Author Topic: Comment by 2xweek full body program!  (Read 4021 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Comment by 2xweek full body program!
« on: January 07, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »
Ok I'm thinking of giving a full body program a shot. Guess I got a little inspired of the talk here, besides I've done it before only I quit for some reason. Think it got very hard for my lower back, this time around I'll try to avoid that from happening.

I'm currently doing each muscle group every 6 days, I think doing 2 muscle groups per workout will suit me the best. I'm thinking something like this:

Day1 Back/Triceps
Day2 Legs/Biceps
Day3 Chest/Shoulders
Day4 Rest
Day5 Repeat day 1

As you can see my priorities are the biggest muscle groups being back, legs and chest. Shoulders isn't a big priority at this time, besides with my choice of chest excersises being dips and incline bench, they should get some work that way as well. Biceps might feel the back excersise from the day before, but I'd rather have that then putting triceps the day before chest/shoulders (I think triceps is more important and biceps is a smaller muscle group) and I don't see that there's anyway around that anyway.
If you would group it differently let me know.

Any comments welcome! I usually train very hard to failure or close to failure (as hard as I can without a training partner, forced reps or such) but I guess I'll have to step back a little if I'm about to do this.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Comment by 2xweek full body program!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »
Starting to wonder if working triceps for example is even necessary, let's say I do dips twice a week on my chest days, then to add to that, dips for triceps on back day twice a week as well... not sure that would be beneficial.

Z

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
I dont know what exercises your doing on these days but I couldnt do legs and back right next to each other because deads one day and then squats sounds like alot on the lower back and spine in general. Thats just me though.
I do:
mon-chest/bi's
tue-back/abs
wed- off or sometimes cardio
thu-tri's/abs/cardio
fri-legs/light chest/bi's

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 12:38:39 PM »
Good point, I'll think it over and see if that will affect my program
Z

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 01:57:23 PM »
Ok I'm thinking of giving a full body program a shot. Guess I got a little inspired of the talk here, besides I've done it before only I quit for some reason. Think it got very hard for my lower back, this time around I'll try to avoid that from happening.

I'm currently doing each muscle group every 6 days, I think doing 2 muscle groups per workout will suit me the best. I'm thinking something like this:

Day1 Back/Triceps
Day2 Legs/Biceps
Day3 Chest/Shoulders
Day4 Rest
Day5 Repeat day 1

As you can see my priorities are the biggest muscle groups being back, legs and chest. Shoulders isn't a big priority at this time, besides with my choice of chest excersises being dips and incline bench, they should get some work that way as well. Biceps might feel the back excersise from the day before, but I'd rather have that then putting triceps the day before chest/shoulders (I think triceps is more important and biceps is a smaller muscle group) and I don't see that there's anyway around that anyway.

Any comments welcome! I usually train very hard to failure or close to failure (as hard as I can without a training partner, forced reps or such) but I guess I'll have to step back a little if I'm about to do this.
this would make more sense:
Day1 biceps/Triceps
Day2 Legs
Day3 Chest/Shoulders
Day4 back
Day5 Repeat day 1

AND I WOULD GIVE SHOULDERS THERE OWN DAY TOO...
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »

Day1 Back/Triceps
Day2 Legs/Biceps
Day3 Chest/Shoulders
Day4 Rest
Day5 Repeat day 1

When training full body workouts, you need a slightly different approach compared to assigning a day to each body part. The recovery time will be shorter, and the muscle will be worked more frequently, so the sets cannot be taken to failure in the same way as when you train a muscle group once a week.

I suggest you take your time to read through the HST website, http://www.hsnhst.com

Also, I recommend picking 9-12 excersises for your full body workout, two sets for each muscle group.

Here's a sample

Deadlift
Incline benchpress (20-30 degrees)
Squat, every other workout front squat
Seated shoulder DB presses
One armed DB rows, every other workout Seated one armed pulley rows.
Dips (weighted)
Chins (weighted)
Calf raises
Side lateral raises
DB curls
Close grip benchpress
Ab work

Note: Be sure to make honest estimations of your max lifts when calculating your reps for the workouts throughout the HST cycle. It will max your gains.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 03:10:08 PM »
I've read some about HST before but it was a little bit too scientific and too much calculating for my taste, but I will check out the site again and see if I can find some stuff to apply
Z

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 05:21:33 PM »
I've read some about HST before but it was a little bit too scientific and too much calculating for my taste, but I will check out the site again and see if I can find some stuff to apply

You can always try training each of the excersises mentioned above using around 8 reps, and 2 sets of each excersise. Use weights where you'll be one or two reps short of total failure. You'll have to wing it somewhat, but you'll be able to try it for at least 3-4 weeks and get an idea of what it's like.

During that time, read up a little on the HST, look for applying it after these weeks of full body workouts.

JMO

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Yeah I'm going to stop a few reps short of failure and try it out a little. As for the program I will make a few changes, having back followed by legs next day, or the other way around, will not be so sound considering I've had some problems with my lowerback in the past and I don't want it to be a weak link that will come into play when working these two big and important muscle groups. I rather lift out direct arm work all together if necessary.

I need to think it over a little.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:21:01 AM »
Bah!

I'm confused.

