Author Topic: Danny Hester at 45 ~ what does GB think of him?  (Read 11055 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Danny Hester 45 ~ what does GB think of him?
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »
seems cool

uses roids for sure

and lots of spraytan snookie style
was in response to this.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »
Why do I even bother?  I've got more important things to do like take a stroll down to the beach n watch the sweaty guys play volley ball.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »
Why do I even bother?  I've got more important things to do like take a stroll down to the beach n watch the sweaty guys play volley ball.
;D..at least ur there in nice weather..

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:36 AM »

State Beach, Manhattan, Hermosa? Please don't tell me Santa Monica pier.
a

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
State Beach, Manhattan, Hermosa? Please don't tell me Santa Monica pier.
Redondo. Be meandering my way up to the Mecca as soon as I get my ass in gear. Or gear in ass.  Naw I don't even drink caffeine remember haha!

We lost the golds down here which was pretty much gay even in the nineties. I always made the trek to Venice even back then. Dave fishers gym is down this way. Its cool too but Venice is in my blood

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »
 :D   Hey that Redondo Golds was a solid gym for many years. Great location. Pretty well equipped. Lots of girls. Still close enough to Venice to be in the mix but a little more sane. Trained there 12-15 times.
a

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
:D   Hey that Redondo Golds was a solid gym for many years. Great location. Pretty well equipped. Lots of girls. Still close enough to Venice to be in the mix but a little more sane. Trained there 12-15 times.
yeah. Some greats would train there on occasion. Saw flex all the time. Serge. N u r right lots of women. But never had the same work ethic. Now its just a real piece of shit. Some fitness place. I would train mostly at Venice but remember back then a golds membership meant travel pass so u could train at any golds. I would occ train in Redondo if I couldn't make the trip up to Venice. I used to work for Jerry McCall up north at the San Jose golds chains back in the day. Those were n still r some of the best equipped gyms anywhere. Dare I say even more so than the Mecca.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
U working out today tommy?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
yeah. Some greats would train there on occasion. Saw flex all the time. Serge. N u r right lots of women. But never had the same work ethic. Now its just a real piece of shit. Some fitness place. I would train mostly at Venice but remember back then a golds membership meant travel pass so u could train at any golds. I would occ train in Redondo if I couldn't make the trip up to Venice. I used to work for Jerry McCall up north at the San Jose golds chains back in the day. Those were n still r some of the best equipped gyms anywhere. Dare I say even more so than the Mecca.

Kick ass gym(s). Some of the Nor Cal Golds were some of the very first Gold's franchises.  I believe Scott Wilson might have been connected with Jerry and his Gold's Trained at the big warehouse San Jose Golds several times. I don't remember the street. Trained at Steve O'Brien's Gold's in Walnut Creek for years.  Good times indeed.
a

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
tommy

did scott wilson do all the ellington darden mentor stuff or was that just a commercial arrangement??

also people used to go on about how wide he was- was this so?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
U working out today tommy?

Absolutely.  Squat day today.  I am competing in February and am currently cycling my squats and deadlifts.  It's a full power meet but they also have a deadlift only comp and that's what I'm doing. The squat cycle is clearly helping my DL's so I'll run it right to the end along with my Deadlift cycle.

You?
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
tommy

did scott wilson do all the ellington darden mentor stuff or was that just a commercial arrangement??

also people used to go on about how wide he was- was this so?

Funny story. I first meet Scott Wilson when he was training with Casey Viator. I was training with Don Ross (RIP Ripper) and Wilson and Viator were training. Viator was huge- Scott Wilson was bigger.  Very wide indeed. Crazy forearms, even compared to Viator. Lots and lots of volume. 25+ sets for back. 25 sets for shoulders etc.  Probably 1982.
a

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
good stories/memories.. silk/tommy..

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
Absolutely.  Squat day today.  I am competing in February and am currently cycling my squats and deadlifts.  It's a full power meet but they also have a deadlift only comp and that's what I'm doing. The squat cycle is clearly helping my DL's so I'll run it right to the end along with my Deadlift cycle.

