Author Topic: Cardio discussion  (Read 66483 times)

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
Re: Cardio discussion
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
Nah Serge Nebret didn't do it, Vince Taylor doesn't do it and in the 02 Olympia I heard them say Dexter Jackson doesn't do it. If it's for fatloss just eat cleaner and train hard. If it's for health... TRAIN HARD your heart pumps when you lift weights too.

I disagree. I think cardio is a necessity.

If you do cardio while dieting you can eat more calories to support more muscle mass. So if you don't want to lose muscle while dieting, you should do cardio.

There are very RARE exceptions. Some people have crazy genetics. They lose body fat without even trying. It's also harder for those type of people to build mass. I think Dexter Jackson was doing cardio but started to lose too much weight. He had to stop (at least thats what he said in the Pre-Contest Bible). Darrem Charles is another example, he only diets for like 5-6 weeks.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »
every time i've done cardio i've lost inmense amounts of weight including muscle. when i was 135 LOL i was more than ripped. only reason i put on fat is because i overate for a loooong time. i am getting leaner right now without any cardio.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »
every time i've done cardio i've lost inmense amounts of weight including muscle. when i was 135 LOL i was more than ripped. only reason i put on fat is because i overate for a loooong time. i am getting leaner right now without any cardio.

The fact that you can get down to 135lbs. proves my point!

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »
No you're mistaken. I CAME UP to 135 from 120. When i was in the 135-145 range i was shredded to the bone. Anyway how would it prove your point? if i did cardio at that time and i actually got DOWN to 135 then that means the cardio knocked off a lot of muscle.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
No you're mistaken. I CAME UP to 135 from 120. When i was in the 135-145 range i was shredded to the bone. Anyway how would it prove your point? if i did cardio at that time and i actually got DOWN to 135 then that means the cardio knocked off a lot of muscle.

My point was, if you want to maintain the most amount of muscle mass while dieting you need to consume more calories and nutrients. Typically, this is only made possible by doing cardio. Thus, attempting to diet without cardio typically results in muscle loss.
However, I also stated that "hardgainers", those who have trouble holding onto weight (the ones with crazy genetics) can't do cardio or they lose too much.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2006, 08:16:24 PM »
i've never lost muscle on low calorie-no cardio. that's the only way i've been able to keep it.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
i've never lost muscle on low calorie-no cardio. that's the only way i've been able to keep it.

when did you have it?
E

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2006, 08:18:08 PM »
so post your pic and show me what it is to have any muscle... liar/loser.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2006, 08:20:02 PM »
so post your pic and show me what it is to have any muscle... liar/loser.

calm down Gibber, not all of us are so self conscious that we need approval from a message board. And why don't you just shut up and take the mans advice? you are not a hardgainer!
E

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2006, 08:23:24 PM »

Count your blessings Bro. You are a LUCKY man!!!

Most of us have to bust or booties on the cardio.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2006, 09:08:48 PM »
anyone have gibbers picture?
grundle has no sack,

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2006, 04:39:51 AM »
Yea... I do. my pictures are irrelevant. everyone says that i'm fat in my pictures but you all have to realize that in the pictures i have here i go from 120 to 185 with no cutting of any kind in between. talk about "bulking".

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2006, 12:04:01 PM »
i never said you were fat, just no muscle what so ever.
grundle has no sack,

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »
Well EXCUSE ME for not reaching my goals yet I've only been training seriously for 2 years!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2006, 12:43:12 PM »
Well EXCUSE ME for not reaching my goals yet I've only been training seriously for 2 years!

Proves my point even more...

no clue and no experience...

bulk up and cut down, post pics of both phases, we could all use a good laugh.

8)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
yea sure... why don't you stick to the topic instead of getting personal? you're not talking about anything.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »
seriously, i've only been training for 3 yrs, 2 all out.. went up to 250, now diet down to 220.
grundle has no sack,

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »
dieted down to 220 and look like what?

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
you people are crazy!

you comparing the few people in the world with superior genetics and are on steroids to the average person..not a fair comparison
Sure surge and Dexter don't belive in cardio good for them

Based on the general population it is clear that most people cannot do it through diet alone. Also most people don't have the determination and will power to diet and lift heavy long enough to get their bodyfat to a low level. Look around the average gym and you will see a bunch of fat men lifting heavy.  Of the people that I see in shape they lift/diet and spend time doing aerobic activities. 

On a personal I am 5'10 200lbs, I lift heavy but I have never gotten my BF under 13%. This has always troubled me. I started doing 45 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach 4-6 days per week.  Before doing cardio I take 5g of glutamine and a handfull of BCAA.  I have also began taking more carbs with my post workout shake.  My abs are coming in real nice and guess what my weight is: 202. I make sure that eat 6 meals and so what if I have the occasional cheat meal? I burn it right off.

