't deserve to earn the gains they're seeking. They deserve the moral hazard associated.

A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
Sounds like you had a bad advisor, or the wrong advisor at the wrong time - assuming it was his idea for you to buy it and buy so much of it in the first place. I hope you didn't have too much of your total nest egg in that one company.

I almost never have any more than 5% of my $ in any one individual security (aside from gold) for any length of time, and most holdings are an even smaller %.

If someone is doing their own investing and not going to go the route of reducing risk by using at least a few of the better funds (that have killed the S&P with much less volatility over time), they should probably spread the risk over at least a couple dozen stocks and another half dozen or so other investments (such as commodity ETFs, etc) if they are going to pick individual securities to invest in. And one should not have too much exposure to any one industry, sector, market, nation, etc., not be overly aggressive or impatient, understand things on fundamental levels, etc.

This is so right. I use to have a professional ::) invest my money for me. They don't look out for the little accounts. One of the stocks I owned was Bear Stearns, had 200 shares at around $150 a share. I read in the news  paper it went down to $60 a share. I called him and said u should have told me the stock was on a fast ride down. He said well u already lost half which was 15,000 just on this one stock. He said it will most likely go up or the government will bail them out. Bullshit. It went down to $5 a share and JPMorgan stole the company for 4 of their shares for 100 of Bear Stearns. So I got the shaft and 8 shares of JPM. I then realized I could do a better job then these so called professionals who can't even match the S&P .
A

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
epic phaggotry by these nazi sympathizing mods removing posts that tell the truth about their pets

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
I guess investing and how to go about it is best summed up by keeping in mind that it ain't play money.
A

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
Sounds like you had a bad advisor, or the wrong advisor at the wrong time - assuming it was his idea for you to buy it and buy so much of it in the first place. I hope you didn't have too much of your total nest egg in that one company.

I almost never have any more than 5% of my $ in any one individual security (aside from gold) for any length of time, and most holdings are an even smaller %.

If someone is doing their own investing and not going to go the route of reducing risk by using at least a few of the better funds (that have killed the S&P with much less volatility over time), they should probably spread the risk over at least a couple dozen stocks and another half dozen or so other investments (such as commodity ETFs, etc) if they are going to pick individual securities to invest in. And one should not have too much exposure to any one industry, sector, market, nation, etc., not be overly aggressive or impatient, understand things on fundamental levels, etc.

It was a good lesson to learn. I am spread out well in the market now. Getting good returns over the years. I too don't invest in more than 5% in one thing. Even gold is only 5% for me. I have a few different Vanguard funds and EFT's and about 20 individual stocks I manage. I have done very well in tech with Apple and just recently sold my google stock when it hit 1,000 a share which was a 3 fold winner for me. It is not for everyone, but I think people should invest in good companies that they spend their money with, if not just buy some Vanguard index funds of EFT's.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »

Are these things mutually exclusive?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
he specifically stated on the politics board he worked in manufacturing for a american company in asia.

seems like he makes shit up to try and gain credibility in a conversation

You have a file on me do you?

I run a company out here for a Japanese MNC in Asia but the direct parent company is American.

I also have my own company in the financial industry. One that started over a period of time because I put the savings from the above company into the sort of crappy investments that are being mentioned here. I figured I was better off moving away from the sort of 'advisers' that will look you in the eye after losing 30% of your money  (and charging you 1-4% for the privilege) and say "at least we beat the benchmark".

There was never an intention to become part of the financial industry but I spotted a niche and decided I may as well exploit it as anyone else.

Like I say - these things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Put the right people in place and you only need to direct them/put out fires.

It's called diversification.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »
"Diversification"? That word sounds very familiar for some strange reason.  ::)

Yes, I'm sure your investments do much better than a pretty consistent annual average of low double digits over decades. You probably even are ahead of Oceanstone's 55% they've made the last 5 years - including '08 when they were down 10% while the S&P was down nearly 40%.  ::)

And I'm sure you were down nowhere near 30% in '08 when Buffett and Icahn were - in fact, you probably shorted 100% of your portfolio in subprime mtgs, Bear Stearns, Merrill, and Lehman Bros and made triple digits in '08, correct?  ::)

I'll bet you've never even been down a single day, much less a month, quarter, or year. You're probably making 4 digit returns year in, year out.

Please share some of YOUR specific investment strategies with us peons, Macho Man - if you can pull yourself away from day trading your 12 figure hedge fund long enough.

I can give you my current main account portfolio as well. I'm sure it pales in comparison to "The Secret" though.  ;D

You have a file on me do you?

I run a company out here for a Japanese MNC in Asia but the direct parent company is American.

I also have my own company in the financial industry. One that started over a period of time because I put the savings from the above company into the sort of crappy investments that are being mentioned here. I figured I was better off moving away from the sort of 'advisers' that will look you in the eye after losing 30% of your money  (and charging you 1-4% for the privilege) and say "at least we beat the benchmark".

There was never an intention to become part of the financial industry but I spotted a niche and decided I may as well exploit it as anyone else.

Like I say - these things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Put the right people in place and you only need to direct them/put out fires.

It's called diversification.
A

jillymayr

• Getbig II
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
I've been thinking about investing but I get so scared of losing money :(

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
I've been thinking about investing but I get so scared of losing money :(

Some believe that if you day trade, you'll always be immune from even the shortest term and smallest downside whatsoever (unlike even the world's greatest investors), and always be able to make money day in and day out, year after year.  ::)
A