You?
yup. Look for the hippy w the brickyard gym shirt. I met Scott in 84. Helluva nice guy. I still have old classic black n whites of the sj golds.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
You ol' hippy you.
a

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
Ok. Wife made me stop at coffee bean now I can post without running over pedestrians. Scott Wilson was one of the widest guys if ever met. Really nice too. Had forearms like coils of cable. Crazy. Real soft spoken. I can't remember the street either. Not even sure if the sj golds was even assoc w Jerry. Jerry opened mountain view, freemont, the sj I think. I could be wrong. Then opened Santa Clara. I never saw the old David eqpt at Jerry's that was at Scott's. Maybe the sj went under then was opened in diff location later?  Can't remember. I do know that Jerry was eventually inducted in to the corporate golds hall of fame for the success of his huge gyms.

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
can we have more of these tales of yore

in the UK we only used to see pics in mags- and not a lot else

so more please - it was mad enough seeing them in mags to see them in real life at what was no doubt the golden age must have been nuts

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
I remember him from 1991 when he won the L.A. championship (middleweight class). And he and Vinny Galanti were on the cover of the one issue of Muscle Media I bought in 1996. That where I read about and bought a can of EAS' Phoshagen HP. Loading with that for the first time, I put on 7 pounds in a week and 12 pounds in 21/2 weeks.

But, it's taken him over 20 years to get a pro card? Talk about perseverance!!!

Vinny retired from competing last year but is still sponsored by Universal. This leg training clip with his nephew was posted today:

Vinny Galanti: Leg Day, February 2014

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »
Vinny retired from competing last year but is still sponsored by Universal. This leg training clip with his nephew was posted today:

Shitty video.  Shitty leg workout.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »
I AGREE,,BUT OTHER POSTER SAID HE IS USUALLY PALE,,HE LOOKS TO DARK TO ME.

He was referring to his Penis.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »

vinny was someone's build i admired being from jersey competing same time he was on another level all together than me ,but still i was middleweight too ,he jumped up to lightheavy and rest was history,he had exceptional flow and shape/waistline as a middle/lightheavy ,did jersey proud.his nephew i wish him luck,gene pool different all together,vinny was more pretty boy in terms of marketing his look esp as up and comer..

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:16 PM »

Always liked Vinnys physique

Seems to be a class act and approachable guy

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
Always liked Vinnys physique

Seems to be a class act and approachable guy
very on both counts.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Danny Hester at 45 ~ what does GB think of him?
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 10:12:36 PM »

Danny Hester I think lives out in Oxnard, California (about 30 miles from where I live).  I see him quite a bit out at various contests and expo.  Knows quite a lot of people, and always very respectful.  He is considered one of the best bodybuilders to never turn pro (he would of easily had the current pro system been around).  I think he competed 20 years ago, and also last year, and still placed in the top 2. 

We lost the golds down here which was pretty much gay even in the nineties. I always made the trek to Venice even back then. Dave fishers gym is down this way. Its cool too but Venice is in my blood

The Gold's Gym Redondo Beach turned to be Revolution Gym, which went bankrupt, surprising its members about 2-3 months ago. Sad, because that was a cool gym right next to the ocean there. Dave Fisher owns the Powerhouse Gym in Torrance (which is not a big gym at all but always cool).  I did a photoshoot in there once back.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Danny Hester at 45 ~ what does GB think of him?
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:27 AM »
Danny Hester I think lives out in Oxnard, California (about 30 miles from where I live).  I see him quite a bit out at various contests and expo.  Knows quite a lot of people, and always very respectful.  He is considered one of the best bodybuilders to never turn pro (he would of easily had the current pro system been around).  I think he competed 20 years ago, and also last year, and still placed in the top 2. 

The Gold's Gym Redondo Beach turned to be Revolution Gym, which went bankrupt, surprising its members about 2-3 months ago. Sad, because that was a cool gym right next to the ocean there. Dave Fisher owns the Powerhouse Gym in Torrance (which is not a big gym at all but always cool).  I did a photoshoot in there once back.

who'd u shoot?  I was told Mike O'hearn n others do a lotta shoots there. Worked out there. Few times. Really cool place very small but have what u need for a good workout.