Author Topic: Dealing with depression  (Read 37864 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: Dealing with depression
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »
In all honesty, if you're suffering from depression, there are free clinics out there that will help you and with the affordable care act you can not be rejected, as technically you NOW have insurance. You can either opt for a specific plan or pay the tax fine at the end of the year, but nonetheless you are covered and will not be rejected.

Seek a professional to speak with.

Discuss the various stressors in your life and your mechanisms used to cope.

Get out more for walks, exercise and even try picking up a new hobby that requires you to devote both mental and physical energy towards it. This often times allows your mind to become remolded and set your attention onto other things that can derail your overall depression. Any less time feeling depressed is time invested towards the right direction.

Change your diet. Reduce your overall intake of caffeine and processed foods. Try getting the recommended amount of sleep (6-8 hours every night).

If and when you find that resorting to the aforementioned tactics does not provide a decent level of progress, you might have to consider cognitive behavioral therapy and possibly pharmacotherapy down the line.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac & Lexapro) are very commonly used and have proven to provide a generous amount of resolve in those with depression.

Likewise, Tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil, Pamelor, Norpramin, Tofranil) can be used if therapy with the SSRI's mentioned above fail to provide you with results.

There are also other drugs on the market that can be of help to you if the step-up approach from SSRI's to Tricyclic antidepressants proves to be futile (wellbutrin, Desyrel, Effexor etc.).

Like I said before, even if you don't have insurance, you can no longer be denied medical assistance. As an American, if you are currently without insurance, you will be required to pay a fine at the end of the year, so what that technically means is that you DO have insurance and are only required to either pick a designated government plan and/or walk in for treatment at one of your local clinics that treat psychological disorders.

Feel free to PM me if you need help in establishing a healthcare insurance plan.

"1"

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »
Doesnt need to be romantic in fact probably shouldnt be in the shape you are in.  I meant your mom, dad, sister, whoever.  Yeah romantic stuff when depressed will NEVER end well.  Stay away.  Lean on the people you know you can trust and whom trust you.  Just open up to someone and when all that pain comes out it is like a weight is off of you.  IT wont get better instantly but you will improve for sure.  I really feel for you man, I am also going through this and have gone through it before so i know how hard it can be.  The guilt and self-loathing is so toxic to your soul.  just keep reminding yourself that you are sorry for what you did or what happened and that you will not do it again.  The future is wide open but the past is closed.   You will notice though that as time passes you will come back to life again.  Unless you found out you have some terminal disease and are going to die soon, EVERYTHING else will pass.  

What sucks even more is I'm the black sheep of my family. I will try tho. I think its good to build on the relationships I already have. I can do that.
A

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
Not so sure everything can be fixed. Sometimes you have to reap what you sow.

Have you wronged someone else or just feel as though you've wronged yourself?   

If someone else, is it possible to seek their forgiveness?  If just you, is it possible to forgive yourself?

Does being in the company of others help?  Family, friends, coworkers, folks at the gym, mall, movie theater, concert, etc...?

Do you have any pets?  Dog, cat or other furry critter?  Animals can be tremendously uplifting at times.

Do you make time to indulge yourself a bit each week....a big steak, heavy lifting, good movie, a new pair of Ottomix boots, a dozen powdered donuts, even a nap?

I like to keep music on that uplifts me all the time.  If something is dark I leave it alone. 

I also try to accomplish one small goal at a time regardless of the goal....I just complete something.  Clean out a drawer, finish a book, buy a new fish for the aquarium.....little stuff.

Above all for me, it is about my faith....it center and uplifts me completely.  Prayer, bible study, Christian music, worship....that's a tremendous personal outlet for me. 

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
In all honesty, if you're suffering from depression, there are free clinics out there that will help you and with the affordable care act you can not be rejected, as technically you NOW have insurance. You can either opt for a specific plan or pay the tax fine at the end of the year, but nonetheless you are covered and will not be rejected.

Get out more for walks, exercise and even try picking up a new hobby that requires you to devote both mental and physical energy towards it. This often times allows your mind to become remolded and set your attention onto other things that can derail your overall depression. Any less time feeling depressed is time invested towards the right direction.

Change your diet. Reduce your overall intake of caffeine and processed foods. Try getting the recommended amount of sleep (6-8 hours every night).

If and when you find that resorting to the aforementioned tactics does not provide a decent level of progress, you might have to consider cognitive behavioral therapy and possibly pharmacotherapy down the line.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac & Lexapro) are very commonly used and have proven to provide a generous amount of resolve in those with depression.

