Author Topic: Dr. Ben Carson on Presidential Bid: The Good Lord Has a Plan  (Read 18526 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Dr. Ben Carson on Presidential Bid: The Good Lord Has a Plan
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
I hope he stays involved.  We need people like him involved with public policy. 

Dr. Ben Carson on Presidential Bid: The Good Lord Has a Plan
Thursday, 05 Dec 2013
By Bill Hoffmann

Renowned neurosurgeon Ben Carson inched closer to declaring a 2016 run for the White House on Thursday, saying that while he never expected to seek public office, "the good Lord had a different plan for me."

Asked by Steve Malzberg on Newsmax TV about several grass-roots campaigns to draft him for a presidential run on the Republican ticket, Carson said:

"As far as my running for public office, that was never my intention. I thought when I retired I was going to play golf and learn how to play an organ.

"But, obviously, the good Lord had a different plan for me. I will obviously listen, but that is not what I really had intended to do."

Carson, the former chief for pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, said his goal is to "make sure the American people have their eyes open and recognize what's happening and understand that we the people are not each other's enemies.

"The enemies are those people jerking everybody's chains and trying to make them think they're enemies and driving in wedges at particular … to divide and conquer."

Carson opposes President Barack Obama's ongoing call for a $2.85 hike in the federal minimum wage, which currently stands at $7.25 an hour, or around $15,000 a year.

"No one should expect to start out making a lot of money … I worked many, many jobs as a youngster growing up in Detroit. Many of them didn't even pay minimum wage but what they did pay me was an opportunity for me to gain significant experience," Carson said.

"In one case, I took a job as a lab assistant at my high school but I learned enough that I was able to compete successfully against college kids for a lab position at a university when I was still in high school. I couldn't have gotten that if I hadn't done the various low-wage jobs.

He said Americans need to "recognize that there's an actual progression that occurs as you make yourself more valuable.

"But you have to have some place to start and if we make that learning place a point where employers have to pay you more than you actually bring to the job … what that is doing is hurting particularly our young people. They need a place to start. So we have to be able to look at the big picture."

Carson also spoke of the value of reading and urged people to limit the amount of time they watch television.

"I've been asking [people to] promise themselves that they will subtract half an hour or an hour a day from their television watching and read," he said.

"Learn something, pick up an American history book, a world history book, an algebra book, something. You would be amazed at how much you will know after a year of just doing that."

He said he picked up the habit from his mother.

"My mother observed as … she worked as a domestic cleaning other people's houses, [that] these tended to be very successful people and where we lived there tended to be a lot of unsuccessful people," Carson said.

"She noticed they read a lot and they didn't look at a lot of television and they didn't waste a lot of time. So she came home and imposed that upon us. We were, of course, quite disgruntled.

"Her friends just criticized her severely. 'You can't make boys stay in the house and read books! They'll grow up but they'll hate you. I would say, mother you know they're right, but she wasn't going to listen to that. We had to do it."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ben-carson-president-lord-plan/2013/12/05/id/540340#ixzz2mioPn2C8

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Dr. Ben Carson on Presidential Bid: The Good Lord Has a Plan
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Yeah because the public needs a new Jesus Freak to ridicule seeing how Bachmann, Palin, T-Paw, and Perry are old news now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »
The "Jesus freak" who is the one of the best brain surgeons in world history is ok with me.  Brilliant man. 

Keep your tissue handy.  You'll be doing a lot of crying if he stays involved.   :)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
I can see the Left getting real flustered trying to find a way to label him a racist ;D

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
I can see the Left getting real flustered trying to find a way to label him a racist ;D

He's the worst kind of racist--a black man who hates black people.  He's republican.  It doesn't matter if he's white or black, he's racist.
Y

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
The "Jesus freak" who is the one of the best brain surgeons in world history is ok with me.  Brilliant man.

Right, and? What does brain surgery have to do with politics? Would the best chef in the world be better suited?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
ABOUT TIME!

Seriously smart dude... I've always wondered why the smartest people are in the pvt sector and the dumbest are in politics lol.  Okay, not the dumbest, but really... Was Palin the smartest person out of 305 million that Mccain could pick for VP?

I wish for a USA where the top 4 people on the tickets are brilliant, highly acomplished.  Able to understand lots of details and absorb information and make decisions.  We've really had a bunch of soft thinkers from both parties lately.  And just being rich doesn't mean jack... Bush and Romney were millionaires while in the crib.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
Joey Chestnut, one of the best hot dog eaters in world history, is also considering a run for the 2016 Republican nomination. I think we need to give his candidacy due consideration.

:D :D this guy for vp

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
Right, and? What does brain surgery have to do with politics? Would the best chef in the world be better suited?

Yes, the best chef.   ::)

Him being one of the best brain surgeons in world history means he's probably very intelligent.  He has also worked in the private sector his entire career.  Also has good business sense.  Man of integrity too.  All of those attributes make him a great candidate to be involved in public policy, unlike the current guy in the White House. 

The fact he is a "Jesus freak" is just a bonus.   :)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
if you can't beat them join them,  the repubs token  :D :D :D :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »

Keep your tissue handy.  You'll be doing a lot of crying if he stays involved.   :)

LOL

I'm praying to Satan he decides to run

He's already said so many stupid things one can only imagine what other nutty shit he will say once he's on the campaign trail

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
Yes, the best chef.   ::)

Well, if your criteria is "one of the best" then why not? What about a mathematician like Andrew Wiles? Or a computer scientist like Donald Knuth? Or anyone at their top of their field?

