Author Topic: reps  (Read 1702 times)

Zukoman

• Getbig I
reps
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
Should you do as many reps as possible each set or only do a predetermined amount of reps whether you are able to do more or not?

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
Re: reps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:48 AM »
as many as possible for 1 set

do leg press
military
row
bench

4 sets 3x a week no warmup sets

get ripped n huge

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »
Should you do as many reps as possible each set or only do a predetermined amount of reps whether you are able to do more or not?

Your question sounds like you're asking whether to go to failure or not. Going to failure is a training tool that should be used from time to time. How it became a training protocol that should  be followed every training period is beyond me. Power lifters and Olympic lifters do not train to failure every training day. Neither do runners, bikers or swimmers. Having said this beginners should train to failure when they train.

If you train to failure you really can't do more than one or two sets per exercise. Many volume trainers do something like this. They will do an exercise for say 5 sets of 10. Set one they will stop at 10.  They can do around 16 reps to failure but they stop at 10. Set two they stop at 10. If they went all out maybe they could have got 13 reps. Set three they stop at 10 reps again. They could have gotten 12 reps. Set four they fail at 10 reps. Set 5 they fail at 8 reps trying to get 10.  Many feel this gets more muscle fibers.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Training for one set to failure is very mentally tough. You can do a non taxing warm up set then one brutal set to failure. It's draining but it is effective for awhile. The question is for an experienced trainer is how strong can you get?

I trained with HIT for decades. Never more than one or two sets per exercise. It's a brutal way to train. As I get older I am coming to realize maybe a bit to late that volume has a lot to offer. The majority of champs have used volume. Very few have used HIT despite the  HIT cult propaganda.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
That might be a bated question, asked by Mr Z, to see how many would fall for it. Or maybe Mr Z is that confused by the basics of training. Or maybe a combo of both, who really knows. See not too many jumped to answer that since 12-19-13 and Mr Z  appears to have vanished all together.

As far as reps go:

20 reps can do for you what 5 reps can't. And 5 reps can do for you what 20 reps can't. In other word, you have to experiment with reps and sets to find what will give your the best results in the shortest amount of time. 20 reps can build  muscle mass, as well as 5 reps, just have to spend a little time to find what works for your individual body type.

Try not being influenced by Mr Big Balls of 2013 (or any other "champ"), and what he may suggest or do in any of his video's. Or the gym "expert" who seems to know all the answers. Also including me (no expert by any means) or any one else on GB. Take any advise, or new idea, and approach with caution at first. Try a new program for a good 6 to 7 weeks, the first 2 weeks are more of a breaking in period, getting  accustomed to the change in exercise style, etc. If results seem good, than you get an idea of how your body responds to that type of workout. If no, or poor, results...than try something different.

Going to failure, for a BB'er, is really never needed. And may even halt progress for some. If wishing to try experimenting with that, and other different methods, that help yourself. You will only find out the results by doing it on yourself.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) might be a good motto to keep in mind when planning any future workout. I know I do.  Good Luck
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Personally.....I train to about 85-90 percent of failure......I don't really count reps......but I would guess that my reps are in the neighborhood of 8-10.

you should certainly train for a pump!!! feel the muscle work!!!

IMHO

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
I change my programs a lot out of just boredom or staleness after training for 40 years. I'm back to a Yates inspired program of one work set. In the beginning of the cycle even with one set I try not to bring the set to the extreme failure end point. Maybe by the 4th week I will be there. Now I just terminate the set a couple of reps short. Training to failure is brutal for all sets.

Kurt

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
That might be a bated question, asked by Mr Z, to see how many would fall for it. Or maybe Mr Z is that confused by the basics of training. Or maybe a combo of both, who really knows. See not too many jumped to answer that since 12-19-13 and Mr Z  appears to have vanished all together.

As far as reps go:

20 reps can do for you what 5 reps can't. And 5 reps can do for you what 20 reps can't. In other word, you have to experiment with reps and sets to find what will give your the best results in the shortest amount of time. 20 reps can build  muscle mass, as well as 5 reps, just have to spend a little time to find what works for your individual body type.

Try not being influenced by Mr Big Balls of 2013 (or any other "champ"), and what he may suggest or do in any of his video's. Or the gym "expert" who seems to know all the answers. Also including me (no expert by any means) or any one else on GB. Take any advise, or new idea, and approach with caution at first. Try a new program for a good 6 to 7 weeks, the first 2 weeks are more of a breaking in period, getting  accustomed to the change in exercise style, etc. If results seem good, than you get an idea of how your body responds to that type of workout. If no, or poor, results...than try something different.

Going to failure, for a BB'er, is really never needed. And may even halt progress for some. If wishing to try experimenting with that, and other different methods, that help yourself. You will only find out the results by doing it on yourself.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) might be a good motto to keep in mind when planning any future workout. I know I do.  Good Luck

Good advice. I also try to keep a consistent training and diet regimen
for 6-7 weeks. Then I reassess, and try to change the regimen minimally. The point is how do you know what works, except by experimentation and consistency? I am no expert by any means as well. I throw out my theories for constructive feedback, and to share what has and has not worked for me over the years. 

For reps, here is an example I like to use....

3 sets of incline dumbell press...

75 lb x 10 reps
80 lb x 8 reps
85 lb x 6 reps

Once I can perform this weight/rep scheme, the next time I perform this, I work for:

75 lb x 12 reps
80 lb x 10 reps
85 lb x 8 reps

Once I can perform this scheme, I move up the dumbells in 5 lb increments and go back to the 10, 8 ,6 rep scheme. If I feel I can
surpass the second scenario, I slow the reps down. This way, I am
steadily increasing the load I am lifting. 

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
I do min of 20 reps for 4/6 sets...  this is after warming up of course
a