Author Topic: Dealing with depression  (Read 38340 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Dealing with depression
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
No such thing. You don't come into this life to tackle insurmountable tasks. If it were such case life would not have sense. Anything you face has a solution.

I like your attitude!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but the strife, angst, depression, jealousy, anger I faced so often in the past vanished when I surrendered to Jesus Christ.  I promise not to get preachy here  ;) but I when I hit rock bottom (I mean one foot in the grave rock bottom) and I surrendered to Lord.....BOOM.......his presence was revealed and the weight lifted.  Man oh man, I was changed!!!  Praise God!

Other people, new surroundings, a new hobby, a new job, etc.....are all great, uplifting things.  I take nothing from them, but freedom.....true freedom......that comes from Christ.   Feel free to PM me anytime.....I'm happy to share.

God Bless

I'm not religious, but i agree with a lot of what you are saying here.

Glad you are in a better place and it's cool that you are helping others.

8)

Sophus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
Low intense cardio can help a lot

try it

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but the strife, angst, depression, jealousy, anger I faced so often in the past vanished when I surrendered to Jesus Christ.  I promise not to get preachy here  ;) but I when I hit rock bottom (I mean one foot in the grave rock bottom) and I surrendered to Lord.....BOOM.......his presence was revealed and the weight lifted.  Man oh man, I was changed!!!  Praise God!

Other people, new surroundings, a new hobby, a new job, etc.....are all great, uplifting things.  I take nothing from them, but freedom.....true freedom......that comes from Christ.   Feel free to PM me anytime.....I'm happy to share.

God Bless

LOL.

Funniest troll post of the day  ;D ;D ;D

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
dont suicide, if thats the goal atleast try to rob a bank before.

nah serious,

think of all the ppl who are worse off, half the earth population has no access to a proper toilet.

think about that.think about the sick, the disabled.

to put in perspective how well off you are.

do some test, find hobby, or some girl, all this can help, test and girl can ofc go either way :D

n

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
Brother we all face pains in our lives. In truth I'm feeling down these days as well. I've had a failed marriage to someone that was clinically bipolar and dealing with that was extremely difficult. Lived a fairly consecutive life but after my marriage started dating again and was naive, fell in love with someone who ultimately wasn't good for me but still don't know how let them go (as in I still think about them and miss them which saddens me). Dated someone right after who honestly had zero values, over the course of the relationship she slowly admitted her past actions and they were not good. When you have feelings for someone you don't want that lifestyle for them, it's a crushing feeling, and exhausting trying to show them how to be a an adult and life should have meaning not a free-for-all club party. I have now, as of this Sunday, decided that they are toxic and simply will never understand, so broke up with her. How do I cope? I have one good friend that I talk to that makes me feel happy when I'm around (non sexual female friend), I also talk to family. Also been focusing more on my faith. The more I deviated the less happy I was (just my observation). Be wise who you surround yourself with, ppl can help you grow in life or send you down the toilet. I'm fairly young btw. I wish you well.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
Low intense cardio can help a lot

try it

i dont know why, but this is true.

the "high" you get from cardio has something magical to it.

but in order to even do the cardio,there must be some inner fire beforehand
n

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
That's an assumption, sir Funk.
post one was the kidding post, post 2 was my serious one.  ;D
F

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
swimming always chills me out
T

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
This thread is proof that Getbig can be sympathetic if need be. I wish shizzo had taken advantage of that.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
Do not hesitate (and I mean this with no forum bias and with all foolishness aside) to reach out to me in private and I will do everything I can to help you.

Depression is a serious medical (psychological) condition and there are many resources out there available to you.

I will be glad to provide you with resources that you can employ to help. I also agree with the many suggestions provided in this thread.

"1"

Ditto man, I deal with this kind of stuff in the PTSD groups I mentor. Only you truly know how deep you are in and if your inner self is saying talk to a professional, do it.

If you don't like "drugs" you could also try St. John's Wart -

http://www.anxietydepressionhealth.org/st-johns-wort-hypercium.htm

but honestly you sound pretty deep bro so reach out to family / friends that you trust, let them know where you are at. Call up a doc and get meds please. You are lucky that you are not so deep you don't see a way out...I've lost more friends than I care to mention from depression. It's a wicked wicked tortuous disease that needs to be dealt with immediately. Suicide is a selfish way out for sure.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
In all honesty, if you're suffering from depression, there are free clinics out there that will help you and with the affordable care act you can not be rejected, as technically you NOW have insurance. You can either opt for a specific plan or pay the tax fine at the end of the year, but nonetheless you are covered and will not be rejected.

Seek a professional to speak with.

Discuss the various stressors in your life and your mechanisms used to cope.

Get out more for walks, exercise and even try picking up a new hobby that requires you to devote both mental and physical energy towards it. This often times allows your mind to become remolded and set your attention onto other things that can derail your overall depression. Any less time feeling depressed is time invested towards the right direction.

Change your diet. Reduce your overall intake of caffeine and processed foods. Try getting the recommended amount of sleep (6-8 hours every night).

