Author Topic: Stand Your Ground Law's Latest Victim  (Read 66203 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Stand Your Ground Law's Latest Victim
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »
No one has the right to take another persons life unless their life is being threatened.

while then we agree he's guilty

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »
while then we agree he's guilty

What would you charge him with?
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
No one i see is arguing whether Hendrix felt threatened or not.

The core of the argument will be weather he was threatened enough to justifiably use deadly force.

The core issue is whether he had a reason to believe he was under a physical threat.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
What would you charge him with?
manslaughter

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
No one has the right to take another persons life unless their life is being threatened.

Not that strict.  Can be either death or serious injury.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »
The core issue is whether he had a reason to believe he was under a physical threat.

No weapon and no attempted forced entry.

Good luck with that.

also:
....he left a safe bastion, a house that wasn't in the process of breaking into, that wasn't being broken into in the first place and then committed murder.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »
No weapon and no attempted forced entry.

Good luck with that.

also:

I don't really have any more to add.  I agree with the sheriff that the guy was afraid.  Makes sense to me based on the factors I listed earlier. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
I guy that's afraid or fears for his life doesn't come out of a secure house and look for someone he fears,not buying it

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
I don't really have any more to add.  I agree with the sheriff that the guy was afraid.  Makes sense to me based on the factors I listed earlier. 

I agree.  From the stand point of defending the shooter there really isn't anymore to add.  He was afraid.  The Sheriff thought so to.   

If fear is the basis for his defense he's toast.  There is no standard for the level of fear that's justifiable enough to use deadly force.....other than using circumstances and facts, which are:

1.  No weapon
2.  No forced entry
3.  Attempted entry had stopped.
4.  Police were called
5.  Hendirx left the safety of his home and murdered the old guy because he walked towards him and didn't respond to questions.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
yeah...

You have 911 on the line, Police on the way, you have a gun and the guy isn't any longer jiggling the door knob or knocking on the door.  In fact he's walked out into your yard.   

Could be a case of "I'm not letting him get away."

IF IF IF he had left the porch and was 10 or 15 feet away... it's gonna look real bad.  Aside from the poor judgment he showed leaving the safety of a house with police en route... If this is a case of the old man giving up and leaving, and the shooter just wanting to make sure he doesn't get away (sounds familiar? ;) ), then the dude might be in trouble. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

If you ever shoot a person - using this criteria - you're looking at a very shitty legal mess.

I beg ya man - and every other getbigger - do everything you can NOT to have to shoot.  Protect yourself, of course, but you can let the police face an unknown threat in the yard in the middle of the night - that's their job, not yours.  They have vests, powerful lights, training, numbers, and many other advantages that Joe Hendrix SixPack just doesn't have. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »
If you ever shoot a person - using this criteria - you're looking at a very shitty legal mess.

I beg ya man - and every other getbigger - do everything you can NOT to have to shoot.  Protect yourself, of course, but you can let the police face an unknown threat in the yard in the middle of the night - that's their job, not yours.  They have vests, powerful lights, training, numbers, and many other advantages that Joe Hendrix SixPack just doesn't have. 

You and your band of armed neighborhood men are the last ones I'll take advice from on the use of deadly force.  But thanks anyway. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
You and your band of armed neighborhood men are the last ones I'll take advice from on the use of deadly force.  But thanks anyway. 

I wish every neighborhood in America had the cohesion we had in the trailer park.

Someone blows a whistle or sets off car alarm - and everyone in the place steps out of their place and onto the road.  No bad guy wants to be a part of that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
I doubt law abiding citizens want a bunch of armed kids running around their neighborhood confronting "suspicious" vehicles.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
I doubt law abiding citizens want a bunch of armed kids running around their neighborhood confronting "suspicious" vehicles.   

LOL it was 2 of us in our 20s, and the rest were retired.  Most were veterans.  We weren't exactly carrying rifles on shoulders.  more of a "that car is circling, let's ask them if they need help politely".

We didn't shoot people when they didn't respond.  We calmly retreated to our homes and called the police. It's how one is supposed to act in situation like this, particularly in a close community.  You don't shoot people who are unresponsive.  Well, this guy did.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
I wish every neighborhood in America had the cohesion we had in the trailer park.