I also take Creatine, 40 grams of whey protein and BCAA after working out also, plus some fast digesting carbs

I maybe be burning muscle but rest assured that I am burning fat at a higher rate. 

I truly belive that those with a low BF can get by with minimal cardio if any. Their BF is so low that they don't need to burn off anything.  If you are a male and over 14% BF then you need to do some form of cardio. As to how much cardio, I will left you and your stubborn belly fat determine that.  Catch me on the stairmaster

oddly enough everyone says that I am looking bigger :)

I didn't spell check this so excuse any errors
Here comes the money shot

suquito

• Getbig I
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »
you people are crazy!

you comparing the few people in the world with superior genetics and are on steroids to the average person..not a fair comparison
Sure surge and Dexter don't belive in cardio good for them

Based on the general population it is clear that most people cannot do it through diet alone. Also most people don't have the determination and will power to diet and lift heavy long enough to get their bodyfat to a low level. Look around the average gym and you will see a bunch of fat men lifting heavy.  Of the people that I see in shape they lift/diet and spend time doing aerobic activities. 

On a personal I am 5'10 200lbs, I lift heavy but I have never gotten my BF under 13%. This has always troubled me. I started doing 45 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach 4-6 days per week.  Before doing cardio I take 5g of glutamine and a handfull of BCAA.  I have also began taking more carbs with my post workout shake.  My abs are coming in real nice and guess what my weight is: 202. I make sure that eat 6 meals and so what if I have the occasional cheat meal? I burn it right off.

I also take Creatine, 40 grams of whey protein and BCAA after working out also, plus some fast digesting carbs

I maybe be burning muscle but rest assured that I am burning fat at a higher rate. 

I truly believe that those with a low BF can get by with minimal cardio if any. Their BF is so low that they don't need to burn off anything.  If you are a male and over 14% BF then you need to do some form of cardio. As to how much cardio, I will left you and your stubborn belly fat determine that.  Catch me on the stairmaster

oddly enough everyone says that I am looking bigger :)

I didn't spell check this so excuse any errors

I'm 6'3 240 with a 21% BF.  Yes I'm fat, but I have worked hard to get to this weight.  About 4 years ago I was a scrawny 165 pounds.

In the past I have done the empty stomach cardio and the 6 meals a day thing with all the right supplements.  Doing that I lost both weight, fat and muscle which I didn't want to lose.  However, I was never able to get really cut like when I was really skinny.

I wonder if my cardio was too high impact (running) and maybe walking or stairmaster might help me lose fat while retaining my muscle.

I need somebody to recommend a plan of action...I've gotten really frustrated with the setbacks I've been experiencing the last year.

My question is would walking or

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2006, 04:11:57 PM »
Heres a question that i got

We all know cardio is quite boring but is imperitive to shed fat

My question is , is sport , anything that uhm involves around , will it be contitied as cardio? And if so , is it goood form of cardio

In particular the sport i wanna know about if is the equivalent of cardio is SQUASH

Any takers?

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2006, 02:09:37 AM »
i did both HIIT and slow walking. I've read tons and tons of research and they all indicate HIIT burns more fat, and helps u keep ur muscles better, but then from personal experience, slow walking helps me keep muscles much better. I'm still scratching my head on that one. Perhaps there's a reason why 99.95% of pro bodybuilders do slow walking for their cardio despite all these studies backing up HIIT.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2006, 07:47:38 PM »
  For fuck sake, man, this fucking thread is still up?! It's been here for years! :o :o :o :o :o :o

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
i did both HIIT and slow walking. I've read tons and tons of research and they all indicate HIIT burns more fat, and helps u keep ur muscles better, but then from personal experience, slow walking helps me keep muscles much better. I'm still scratching my head on that one. Perhaps there's a reason why 99.95% of pro bodybuilders do slow walking for their cardio despite all these studies backing up HIIT.

I agree when I'm getting ready for a contest I keep my pulse between 120-130 when doing cardio.  I hate cardio first thing in the morning as I'm not a morning person, so I do may first cardio workout after my morning weight trainning around 11 AM.

I have seen first hand HITT people burn off their muscle.  When I'm in contest mode I eat about 2600-2800 cals but do 2 one hour cardio workouts.  When contest time comes I'm ripped to the bone and look full. Well as full as a light middle weight can look!

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2006, 05:34:08 AM »
Only way to go in my book....5am, 2.8 speed, 12% incline...bulking.