Likewise, Tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil, Pamelor, Norpramin, Tofranil) can be used if therapy with the SSRI's mentioned above fail to provide you with results.

There are also other drugs on the market that can be of help to you if the step-up approach from SSRI's to Tricyclic antidepressants proves to be futile (wellbutrin, Desyrel, Effexor etc.).

Like I said before, even if you don't have insurance, you can no longer be denied medical assistance. As an American, if you are currently without insurance, you will be required to pay a fine at the end of the year, so what that technically means is that you DO have insurance and are only required to either pick a designated government plan and/or walk in for treatment at one of your local clinics that treat psychological disorders.

Feel free to PM me if you need help in establishing a healthcare insurance plan.

"1"

I will look into the insurance. Honestly, I've been wanting to talk to a psychiatrist for a while now.
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
No. No alcohol or drugs.

Thats your problem.  8)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
I will look into the insurance. Honestly, I've been wanting to talk to a psychiatrist for a while now.

Do not hesitate (and I mean this with no forum bias and with all foolishness aside) to reach out to me in private and I will do everything I can to help you.

Depression is a serious medical (psychological) condition and there are many resources out there available to you.

I will be glad to provide you with resources that you can employ to help. I also agree with the many suggestions provided in this thread.

"1"

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »

If someone else, is it possible to seek their forgiveness?  If just you, is it possible to forgive yourself?

Does being in the company of others help?  Family, friends, coworkers, folks at the gym, mall, movie theater, concert, etc...?

Do you have any pets?  Dog, cat or other furry critter?  Animals can be tremendously uplifting at times.

Do you make time to indulge yourself a bit each week....a big steak, heavy lifting, good movie, a new pair of Ottomix boots, a dozen powdered donuts, even a nap?

I like to keep music on that uplifts me all the time.  If something is dark I leave it alone. 

I also try to accomplish one small goal at a time regardless of the goal....I just complete something.  Clean out a drawer, finish a book, buy a new fish for the aquarium.....little stuff.

Above all for me, it is about my faith....it center and uplifts me completely.  Prayer, bible study, Christian music, worship....that's a tremendous personal outlet for me. 

I've wronged someone I love dear. They won't forgive me.

That's just one of my problems but it is one of the main ones.
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »

Shizzo?

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
I DON'T GET ANY RECOGNITION???? I TOLD YOU DICKHEAD, TAKE SOME SUPPS LIKE FISH OILS AND DO CARDIO AND YOU WILL FEEL AMAZING YOU DON'T NEED MEDS HAHAHAAAA

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »

Lots of truth here.  I recently started looking at my faith or should i say my lack of and it opened my eyes.  There are some problems that are just plain bigger than we can handle alone.  This is where your faith comes in.  If you believe that there is something (God, buddha, allah, whatever) I notice those people rarely are completely devastated by depression.  It is knowing that there is something all powerful that will HELP, not cure, HELP you to get through whatever you are facing.  Man of steel gave both of us some great advice and I for one intend to take it.  I am tired of feeling horrible all the time.   I intend to fix myself and become a better man and i cannot do that if I am weak and destroyed.  I help no one in that condition.  I hurt myself and the people who love me by being that way and accomplish nothing positive.  Sometimes I need to get angry with my situation to put the appropriate effort into fixing it.  Get motivated however you need to in order to get better.  You cannot make ammends or truly apologize and fix things if you are in a full blown depression.  Use that as motivation and when you start getting better the momentum will build.  

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
I DON'T GET ANY RECOGNITION???? I TOLD YOU DICKHEAD, TAKE SOME SUPPS LIKE FISH OILS AND DO CARDIO AND YOU WILL FEEL AMAZING YOU DON'T NEED MEDS HAHAHAAAA

I take lots of fish oil and I do some circuit training for cardio. But honestly lately I haven't had much desire to go to the gym.
A

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:55 AM »
I take lots of fish oil and I do some circuit training for cardio. But honestly I don't have much desire to go to the gym much.

Does that not help? It must somewhat. I feel amazing after cardio it rids my hangover. If you don't drink I don't know what to say cos that's the only shit that depresses me...

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Shizzo?

Dude, I'm NOT shizzo. Please stop.
A

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
Anyone else ever dealt with depression? Lately I've been feeling really down in the dumps. Not the normal feeling down but like a lower level of downess. Im just really sad. I'm not looking for anyones sympathy so please. im just curious if anyone has ever dealt with depression and how they deal with it. If I had insurance I would think about going to see a doc.

look in the mirror be glad this isn't what's looking back at you.
F

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »
That's just crazy-talk.

