Author Topic: "We have a right to sleep"....  (Read 3332 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
"We have a right to sleep"....
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
So I am driving around Downtown Eugene, OR this weekend and there are little parking lots, i saw 2 of them, large enough to fit maybe 20-30 cars.  They converted them to "tent lots" where homeless people have their tents and sleep each night with a sign in the front saying:  "We have the right to sleep"

When i saw it I just thought:  You also have the the right go into the forest and build yourself a shelter out of wood.  Maybe you will leanr that hard work will get you something and then be motivated to get out of your predicament instead of being whiny lazy bums.

Why is it that these homeless people feel they have a right to force people or the city to take of them?  Why do they think they need to act as if it society's fault they are homeless and therefore is the working man's burden?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: "We have a right to sleep"....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
g

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
So I am driving around Downtown Eugene, OR this weekend and there are little parking lots, i saw 2 of them, large enough to fit maybe 20-30 cars.  They converted them to "tent lots" where homeless people have their tents and sleep each night with a sign in the front saying:  "We have the right to sleep"

When i saw it I just thought:  You also have the the right go into the forest and build yourself a shelter out of wood.  Maybe you will leanr that hard work will get you something and then be motivated to get out of your predicament instead of being whiny lazy bums.

Why is it that these homeless people feel they have a right to force people or the city to take of them?  Why do they think they need to act as if it society's fault they are homeless and therefore is the working man's burden?

You Nazi, Neo-Con, Capitalist, Republican, Racist, Anti-Obama, coke sniffing, insensitive Jerk.  How dare you speak like that of the bums.    >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »
Interesting.  I was running the other morning and ran by a bunch of homeless people.  Almost stepped on one who was sleeping on the ground on a piece of cardboard.  Then I ran by multimillion dollar oceanfront homes, a world class golf course, and the most exclusive country club on the island.  The difference between the haves and have nots is just a mile or two. 

I came away with a much greater appreciation for my station in life and much more sympathetic to people whose only earthly possessions are the clothes on their backs. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
Interesting.  I was running the other morning and ran by a bunch of homeless people.  Almost stepped on one who was sleeping on the ground on a piece of cardboard.  Then I ran by multimillion dollar oceanfront homes, a world class golf course, and the most exclusive country club on the island.  The difference between the haves and have nots is just a mile or two. 

I came away with a much greater appreciation for my station in life and much more sympathetic to people whose only earthly possessions are the clothes on their backs. 

Should they be able to take over public parking lots and turn them into tent shelters by right?

That's my issue. 

Staying homeless (able bodied and mind) is a choice.  Should that be those who work for a living responsibility? 

PS:  Being homeless in Hawaii almost doesn't count.  (Sleeping in a tent on the beach)  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »
Should they be able to take over public parking lots and turn them into tent shelters by right?

That's my issue. 

Staying homeless (able bodied and mind) is a choice.  Should that be those who work for a living responsibility? 

PS:  Being homeless in Hawaii almost doesn't count.  (Sleeping in a tent on the beach)  ;D

I'd say no to taking over an entire parking lot, but are we really going to spend resources kicking them out of a public parking lot after hours? 

I'm not sure what the circumstances of the people are, but I agree some of them are homeless by choice.  Some have mental problems.  Some might be a product of hard times. 

I used to think that about Hawaii too, but running right by them at about 4 in the morning puts a different light on it, at least for me.  Pretty sad.  And it gets cold at night.  Seventy here can feel like forty on the mainland.   :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »

That's my issue. 

I'd say the operative word in your rant is PUBLIC.

I would argue, if it's a PUBLIC parking lot, ...are they not members of the public?
Why not consider it this way: They are members of the public who chose to park their asses in the lot for the night.  :P
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »

That's my issue. 

I wish I were homeless in Hawaii.    :'(

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
I'd say the operative word in your rant is PUBLIC.

I would argue, if it's a PUBLIC parking lot, ...are they not members of the public?
Why not consider it this way: They are members of the public who chose to park their asses in the lot for the night.  :P

It stays that way 24/7.  The whole parking lots is used.  So the tents are always up and i saw one of these in Portland, OR, a few weeks back; It had a make shift barrier around it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
I'd say no to taking over an entire parking lot, but are we really going to spend resources kicking them out of a public parking lot after hours? 

I'm not sure what the circumstances of the people are, but I agree some of them are homeless by choice.  Some have mental problems.  Some might be a product of hard times. 

I used to think that about Hawaii too, but running right by them at about 4 in the morning puts a different light on it, at least for me.  Pretty sad.  And it gets cold at night.  Seventy here can feel like forty on the mainland.   :)
[/b]

lol rrrrrrrright  :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
[/b]

lol rrrrrrrright  :D

It's true. When it drops below 70 at night it's freezing.   :)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »
I wish I were homeless in Hawaii.    :'(

Tent cities there as well.
A

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
You Nazi, Neo-Con, Capitalist, Republican, Racist, Anti-Obama, coke sniffing, insensitive Jerk.  How dare you speak like that of the bums.    >:(

I thought you were a Christian, loco.