Even if I change it around I don't get around back following legs or the other way around:

mon: back
tue: chest
wed: legs
thur: rest
fri: back
sat: chest
sun: legs

then following that is of course... BACK again  :(
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 07:15:53 AM »
Ok I've done some calculating:

My current split:
Number of days: 31
Rest days: 10
back: 5
chest-shoulders: 5
legs: 5

Training every bodypart every 6 days, arms getting their own day as well (5 times over those 31 days)

I would replace that with this program:

Number of days. 31
Rest days: 7
back: 8
chest-shoulders: 8
legs:8

I could put in a few more training days, but then there would be less rest and leg days would be followed by back next day, which I don't think would be too wise. (I will throw in biceps/triceps somewhere in this program as well)

The cons on this would be that arms no longer get their own day and that there's a little less rest. I also will  have to step back a little on the intensity. But 3 more training days per each muscle group a month I think outweights this. Hopefully.
Z

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 08:54:18 AM »
K.I.S.S.     (keep it simple Stupid)

Monday...Upper body
Wednsday...Lower body
Friday...Upper body

Following Monday start:

Monday...Lower body
Wednsday...Upper body
Friday...Lower body

Alternate again the next Monday, Upper body, Wednsday, Lower body, etc, etc, etc,.

If so worried about where DL's fit in, than just don't do them. They are not the only exercise to get a huge back from. Never go to failure. Never have a seperate day for arms or a seperate day for delts. If calves are lagging than do them after each workout. To drastic ends, do  calf raises/stretches throughout the day, every hour or so on a non workout day but do not do them in your regular workouts.

If you were doing a true full body workout, than Workout three or as little as twice a seven day week.  Might consider;

Squats or BB Hack squats
BB rows or heavy chins
Dips (weighted) or Inclines
UPright rows or DB side press
Triceps French press (standing)
BB curl, heavy.

For the really bold hearted, who seek adventure in weight training and the maxium results in the shortest amount of time, might consider this:

Squat clean & jerk.  3X10-12 reps.
* caution this is a ball breaker. May also force you to buy larger suits & shirts before spring starts, Be Aware.

Good Luck.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »
Hey JPM, i am gonna ask probs obvious question....but is a squat clean and jerk just a clean, and once uv cleaned weight up u continue down into fron squat then after u cum up u press weight up??Al done in one smooth motion????
Sounds nice (haha)

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »
Curious Davie:  As you pull the bar from the floor, you raise it high enought (usually lower pec/chest range or below..depends on the person) so you can squat down beneath the moving bar to catch it as falls back to the floor while your in that squat  squat position (usually). In other words, your squating down as your pulling the bar up. Catching the bar in that position, the exercise becomes a front squat. Raising to standing position you can either jerk or push press the bar overhead. I prefer the push press but both are outstanding shoulder girdle movements. Do not drop the bar to the floor from the overhead position (unless you have a Olympic style platform and rubber bumper plates on the 45's). Bring the bar back to the chest and than to the floor in a controled manner.  The C&J (or press) is a prime mass builder when done with higher BB'ing reps and doing 2 or 3 sets.

I'm sure someone (probably the stunning and lovely Princess L will treat us to some exercise video of the C&J)  will have a file or site on it. Good Luck.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 06:07:47 PM »
Curious Davie:  As you pull the bar from the floor, you raise it high enought (usually lower pec/chest range or below..depends on the person) so you can squat down beneath the moving bar to catch it as falls back to the floor while your in that squat  squat position (usually). In other words, your squating down as your pulling the bar up. Catching the bar in that position, the exercise becomes a front squat. Raising to standing position you can either jerk or push press the bar overhead. I prefer the push press but both are outstanding shoulder girdle movements. Do not drop the bar to the floor from the overhead position (unless you have a Olympic style platform and rubber bumper plates on the 45's). Bring the bar back to the chest and than to the floor in a controled manner.  The C&J (or press) is a prime mass builder when done with higher BB'ing reps and doing 2 or 3 sets.

I'm sure someone (probably the stunning and lovely Princess L will treat us to some exercise video of the C&J)  will have a file or site on it. Good Luck.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 08:42:27 PM »

Day1 Back/Triceps
Day2 Legs/Biceps
Day3 Chest/Shoulders
Day4 Rest
Day5 Repeat day 1

Starting to wonder if working triceps for example is even necessary, let's say I do dips twice a week on my chest days, then to add to that, dips for triceps on back day twice a week as well... not sure that would be beneficial.

OMG Bluto! You're making my head hurt  ;D

You sound very analytical, calculating and precise yet HST was too much  ???  Give it another look-see.
I've got 3 guys on it right now (one in his 3rd cycle) and they're loving it. 
If & when you're ready, I've got an excel spreadsheet that makes calculating everything a breeze.  PM me if you want it.
:

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 01:40:08 AM »
Thanks PL I might just do that  :D
Z

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 11:51:25 AM »
Think il stick with clean push press instead of clean and jerk (for the moment)

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 11:46:23 AM »
I am hoping to start a full body program soon (mayb next week or start of february):
Something along lines of JPM wrote on hear earlier.
MON=
Squats 3x6
clean squat push press 3x12
Pullover and Press 2/3x15
BB rows 3x8
Incline DB Bench 3x8
DB press 3x8
Rear Lat 2x10
Tricep weights dips 3x12
BB curl, heavy. 3x8

WED=
BB hack Squat 3x12
Deadlift 2/3x7
T-Bar Row 2x10- Then   2x8 Closegrip palms facing Pulldowns. 2 heavy and then 1 light set after.
Flat DB press or slight inclin BB 3x8
Lateral Raises 3x10
rear lat raises 2x10
Close grip Bench 3x8
Hammer Curls 3x8

FRI=
Same as monday????

What u think. I think volume is ok for all parts, may be a wee bit high on shoulders,but let me know. Im just fine tuning at the mo before i start it in February.

davie