Author Topic: Who is the greatest Mixed Martial Artist of all time?  (Read 18115 times)

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
Who is the greatest Mixed Martial Artist of all time?
« on: January 08, 2006, 07:42:28 PM »
I'll leave it to you to decide what "greatest" means.

I'm gonna go with Dan Severn. The man debuted and completely dominated. He had natural strength. He wasn't some jock that decided to take a few cycles and a week of BJJ and jump in there. He was a true talent. A world class wrestler and a black belt. I like him too because he seemed like a clean cut and humble guy. In my opinion he would have continued to dominate if his age hadn't caught up with him. I also think he was a better fighter than Gracie, and their boring fight was a fix.
"Shut the F up and train"

vinniedablade

• Getbig II
  • It's not vengeance...It's Punishment!
Re: Who is the greatest Mixed Martial Artist of all time?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:15:16 PM »
yo

well dan was good but i think randy couture is the best
(my 2 cents)

vinnie

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 02:46:23 AM »
Well obviously some of the Pride fighters are up there... out of them I would pick Crocop, he's done extremely well considering his background as a stand up fighter only... there's no bjj there, no judo, no wrestling in high school... and in a short time after fighting in K-1 he was fighting the top fighters of Pride like Wanderlei, Sakuraba, Noguiera etc.

For the US I like Mark Kerr, especially his first fights that you can watch clips on in the documentary about him, if I remember correctly he took a flight to Brasil and fought with no gloves, true NHB and won... and he had very limited experience at that time, pretty much came straight outta wrestling... true warrior.
Z

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:02:32 AM »
Fedor

And he'd kill Severn in his prime.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:04:30 AM »
Fedor

I agree,  Fedor has beaten every opponent he has ever faced,(including TK, who got lucky and won the first fight because of a cut) 
Predictions
 40/61

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 10:34:51 AM »
i would say either Masrk Kerr or Marco Ruas. Ruas was a monster, was voted the most complete fighter of the 20th century and could beat you on the ground or standing up. Kerr was unstoppable before the rules were changed and his wife fucked his head up
Scouser on Tour

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:38:56 AM »
Fedor

I agree

fedor's like a Man against boys

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 02:34:47 PM »
rickson by armbar ;D
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »
i would say either Masrk Kerr or Marco Ruas. Ruas was a monster, was voted the most complete fighter of the 20th century and could beat you on the ground or standing up. Kerr was unstoppable before the rules were changed and his wife fucked his head up

I'm gonna go with Ruas.

Anyone else that has seen the Vale Tudo World Championships II? Great tape, with Pedro Rizzo kicking Tiger White's ass in the under card, which is a tourney, and Taktarov-Ruas fighting their second fight for main event.

The rules of that particular Vale Tudo tourney kicks ass with everything I've seen since. One round of 30 minutes, no breaks.

No gloves. Only restriction was no eyegouging or fishhooking. Everything else was allowed.

Taktarov was a beast as well. Fcuking monster, hehe, can't understand how he could endure those Thai kicks of Ruas.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 10:14:51 PM »
James West would kill any of them.  Butit has to be more than 2 or 3 or more cause he can't fight one on one

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 06:16:28 AM »
James West would kill any of them.  Butit has to be more than 2 or 3 or more cause he can't fight one on one

artie gordon was a puss

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 06:46:18 AM »
I would say Bas Rutten..  there is no other fighter that could do everything in the book like this guy.  Definitely the most dynamic.  Extremely talented and experienced.  Also the smartest fighter I'd ever seen. 

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 09:26:28 AM »
Ken Shamrock owned him in their fight, which i have posted the ending to on here before. Bas was great but certainly wasnt the best. Best looking maybe lol hence his nickname
Scouser on Tour

JUSTJAXX

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 01:36:04 PM »
its one of those questions that cant be answered...evolution will bring out better and better fighters as time goes on

instead, you might want to think about the fighters contributions to the sport of MMA in addition to his ability, the guys that changed the game.  its obviously a much bigger list, or then its just another "who's the greatest (insert type of athlete here) of all time" question...

and in that case, over the years, i'd have to include folks like
royce, both shamrocks, severn, tank, ruas, couture, liddell, miletich, jeremy horn, maurice smith...the list goes on.  they've all done much more than just win and/or dominate their fights

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
this is a tough one, but I'm going to have to go with Spiderman.  Not only is he freaky strong and ridiculously agile, but he has that "spidersense", which makes him next to impossible to hit.

Don't be a fool.

Apocolypse by armbar, 2nd round.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
id say fedor at this present time,i think arlosvski could give him some work if they fought though,but i dont see it happening cause of pride and ufc.
R

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »
id say fedor at this present time,i think arlosvski could give him some work if they fought though,but i dont see it happening cause of pride and ufc.

I don't think that would be much of a fight at present day.  Arlovski looks amazing, but hasn't been fighting near the competition Fedor has.  I'd look like a pretty wicked fighter too... If I was taking on pre-schoolers  ;D.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 10:03:56 AM »
Arlovski doesnt have a half decent challenger just yet and wont do for the forseeable future. His best bet would be to quit and join Pride, but hes onto a good thing right now. Each fight for him is easy money
Scouser on Tour

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »
Aleks should go to the UFC.  He would be a contender and give Arlovski a really good fight.  If he stays in pride he'll never reach his potential since I doubt he'll fight his own brother for the belt.

Mosesinthesea

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 04:24:32 AM »
for the person who picked Randy Couture -- his record is 14-7...How can you choose someone who loses once for every two times he wins?   The greatest MM Artist of all time should have almost no blemishes on his record.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 07:45:04 AM »
not every loss is by a tap out or a KO, judges have made several dodgy decisions in the past. I think a fight should go on until there is a clear winner
Scouser on Tour

jpmass

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »
 If only his chick and overdosing didn't fuck him up.......Mark Kerr

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
Fedor or Rickson.  I will say there's alot of top notch fighters today, Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, GSP all wrapped into one division in the UFC, that's a good weight division if you ask me.  Vande is good, so is Chuck. 

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 11:12:17 PM »
ken shamrock. divided his time with wrestling and lost the opportunity to make a bigger impression.

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 10:35:02 AM »
but he made around $3 million out of it  ;D
Scouser on Tour