Him being one of the best brain surgeons in world history means he's probably very intelligent.  He has also worked in the private sector his entire career.  Also has good business sense.  Man of integrity too.  All of those attributes make him a great candidate to be involved in public policy, unlike the current guy in the White House.

You can be very intelligent and be a shitty politician.

Working in the private sector isn't a prerequisite - but it's at least a plus.

You claim he has good business sense. Let's assume he does - even if you present no evidence to back up your assertion. So what? What does the Presidency have to do with jobs?

I don't know him and don't know if he has integrity or not. I'll assume does but would point out that is almost an automatic disqualifier - but I'm not cynical.

The fact he is a "Jesus freak" is just a bonus.   :)

Yeah... a "bonus".  ::)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
Well, if your criteria is "one of the best" then why not? What about a mathematician like Andrew Wiles? Or a computer scientist like Donald Knuth? Or anyone at their top of their field?

You claim he has good business sense. Let's assume he does - even if you present no evidence to back up your assertion. So what? What does the Presidency have to do with jobs?

I don't know him and don't know if he has integrity or not. I'll assume does but would point out that is almost an automatic disqualifier - but I'm not cynical.

So who exactly should be considered then? Draw names out of a hat?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »

Who said Andrew Wiles or Donald Knuth cannot be involved in public policy?  Of course they can.  

You have a different view of what qualities a person involved in public policy should have, which is fine.  The factors I mentioned are important to me.  

Yes, a bonus.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
When Carson makes a complete fool of himself I can only assume that will be part of the good lords plan

jesus, daddy and the spook have a sense of humor

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »

Seriously? You come of as very intelligent or at least you can debate well. Having experience in the private sector has everything to do with it, just the fact that the left have no economic commonsense should tell you this much. A good example would be when these idiots want to raise the minimum wage just to "make it fair" without giving consideration of the impact it would have on the business...or how about this. Instead of cutting out useless programs they want to keep raising taxes as if getting this works.

We need a businessman in the White House not a fucking politician.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
Seriously? You come of as very intelligent or at least you can debate well. Having experience in the private sector has everything to do with it, just the fact that the left have no economic commonsense should tell you this much. A good example would be when these idiots want to raise the minimum wage just to "make it fair" without giving consideration of the impact it would have on the business...or how about this. Instead of cutting out useless programs they want to keep raising taxes as if getting this works.

We need a businessman in the White House not a fucking politician.

it certainly didn't seem to help Bush

Carter was a peanut farmer - did that help him?

Not having private sector  experience didn't hurt Clinton, Kennedy, Roosevelt and I'll even give you Reagan

Being a governor tends to be helpful but being in the "private sector" doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to being an effective POTUS

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
Yeah because the public needs a new Jesus Freak to ridicule seeing how Bachmann, Palin, T-Paw, and Perry are old news now.

racist

racist

Joey Chestnut, one of the best hot dog eaters in world history, is also considering a run for the 2016 Republican nomination. I think we need to give his candidacy due consideration.

racist

if you can't beat them join them,  the repubs token  :D :D :D :D

dyslexic

LOL

I'm praying to Satan he decides to run

He's already said so many stupid things one can only imagine what other nutty shit he will say once he's on the campaign trail

racist

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »

Would you have labeled him a racist at the time when you were a lefty?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
Yes, the best chef.   ::)

Him being one of the best brain surgeons in world history means he's probably very intelligent.  He has also worked in the private sector his entire career.  Also has good business sense.  Man of integrity too.  All of those attributes make him a great candidate to be involved in public policy, unlike the current guy in the White House. 

The fact he is a "Jesus freak" is just a bonus.   :)

He is not very intelligent BB. At 1:00:

You have to wery stupid to spew that BS.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

yeah, and that so called Lenin quote is not true

kind of reminds me of all of the total bullshit that Rick Santorum said on the campaign trail

just wait until this guy starts getting questions about foreign policy and basically any other topic outside of his particular area of expertise

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
yeah, and that so called Lenin quote is not true

kind of reminds me of all of the total bullshit that Rick Santorum said on the campaign trail

just wait until this guy starts getting questions about foreign policy and basically any other topic outside of his particular area of expertise

Pretty funny that he mentiones the Lenin quote twice in 24 hours. He must really feel he is on to something. Maybe one of his staffers told him about it as a joke and then he just ran with it.

Im not american but if my kid came home from school spewing BS like that i would have a talk with the teacher.

And here you have a brain surgeon and soon to be public official saying it? Fucking scary.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
Pretty funny that he mentiones the Lenin quote twice in 24 hours. He must really feel he is on to something. Maybe one of his staffers told him about it as a joke and then he just ran with it.

Im not american but if my kid came home from school spewing BS like that i would have a talk with the teacher.

And here you have a brain surgeon and soon to be public official saying it? Fucking scary.

let's not get carried away

if he decides to run he'll get torn to shreds in the primaries

Remember how quickly Herman Cain imploded

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »

Didn't watch the clip. 

He's brilliant.  Also, I think his foundation has provided scholarships to kids in every state.  He's a Great American.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
Didn't watch the clip. 

He's brilliant.  Also, I think his foundation has provided scholarships to kids in every state.  He's a Great American.

He told a false quote on public television, that he attributed to Lenin. He did it twice in 24 hours so he must really feel he is on to something.

Anyone but a person with well below average intelligence would know it was fake yet your so called "brilliant" Dr. Carsen not only tells the story not once but twice on public television.

How is that brilliant again ???