Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 180428 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Not sure if the nominee will come from this group, but there are some good people on the list.  I like what I've been hearing from Cruz.  Still like Rubio.  

Dark horse for me is Martinez.  Will probably be another one or two that nobody is talking about.

16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
Friday, 03 Jan 2014
By Bill Hoffmann

As 2014 kicks off, it is apparent that a crystal-clear frontrunner for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination has yet to emerge.

Not unlike 2010, the Republican stage is crowded with potential candidates boasting different degrees of conservatism, from tea party favorites like Ted Cruz to moderates like Peter King and liberal-leaning Republicans like Chris Christie.

The GOP again faces the daunting task of wading through a large field of prospects to pick a candidate to challenge the presumed Democratic choice of Hillary Clinton.

He or she must be a stronger choice than Mitt Romney, be ready to navigate the choppy waters of the liberal media, and appeal to a broad base of the Republican Party, which for now remains deeply splintered.

Here are 16 names (in alphabetical order) to keep an eye on as we edge closer to 2016:

Jeb Bush

Personal: Age: 60; former two-term governor of Florida; son of former President George H.W. Bush and brother of former President George W. Bush; married, three children.

Pros: Regarded as a successful and popular governor in a key battleground state; part of the Bush political dynasty; has high Latino support; speaks Spanish.

Cons: Has the electorate had enough of the Bush family? Even matriarch Barbara Bush seems to think so. Of course if he runs against Hillary Clinton, one could ask the same question about that surname.

Dr. Ben Carson

Personal: Age: 62; former director of pediatric neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital; married.

Pros: Rational, plain speaking; brilliant medical background; gained national attention with biting speech against Obamacare at the National Prayer Breakfast, with the president sitting on the dais.

Cons: Has never held political office and lacks political experience on any level; likely considered a one-trick-pony opposing Obamacare.

Chris Christie

Personal: Age: 51; governor of New Jersey, just elected in a landslide to a second term; former U.S. Attorney for New Jersey; married, four children.

Pros: High approval ratings; good grades for his fast response to the Hurricane Sandy disaster; GOP candidate most likely to appeal to Democrats; has a straightforward, no-nonsense style some find refreshing.

Cons: That no-nonsense style has also routinely rankled some, who feel he comes off as a manipulative bully; considered too liberal by many in the GOP; his weight has raised questions about his long-term health.

Ted Cruz

Personal: Age: 43; serving first term as U.S. senator from Texas; married, two children.

Pros: Beloved in the Bible Belt and regarded as one of the tea party's rising stars; extremely smart and articulate; staunch opposition to Obamacare and support for conservative ideals has endeared him to the GOP faithful; Cuban heritage aligns him with Hispanics.

Cons: Blamed for filibuster that spurred the government shutdown; intelligent, yes, but also can come off as arrogant; may be too conservative for some moderate Republicans, whom he rankled with his shutdown strategy; potential rival Rep. Peter King called him a "fraud."

Nikki Haley

Personal: Age: 41; governor of South Carolina; married, two children.

Pros: Like Bobby Jindal, would bring double diversity to the White House as an Indian-American and a plain-speaking southerner.

Cons: Little national recognition; was recently slapped with a fine and ethics warning for campaign donor violations

Mike Huckabee

Personal: Age: 58; former governor of Arkansas; ordained Baptist minister; married, three children.

Pros: Personable and glib; veteran TV and radio broadcaster with high visibility; former Southern Baptist pastor with strong religious support; strong on core conservative social principles.

Cons: Is already finding opposition among the conservative group Club For Growth for his fiscal policies while governor; failed to develop momentum for the nomination in 2008, despite winning some states.

Bobby Jindal

Personal: Age: 42; serving second term as governor of Louisiana; former U.S. representative; married, three children.

Pros: Would bring double diversity to the White House as an Indian-American and a southerner; has an impressive resume as a public servant, from, governor, to congressman, president of the state university system and assistant secretary of Health and Human Services (giving him an inside track on fixing Obamacare).

Cons: Has been considered a rising star in the party for several years, but has not developed much traction nationally; his biggest moment in the national spotlight — the 2009 GOP response to the State of the Union — was not well received.

John Kasich

Personal: Age: 61; governor of Ohio; former U.S. representative; married.

Pros: Impressive political chops: former U.S. congressman, Ohio senator; chairman of the House Committee on the Budget.