If and when you find that resorting to the aforementioned tactics does not provide a decent level of progress, you might have to consider cognitive behavioral therapy and possibly pharmacotherapy down the line.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac & Lexapro) are very commonly used and have proven to provide a generous amount of resolve in those with depression.

Likewise, Tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil, Pamelor, Norpramin, Tofranil) can be used if therapy with the SSRI's mentioned above fail to provide you with results.

There are also other drugs on the market that can be of help to you if the step-up approach from SSRI's to Tricyclic antidepressants proves to be futile (wellbutrin, Desyrel, Effexor etc.).

Like I said before, even if you don't have insurance, you can no longer be denied medical assistance. As an American, if you are currently without insurance, you will be required to pay a fine at the end of the year, so what that technically means is that you DO have insurance and are only required to either pick a designated government plan and/or walk in for treatment at one of your local clinics that treat psychological disorders.

Feel free to PM me if you need help in establishing a healthcare insurance plan.

"1"

I would be careful about SSRIs. An FDA literature review in 2007 showed they are not statistically more effective than placebo (which is why after 2007 the pharma industry started pushing antipsychotics for depression...)

All other suggestions are quite sensible.

If I may add my own, going out and doing something physical has always helped me. Gardening, decorating, volunteering, whatever. Physical work is balm for my mind.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »

There is no way you didn't smile or laugh for at least a second at this.  That is hope showing itself to you.  You are not completely lost and neither am I.  Ironmeister's shops are the most hilarious things I have ever seen.  Iron is doing good for us all by showing us that it is not always dark no matter how bad we feel there are funny good happy things in the world and we can have them too.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
There is no way you didn't smile or laugh for at least a second at this.  That is hope showing itself to you.  You are not completely lost and neither am I.  Ironmeister's shops are the most hilarious things I have ever seen.  Iron is doing good for us all by showing us that it is not always dark no matter how bad we feel there are funny good happy things in the world and we can have them too.

Its true. I did smile.
A

Sophus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
i dont know why, but this is true.

the "high" you get from cardio has something magical to it.

but in order to even do the cardio,there must be some inner fire beforehand

Depression is often caused by stress

Stress causes the body to make energy recources available to itself, while neglecting other important body functions ( for example digesting ect., especially men seem to have problems with eating during stressful times )

By doing light cardio the body is able to make use of this energy and it also reduces cortisol together with other chemical byproducs of stress

Sport like this also has a regulating function on emotions

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »
Anything you face has a solution.

Alzheimers, pancreatic cancer? C'mon, dude.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »

God Bless

Same here.   :)

Man of Steel ain't lying.

Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Same here.   :)

Man of Steel ain't lying.

Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

;)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
ANYTHING

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
If you are chronically depressed which you probably are Shizzo, there is no cure and will never be a cure. You need to just keep yourself busy and come to the realization that the glass will always be half empty in your eccentric mind. Depression doesn't have to be a big deal as long as you keep yourself busy.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

In the future people with Alzheimer's will be known as Type III Diabetics...

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
In all honesty, if you're suffering from depression, there are free clinics out there that will help you and with the affordable care act you can not be rejected, as technically you NOW have insurance. You can either opt for a specific plan or pay the tax fine at the end of the year, but nonetheless you are covered and will not be rejected.

Seek a professional to speak with.

Discuss the various stressors in your life and your mechanisms used to cope.

Get out more for walks, exercise and even try picking up a new hobby that requires you to devote both mental and physical energy towards it. This often times allows your mind to become remolded and set your attention onto other things that can derail your overall depression. Any less time feeling depressed is time invested towards the right direction.

Change your diet. Reduce your overall intake of caffeine and processed foods. Try getting the recommended amount of sleep (6-8 hours every night).

If and when you find that resorting to the aforementioned tactics does not provide a decent level of progress, you might have to consider cognitive behavioral therapy and possibly pharmacotherapy down the line.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac & Lexapro) are very commonly used and have proven to provide a generous amount of resolve in those with depression.

Likewise, Tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil, Pamelor, Norpramin, Tofranil) can be used if therapy with the SSRI's mentioned above fail to provide you with results.

There are also other drugs on the market that can be of help to you if the step-up approach from SSRI's to Tricyclic antidepressants proves to be futile (wellbutrin, Desyrel, Effexor etc.).

Like I said before, even if you don't have insurance, you can no longer be denied medical assistance. As an American, if you are currently without insurance, you will be required to pay a fine at the end of the year, so what that technically means is that you DO have insurance and are only required to either pick a designated government plan and/or walk in for treatment at one of your local clinics that treat psychological disorders.

Feel free to PM me if you need help in establishing a healthcare insurance plan.

"1"
OMR giving the best advice! Seek the help of a Psychologist and or Psychiatrist! Depression as in Clinical Depression is not something to be taken lightly!

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
That's just crazy-talk.

it is not. it works. go 3 weeks without doing it and you'll feel like u own everyone around u.