Someone blows a whistle or sets off car alarm - and everyone in the place steps out of their place and onto the road.  No bad guy wants to be a part of that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
Responsible people don't go looking for trouble with loaded guns.  Glad I didn't live in your neighborhood.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
Responsible people don't go looking for trouble with loaded guns.  Glad I didn't live in your neighborhood. 

You excuse what Hendrix did as "he was scared". But you condemn my actions.  I stood on my curb (legally permit armed) with phone in hand to call police.   Big difference there.

I've been punched in the face while armed.  I took the hit and walked away.  I've been scared in some situations and angry in others and outright irate at others, at times when people were truly deserving of a pistol whipping.

I don't draw my guns in those situations.  No responsible gun owner does.

The funny thing, BB, is that I think you'd rather share a neighborhood with Hendrix, firing into mute, disabled veteran elderly shadows, than me, who organized others to observe people up to no good while never drawing weapons.  I'm all about non-violence and making the police do their job, man.   I'm also all about locking up heroes who fire weapons when not truly necessary. 

Is the 911 tape out?   It'll blow this thread up to 75 pages when that happens.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
You aren't Thinking through.   Because  he stopped and walked away from the door.   Then Hendrix went out side, got no response, the guy walked towards him and and Hendrix shot him.  

The man wasn't doing anything wrong.  
I agree the man wasnt doing anything wrong but the homeowner didnt know that.

Youre trying to say that the fact the guy was senile and just lost means the homeowner shouldnt have felt threatened. Anyone who wakes up at 4 am to someone trying to get in their house is going to feel threatened.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »
You excuse what Hendrix did as "he was scared". But you condemn my actions.  I stood on my curb (legally permit armed) with phone in hand to call police.   Big difference there.

I've been punched in the face while armed.  I took the hit and walked away.  I've been scared in some situations and angry in others and outright irate at others, at times when people were truly deserving of a pistol whipping.

I don't draw my guns in those situations.  No responsible gun owner does.

The funny thing, BB, is that I think you'd rather share a neighborhood with Hendrix, firing into mute, disabled veteran elderly shadows, than me, who organized others to observe people up to no good while never drawing weapons.  I'm all about non-violence and making the police do their job, man.   I'm also all about locking up heroes who fire weapons when not truly necessary. 

Is the 911 tape out?   It'll blow this thread up to 75 pages when that happens.
no you just walk around with other armed men with your hands on your guns looking for trouble...I guess we should just start calling you zimmerman

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »
lol... i dont chase a dude 2 blocks for a fight.

I don't "give orders or I'll shoot" to people.

I've never killed anyone - and we all know I'd do EVERYTHING I could do avoid it.  These cats, on the other hand, seem to do juuuuust enough to get legal permission to execute someone.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
lol... i dont chase a dude 2 blocks for a fight.
right you just walk two blocks with an armed mob to confront people you think are up to no good with your hand on your gun.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »
right you just walk two blocks with an armed mob to confront people you think are up to no good with your hand on your gun.

Pretty creepy.   :-\

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
I agree the man wasnt doing anything wrong but the homeowner didnt know that.

And....  The homeowner didn't know that the guy was doing anything wrong either.  Other than knocking and jiggling a door knob which isnt wrong or against the law.

Youre trying to say that the fact the guy was senile and just lost means the homeowner shouldnt have felt threatened. Anyone who wakes up at 4 am to someone trying to get in their house is going to feel threatened.

And I am not trying to say that at all.  Where do you get that idea?

Read some of my latest posts.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »

And....  The homeowner didn't know that the guy was doing anything wrong either.  Other than knocking and jiggling a door knob which isnt wrong or against the law.

And I am not trying to say that at all.  Where do you get that idea?

Read some of my latest posts.   

seemed like thats what youre implying.

I agree the guy wasnt doing anything illegal but it seems like you think its absurd for the homeowner to feel threatened when someone is trying to open his door at 4am.

If all youre trying to say is they old man wasnt doing anything wrong I think most will agree to that but it seem like you want to say it wasnt logical for the homeowner to feel like he was in danger.

If you feel someone is trying to break into your house, you will feel youre in danger.
If someone is trying to open your door at 4 am, its reasonable to believe that someone is trying to break in