Author Topic: Routine help please  (Read 1268 times)

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Routine help please
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »
Hello I was wondering if I could get some useful advice here on perhaps improving my routine. I follow an upper pull, upper push and lower routine spread over 3 days. The format in general is the first 3 exercises are compound multijoint, followed by a body weight component and lastly the occasional body building exercise chucked in. My BW exercises i progress by decreasing rest periods as my endurance improves. I'm keen to progress in strength on the first 3 exercise and currently employ sets in the 5 rep range.

A sample upper pull workout is:
Power component
Power cleans 3 x 5
Deadlifts 3 x 5
High pulls 3 x 5

Bodyweight component
Muscle ups 3 x 5
Chins 3 x 10
Pull ups 3 x 10

"Hypertrophy component"
Upright row 3 x failure

Would periodisation be worthwhile? Dropping the reps to 3 on the power exercises?

Any advice much appreciated

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: Routine help please
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »
Ummm let's see......

Big compound movements done in strength phase fashion, check.

Lighter compound movements with enough volume for hypertrophy, check.

Some direct muscle group work for possibly bringing up a bodypart, check.

I would say it looks good.

I am doing 3 days a week as well. My structure is a bit different ( a pull, a push, and a lower every workout) but the principle is very similar. I have done well with cycles of light,  medium, and heavy weeks training this way. Right now I am trying out a 5x5 application  that I came up with to drive up the main exercise of each workout. 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Routine help please
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »
Just a few suggestions, for whatever they are worth.

You shouldn't need the power cleans & Hi-pulls in the same workout. Would do one or the other, but not both, for 4-5 X 4-6 reps if looking for a strength increase right away. Including increase mass.

DL's are great. Unless your plans are to go into PL'ing, really no need to take the bar from the floor. Just below knee height works  well for most BB'ers, and can eliminate the potential of injury to the lower back. Cleans/Hi-pulls affect the lower back also. Most BB'ers have awful form from the floor DL's anyway.. But that is your choice.

Up-right row are a favorite movement of mine, and affects the trap, biceps & delts/shoulder girdle greatly. Suggest a EZ bar if the wrist/elbows encounters any unneeded strain with a straight bar. Keeping the bar close to the body (almost rubbing) also reduces any strain  on the shoulder joints. The bar lifted too far away from the body can cause shoulder/joint problems for some. Might suggest 3-4 sets of 8 to 10 reps.

Muscle ups are a productive movement, even for stamina. Yes, chins or pull-ups to follow, but one or the other...not both in the same workout.. Which ever one you select, would  suggest  a medium curl grip on the bar. A better recruitment of the lat's (biceps included) for most guys.   Suggest 4X 8-10's of curl grip chins or pull downs.

Periodization usually requires a period of 8 to 12 weeks on a given routine and than a change to something of a different approach to a workout. Not meant for a individual workout, but that will be up to you and what you feel those needs are.   Good Luck.
F