Cons: As was the case in 2000, when he considered a presidential run, Kasich has little national presence and is not even a blip on most polls; expanded Medicaid in Ohio over GOP opposition; got negative attention several years ago for calling a cop an "idiot" for giving him a traffic ticket.

Peter King

Personal: Age: 69; U.S. representative from New York; chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security; married, two children.

Pros: Outspoken and highly opinionated; strong in national security issues; scandal-free.

Cons: Too aligned with New York and the Northeast; made enemies in his party when he criticized slow GOP response on Hurricane Sandy aid; called rival Ted Cruz a "fraud," and Rand Paul "a disgrace to his office."

Susana Martinez

Personal: Age: 54; governor of New Mexico; married, one child.

Pros: Made history as first elected female governor of New Mexico and the first female Hispanic governor in the U.S.

Cons: Has said she is not interested in a White House run; could face heat from women for her pro-life stance; does not have a national presence.

Rand Paul

Personal: Age: 50; U.S. senator from Kentucky; son of former congressman and presidential candidate Ron Paul; married, three children.

Pros: Plain-speaking conservative with a solid record of backing core Republican values, such as the Second Amendment, immigration, and lower taxes; can build on the following his father developed during his previous presidential runs.

Cons: Launched a controversial filibuster against proposed CIA head John Brennan that was panned by some conservatives; dogged by recent accusations of plagiarism.

Rick Perry

Personal: Age: 63; serving 14th year as governor of Texas; married, two children.

Pros: Longest serving Texas governor; can tout a strong record on creating jobs and keeping taxes low; his strong stance against abortion made national news.

Cons: Trails fellow Texan Ted Cruz in visibility; burned bridges with women when he slammed Democratic Sen. Wendy Davis for her filibuster; could be haunted by gaffes from his last presidential run.

Marco Rubio

Personal: Age 42; in first term as U.S. senator from Florida; former speaker of the Florida House; married, four children.

Pros: Charismatic, articulate and politically savvy; popular with Latinos; gained national attention as head of "Gang of Eight" pushing immigration reform.

Cons: Alienated some in the party on his signature immigration reform campaign; like Jindal, failed to take advantage of his opportunity on the national stage and became known for the infamous "water bottle" incident during the State-of-the-Union rebuttal speech.

Paul Ryan

Personal: Age: 43; U.S. representative from Wisconsin; chairman of the House Budget Committee; GOP vice presidential candidate on Mitt Romney ticket in 2012; married, three children

Pros: High approval ratings from GOP, a conservative hero who champions cutting spending, taxes, and entitlements; scored points as a bipartisan bridge-builder after cutting budget deal with Democratic Sen. Patty Murray.

Cons: Was part of the Mitt Romney presidential disaster; may be too conservative for American mainstream.

Rick Santorum

Personal: Age: 55; former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania; former U.S. representative; married, eight children (one deceased).

Pros: Squeaky-clean and scandal free; one of the GOP's most respected social conservatives with a strong record opposing abortion and gay marriage.

Cons: Had a reputation as a spender in Congress; still fell short of the nomination in 2012, despite better-than-expected showing; might be considered too evangelical.

Scott Walker

Personal: Age: 46; governor of Wisconsin; married, two children.

Pros: Dynamic and articulate speaker who has gained traction in a recent book tour; showed off his substantial political skills in beating back a 2011 recall effort.

Cons: Needs to win re-election in 2014; while successful in his recall challenge, he took a beating from labor unions and teachers; needs to continue to establish a higher national profile.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/16-gop-presidential-contenders/2014/01/02/id/544921#ixzz2pkD11nx9

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
translation:

cruz or rand paul

dem media will love christie who is kinda a dem now

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Well, 13 out of 16 are burned and out of the running already, and the remaining three seem winded already. Here's to hoping some more viable candidates surface.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:01 PM »
Seriously. Im tired of my choices being between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

I want a decent fucking candidate already, one who doesnt give a shit about telling people how to live their lives, who actually gives a shit about the fiscal condition of our country, doesnt strip rights from citizens, doesn't stir up racial tensions and play the blame game, doesnt start needless wars, and at least SOMEWHAT respects the constitution

is that too much to ask for? I mean, its not like those are very high expectations.... although it seems like our current elected officials would have us believe, its akin to asking for jesus to resurrect and run for office... these fucks need to be weeded out and start being held accountable to the principles they swore to uphold

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
I don't know how romney lost.

Giant crony debt master obama runs up 9T debt in 4 years.

Successful businessman

IRS suppression and mob ground tactics to get th e400k votes needed to swing 7 swing stastes orestrated by israel no doubt.

mob action

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »
Seriously. Im tired of my choices being between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

I want a decent fucking candidate already, one who doesnt give a shit about telling people how to live their lives, who actually gives a shit about the fiscal condition of our country, doesnt strip rights from citizens, doesn't stir up racial tensions and play the blame game, doesnt start needless wars, and at least SOMEWHAT respects the constitution

Hear, hear!

is that too much to ask for?

Unfortunately... yes.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
forget the clown car; or a mini van; this calls for the full fledged Greyhound bus, baby!
the GOP debates will be stellar!
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
forget the clown car; or a mini van; this calls for the full fledged Greyhound bus, baby!
the GOP debates will be stellar!

Clown car?  How original. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
Clown car?  How original. 
  thank you. it is as original as most of the gop ideas.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »

I can tell you put a lot of time into your material. 

Neither party has many original ideas. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »

Actually, Rubio's idea of "Let all the illegals stay!" is pretty original.  Palin pioneered it in 2008 (
and he picked up the idea.  Party of Amnesty used to be the dems.  now?

2008:
When asked if she supported “a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants,” Palin responded that she did.
“I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here,” Palin said. “It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.”

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
Actually, Rubio's idea of "Let all the illegals stay!" is pretty original.  Palin pioneered it in 2008 (
and he picked up the idea.  Party of Amnesty used to be the dems.  now?

2008:
When asked if she supported “a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants,” Palin responded that she did.
“I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here,” Palin said. “It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.”
plus, there aren't enough Greyhound buses to haul everyone to the border.
w

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA.  That's it?

Might as well be polishing that silver platter that they are going to be the election on before handing it to the Dems.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA.  That's it?

Might as well be polishing that silver platter that they are going to be the election on before handing it to the Dems.

Handing it to who?  Who do you think will be running on the Democrat side in 2016? 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
I like the Paul Ryan that made the deal with the Democrats. He will probably take heat for it but i think it showed he is a politician with his feet in the real world.
Politics is many times about compromise its very hard to give everybody just what they want after all.

Haley looks good no idea about her abilities as a politician.

Im looking forward to watching Ben Carson in debates. I still think he will fail big time and expose himself. I know Beach like him so it will be interesting.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
Handing it to who?  Who do you think will be running on the Democrat side in 2016? 

With candidates like that for the GOP it doesn't matter who the Dems run. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
With candidates like that for the GOP it doesn't matter who the Dems run. 

Really?  So you think Biden wins if he runs and is the nominee? 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:47 PM »
Really?  So you think Biden wins if he runs and is the nominee? 

Imagine Biden as president. Good times ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
Imagine Biden as president. Good times ;D

it'd become 100% legal to fire warning & celebration shots, as long as you're only using a double barrelled shotgun :)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
it'd become 100% legal to fire warning & celebration shots, as long as you're only using a double barrelled shotgun :)

Imagine Biden shooting some guys foot off with a warning shot and then asking him to stand up afterwards.

Some of these are gold:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/joebiden/a/biden-quotes.htm

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
Hell I think a schmuck like Kerry would win against that field.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »
elizabeth warren might be the one to win it... the base will love her.  she's like the ron paul of the left.  total anti-banking.

being female doesn't hurt her either.  I can't think of any dems I'd put at #2 chance of winning.  I know, Kerry and others will think they have a chance,,, blah.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Hell I think a schmuck like Kerry would win against that field.

Kerry and Biden.  Wow.  You love your party don't you?  I don't see either one of them being formidable at all. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
Kerry and Biden.  Wow.  You love your party don't you?  I don't see either one of them being formidable at all. 

Then again, you see Carson, Palin, Perry, Cain and other clowns being legit contenders themselves, which says a lot about your opinion. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
Then again, you see Carson, Palin, Perry, Cain and other clowns being legit contenders themselves, which says a lot about your opinion. 

Wrong.  I don't have an opinion about Carson's viability.  Too soon to tell, but I do think he should stay involved in public policy.  That's all I've ever said about him.  Like him a lot.  Definitely smarter and more accomplished than Kerry and Biden. 

I do not think Palin can win.

I do not think Perry can win.

I do not think Cain is even running.

But none of that has anything to do with you thinking Kerry and Biden are a shoe-in to be president if they are the Democrat nominee.