Bad day, or what?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
Can't Nike pay to house all those people..or give them old ducks jerseys to wear?
L

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
It's true. When it drops below 70 at night it's freezing.   :)

You sure wouldn't want to be handling Toronto weather, ...especially these past few days.

We went from a mild, balmy 13 degrees Celsius, to a massive blast of arctic air, 50km per hour wind gusts, and snow. The temps plunged down to minus 10 degrees Celsius, which felt like minus 40 degrees with the windchill factored in, ...all within a span of less than 12 hours.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
You sure wouldn't want to be handling Toronto weather, ...especially these past few days.

We went from a mild, balmy 13 degrees Celsius, to a massive blast of arctic air, 50km per hour wind gusts, and snow. The temps plunged down to minus 10 degrees Celsius, which felt like minus 40 degrees with the windchill factored in, ...all within a span of less than 12 hours.

Don't know Celsius.  We use Fahrenheit.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
Celsius is actually a little warmer  :D ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 05:59:07 AM »
I thought you were a Christian, loco.

Bad day, or what?

Nah, OzmO is alright by me and I've got nothing against him, and he knows that.  Just trolling.  Christians have a sense of humor too...at least some of us do.   ;D

jjbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
Obama is the king of victims.  You didn't succeed ... no problem it wasn't your fault, its not fair.  The system was designed for you to fail ... you never had a chance to succeed.  Obama says the same thing about himself.  So, yes in todays US you have a right to squat on public and private property and do what ever the fuck you want.  You didn't see this sort of bullshit when Reagan was around.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
Don't know Celsius.  We use Fahrenheit.   

Technical Translation for the Metricly Challenged:

We went from a balmy 55 degrees Fahrenheit to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, which with the winds factored in, felt like minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 12 hours.

Universal Translation:

It was bloody freaking cold!!!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 08:04:38 AM »
Obama is the king of victims.  You didn't succeed ... no problem it wasn't your fault, its not fair.  The system was designed for you to fail ... you never had a chance to succeed.  Obama says the same thing about himself.  So, yes in todays US you have a right to squat on public and private property and do what ever the fuck you want.  You didn't see this sort of bullshit when Reagan was around.

We're you even alive when Reagan was around?   ::)

I was living in the USA while Reagan was president, ...and I can assure you it wasn't pretty.

And yes, the system IS designed for you to fail. Those of us who recognized that early on are the ones who escape the traps laid out, and succeed. And OzmO's reference is not a reference to private property.

But if you want to take a step back in history, your country wouldn't exist if it weren't for a bunch of people who decided to squat on someone else's land. Not content with just squatting, they then proceeded to orchestrate wholesale genocide against them.

Perhaps it's this unspoken truth of their ow history that scares the heck out of some people, ...either that, or the fear that they will soon be joining their ranks.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »
And yes, the system IS designed for you to fail. Those of us who recognized that early on are the ones who escape the traps laid out, and succeed. And OzmO's reference is not a reference to private property.
LMFAO well its a shitty design then b/c the majority of people do succeed within the system

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
We're you even alive when Reagan was around?   ::)

I was living in the USA while Reagan was president, ...and I can assure you it wasn't pretty.

But if you want to take a step back in history, your country wouldn't exist if it weren't for a bunch of people who decided to squat on someone else's land. Not content with just squatting, they then proceeded to orchestrate wholesale genocide against them.

Perhaps it's this unspoken truth of their ow history that scares the heck out of some people, ...either that, or the fear that they will soon be joining their ranks.

please shut the fuck up. 

do me a favor.  name me ONE.  ONE FUCKING COUNTRY in the world that was not conquered by someone else at some point and whose indigenous people were not treated horribly.  ONE FUCKING COUNTRY.  that's all I ask. 

i'm so sick and fucking tired of asshats like you thinking that they're saying something profound when they talk about the US kicking the native americans off of their land, like it had never been done before anywhere in the world.  read a fucking book for christs sake.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »
please shut the fuck up. 

do me a favor.  name me ONE.  ONE FUCKING COUNTRY in the world that was not conquered by someone else at some point and whose indigenous people were not treated horribly.  ONE FUCKING COUNTRY.  that's all I ask. 

i'm so sick and fucking tired of asshats like you thinking that they're saying something profound when they talk about the US kicking the native americans off of their land, like it had never been done before anywhere in the world.  read a fucking book for christs sake.

Hmmm... quite the angry little boy aren't we?

The only people angered by truth are those living a lie.  :)
w

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
Hmmm... quite the angry little boy aren't we?

The only people angered by truth are those living a lie.  :)

like I said just name one country and i'll shut up. 

that rhetoric may work with young impressionable college kids but that mickey mouse shit doesn't cut the mustard with adults who actually know what they're talking about.