No shit, that dude needs to be in TO for such a ridiculous post.  >:(

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »

Forgiveness is really more about the forgiver than the potentially forgiven.  People hang on to things indefinitely, if not forever at times.  It's unhealthy and a hindrance to moving forward.   Pent up anger and hostility yields no good fruit.  

If you're truly sorry and have sought to atone for that wrongdoing and the person you seek forgiveness from will not grant forgiveness then you simply can't do anymore.  You can't spend your life in a state of moral debt to someone if you've honestly sought to make good for that wrong.

Now, being forgiven doesn't always equate to being deemed trustworthy again.   Trust develops over time, but you have to help that person that you have wronged develop that trust little by little by little (even indirectly at times because they won't allow you to get close to them now).   Between people, forgiveness and trust go hand in hand.     Still, if you've done all you can with sincerity and that person cannot forgive then know you can move forward with a clear conscience.   Always know that even if another person refuses forgiveness that the Almighty will always provide the utmost forgiveness.  ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
in all seriousness though, just think of people who are worse off than you, count your blessings and assess your life build on your stengths and work on your weaknesses. good luck.
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
look in the mirror be glad this isn't what's looking back at you.

That's an assumption, sir Funk.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
it would be better if you talked to somebody you trust and respect in person rather than solicite many well meaning (one hopes) but some times contradicting suggestions.
c

ganero76

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »

"1"
How do you not clearly see that this is yet another gimmick that needs to be placed in Time Out?

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
Forgiveness is really more about the forgiver than the potentially forgiven.  People hang on to things indefinitely, if not forever at times.  It's unhealthy and a hindrance to moving forward.   Pent up anger and hostility yields no good fruit.  

If you're truly sorry and have sought to atone for that wrongdoing and the person you seek forgiveness from will not grant forgiveness then you simply can't do anymore.  You can't spend your life in a state of moral debt to someone if you've honestly sought to make good for that wrong.

Now, being forgiven doesn't always equate to being deemed trustworthy again.   Trust develops over time, but you have to help that person that you have wronged develop that trust little by little by little (even indirectly at times because they won't allow you to get close to them now).   Between people, forgiveness and trust go hand in hand.     Still, if you've done all you can with sincerity and that person cannot forgive then know you move forward with a clear conscience.   Always know that even if another person refuses forgiveness that the Almighty will always provide the utmost forgiveness.  ;)

You're right. I know there is a lot more I can try and do to atone for what I have done to that person. Its just it hurts when I try and they push me away. I need to try the indirect route...from a distance. Then if they come around to it and are accepting I can build more on a personal level.

A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
it would be better if you talked to somebody you trust and respect in person rather than solicite many well meaning (one hopes) but some times contradicting suggestions.

I'm antisocial. Even talking to family can be awkward for me. Honestly, there are some damn good replies here. Lots of good advice.
A

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
just don't do anything negative because you are depressed, and then it doesn't matter if you are depressed

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »
what if its incorrectable?
No such thing. You don't come into this life to tackle insurmountable tasks. If it were such case life would not have sense. Anything you face has a solution. We all made mistakes. Move on. But don't beat yourself over it.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
Lots of truth here.  I recently started looking at my faith or should i say my lack of and it opened my eyes.  There are some problems that are just plain bigger than we can handle alone.  This is where your faith comes in.  If you believe that there is something (God, buddha, allah, whatever) I notice those people rarely are completely devastated by depression.  It is knowing that there is something all powerful that will HELP, not cure, HELP you to get through whatever you are facing.  Man of steel gave both of us some great advice and I for one intend to take it.  I am tired of feeling horrible all the time.   I intend to fix myself and become a better man and i cannot do that if I am weak and destroyed.  I help no one in that condition.  I hurt myself and the people who love me by being that way and accomplish nothing positive.  Sometimes I need to get angry with my situation to put the appropriate effort into fixing it.  Get motivated however you need to in order to get better.  You cannot make ammends or truly apologize and fix things if you are in a full blown depression.  Use that as motivation and when you start getting better the momentum will build. 

I can only speak for myself, but the strife, angst, depression, jealousy, anger I faced so often in the past vanished when I surrendered to Jesus Christ.  I promise not to get preachy here  ;) but I when I hit rock bottom (I mean one foot in the grave rock bottom) and I surrendered to Lord.....BOOM.......his presence was revealed and the weight lifted.  Man oh man, I was changed!!!  Praise God!

Other people, new surroundings, a new hobby, a new job, etc.....are all great, uplifting things.  I take nothing from them, but freedom.....true freedom......that comes from Christ.   Feel free to PM me anytime.....I'm happy to share.

God Bless