Author Topic: Pullover press  (Read 3382 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Pullover press
« on: January 09, 2006, 08:18:59 AM »
This is an xercise i have swapped into the end of my chest routine. I have done DB pullovers b4 but never pullover press.....I am right in thinking you just do normal pullover but when weights at top of rep u lower and do a press movement, the only prob i see with this is that you cannot lower the weight down that far (even with me having pretty long arms) as the bottom of the DB hits your chest. My tri's ached after 3 sets of this though.
ALSO, when doing this or any pullover eexercise whould you lie on bench or accross it so only upper back shoulders are on bench????

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
Re: Pullover press
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:55:42 PM »
When doing pullovers you probably arn't using an extremely heavy weight so the pressing movement is most likely a wasted motion.
Intensity; the measure of man

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:27:03 PM »
Doing a press after each rep of a pullover only increases the value of the pullovers. This is one of the better compound movements, hitting the pec's, lat's, triceps & abs mostly. Any one can work up to some pretty respectable poundage in this exercise after a while. A press off the chest may seem fairly easy after the first 3 or 4 reps but after that, with the triceps and pec's being hit pretty hard by the pullover, it matches the effort of the puillover.  230 lbs, and above, is not out of the question when doing the pullover & press. I prefer using DB's, which tend to be easier on my wrist, giving a more natural hand position throughout the exercise. Using 125lb DB's, and above, are also not out of the question over time when doing this exercise for higher reps. I do believe that this exercise responds better to a higher rep range, like 10 to 20 reps. I've used GVT, with the P&P's as the only upper body movement, and got very good results. Good Luck.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »
That's a pretty indepth answer, sounds good to me!
Intensity; the measure of man

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 03:37:50 AM »
I use the pullover and press as a transition movement in my chest and triceps day. Either 4 or 6 sets, i occasionally superset them with curls or reverse curls.

I tend to use an EZ bar rather than a straght bar, i find it easier on my shoulders and in addition i find it puts more empahsis on the triceps which is exactly what i want from their current placement in my routine.

As for postion on the bench, with pullovers i do either across or lying on the bench but with pullover and press i always lie on the bench.

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 06:46:51 AM »
I also perform pullovers on chest day and they have always worked for me.  In the past, I went heavy for 10-12 reps.  I recently lowered the weight and went for 18-20 reps and the results have been solid.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 11:45:22 AM »
So the consensus is that higher reps between 12-20 is teh best way????

Only problem i find is that the bottom of the DB hits chest wen doing the press part of the movement. So i am only doing a half press rep, but tris still burn.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah