Author Topic: Prayers needed for my great friend Ed Corney...  (Read 34529 times)

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Prayers needed for my great friend Ed Corney...
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
Sorry to hear this dys.....I say let him do  what he wants.
If its his time he'd want to go out like this.
I had an aunt once who on her death bed was whispering she wanted a rum and coke...all the older relatives in the room were in shock and of course ruled it out.I should have went back in there when they all left and gave her a few rum and cokes.
She passed the following day.
My 2 cents

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
I would actually suggest calling Arnold, him and Ed have history together, he might be able to talk some sense into him.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
Quite a mixed feelings post Dys, and I can understand that. But listen, if you care about him, which you obviously do, then forbid him to do any weights, just be honest with him! In case something happens, then not only the reputation of your gym and you as a staff member will be damaged, but you will prob also feel guilty for the rest of your life.
Well, that's just my honest opinion.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
Dys, how about trying to compromise with him using very light weights so it is basically aerobic! He probably is too stubborn but it's worth a try! Prolong the greatest poser in Bodybuilding's life as long as possible!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »
The guy is, what, 70-80 something? Let him lift, even if it kills him. He's lived a long, good life, and being told you can only do cardio is probably unthinkable for him. And most of us can probably empathize. Let the guy enjoy his final days/months/years.

No way will his possible death reflect poorly on you or your gym. Either way, thanks for the update.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
The benefits of aerobics have always been over-rated. Bodybuilding suits older guys. You do a set then rest. As you age you can rest a bit longer. The sets accumulate and you get the benefit. Let Ed continue to train as he figures is best for him.

Many of us older bodybuilders simply avoid any aerobics at all. If his body is used to the weights then he will cope with that kind of exercise.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
He's 80.

Let the man lift. If he wants to be known as the guy that died in the gym with an arm pump and a smile so be it. He earned that.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »
He's 80.

Let the man lift. If he wants to be known as the guy that died in the gym with an arm pump and a smile so be it. He earned that.
Yeah, what if the family decides to file a lawsuit after he dies in the gym?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
The benefits of aerobics have always been over-rated. Bodybuilding suits older guys. You do a set then rest. As you age you can rest a bit longer. The sets accumulate and you get the benefit. Let Ed continue to train as he figures is best for him.

Many of us older bodybuilders simply avoid any aerobics at all. If his body is used to the weights then he will cope with that kind of exercise.

there is emerging evidence that even a moderate aerobic exercise is good for long term brain health

Get at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise each day. Aerobic exercise actually activates the DNA that turns on the growth of the hippocampus, giving you a second chance at not only preserving, but actually enhancing memory function.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david-perlmutter-md/alzheimers-prevention_b_3965174.html

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/01/25/1015950108.abstract

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »

Well, first off every gym membership has hold harmless verbiage in the contract...and since this guy has had strokes and cardio issues well in the past I'd say the risk of that is known and possibly even less with a recent event.

If he works out for free and there is no paperwork, then yeah I guess get something signed.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »

Well, first off every gym membership has hold harmless verbiage in the contract...and since this guy has had strokes and cardio issues well in the past I'd say the risk of that is known and possibly even less with a recent event.

If he works out for free and there is no paperwork, then yeah I guess get something signed.
I`m sure his family could easily claim that he is not of sound mind.  One photograph of him at 80 years old "attempting" to "lift" 140 lb dumbbells for rows shown to a jury would be an easy sell.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »
He's a known quantity, hundreds of pics and many videos of him lifting with unusual intensity - into old age, post stroke with white hair.

I would wager that the family would lose...provided the case was tried in Florida or Texas, haha.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »

They wouldn't win. His condition is personal, the gym won't be held accountable.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
wow great thread, wish him the very best.

n

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:39 AM »
Sounds like you are in the unenviable position where you have to decide whether you are Ed's friend, or the gym owner.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »
Ed is in his 80's. If he wants to check out fighting the good fight; leave him alone and wish him well. It's not like either way is going to make a big difference at this point.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »
Thanks dys

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:31 AM »
You know what? This thread makes history. I agree with every single one of your responses.

Put yourself in my shoes. Look back over the responses. I said it. I AGREE with EVERY response, but I have to make a decision. Ed is a fucking LEGEND. What right do I have to do anything to stop him from his death wish?

And "NO" I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT that guy that comes to every show with him. He and I do NOT get along. The chick? Yes, but the other guy (no names) NO, NO, NO!!!!! he is a guy and still lives with mommy. He brings Ed to the gym, but Ed does NOT workout with him. Why? Because "this guy" comes to the gym to talk. Every gym has one. Ed is there to workout. 

Fuck my life.

Thanks for your responses and PM's ~ I still keep you fucks updated. Love you bitches. All of you. Homo? Yeah, sure. Whatever floats your boat.

I guess I'm still pissed. Thought I would be cool by now but this ain't over. Maybe I'm a control freak. Maybe I want it to end MY way and not Ed's. Again, who the fuck am I? Why did he wind up in my gym?

I think to much, but then the rest don't think at all.

More pics tomorrow....

God willing.

Peace. Out.
Are those 140's WTF, hide the heavy dumbbells when Ed comes in!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
You know what? This thread makes history. I agree with every single one of your responses.

Put yourself in my shoes. Look back over the responses. I said it. I AGREE with EVERY response, but I have to make a decision. Ed is a fucking LEGEND. What right do I have to do anything to stop him from his death wish?

And "NO" I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT that guy that comes to every show with him. He and I do NOT get along. The chick? Yes, but the other guy (no names) NO, NO, NO!!!!! he is a guy and still lives with mommy. He brings Ed to the gym, but Ed does NOT workout with him. Why? Because "this guy" comes to the gym to talk. Every gym has one. Ed is there to workout. 

Fuck my life.

How come you say you and Ed don't get along?

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
How come you say you and Ed don't get along?
I think he said the guy who comes in with Ed he doesn't get along with, not Ed.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
I think he said the guy who comes in with Ed he doesn't get along with, not Ed.

Ok, I misunderstood.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
Dys, how about trying to compromise with him using very light weights so it is basically aerobic! He probably is too stubborn but it's worth a try! Prolong the greatest poser in Bodybuilding's life as long as possible!

That's actually a good point. When you find out that someone is stubborn, and I believe that many elder people fell into this category, then you need to seek for compromises.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
The guy is, what, 70-80 something? Let him lift, even if it kills him. He's lived a long, good life, and being told you can only do cardio is probably unthinkable for him. And most of us can probably empathize. Let the guy enjoy his final days/months/years.

No way will his possible death reflect poorly on you or your gym. Either way, thanks for the update.

Speaking as an old guy, I agree with this.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
That's actually a good point. When you find out that someone is stubborn, and I believe that many elder people fell into this category, then you need to seek for compromises.
with all respect to Ed judging by wutever the fuk he's trying to to w those 140s he's not gonna listen anyway. He should know better but at his age I guess just him getting that db off the rack is impressive.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »

Fuck lawsuits....they will always be around... but ed won't!
Mr. AZ 2003