Author Topic: Australian Beach photos.  (Read 17807 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Australian Beach photos.
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
Byron Bay! About 10 hours north of Sydney. One of my favourite destinations. No fast food places there which sucks but the scenery and everything else is magic. They have a lookout at The Pass. This view is looking back towards Clark and Main Beaches at Byron Bay. This is a must visit destination for backpackers. The water temperature is about 24 degrees C in Feb to April. That is about 75 F. Just about perfect.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »
Wategoes Beach is just magic. The most easterly beach in Australia. The properties there are worth millions and why not, a sub-tropical paradise.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2014, 01:30:08 AM »
More documentary type photos. Took this of a shapely female surfing competitor. Snapper Rocks, Coolangatta, Queensland. Next comp is in early March. Goes for about 10 days because they surf only when conditions are satisfactory.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »
Here she is on a wave. I had a lot of respect for the gals after seeing them perform in competition.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2014, 01:39:44 AM »
Here she is after the set.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2014, 01:59:55 AM »
The curvy gal lost her heat to young Laura Enever from Sydney. Some gals wore board shorts while Laura preferred a briefer costume.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
I read what they have on Wiki re these nasty creatures. Interesting. Do they have nets in the ocean at Mackay? Otherwise where does one swim up there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish
I don't swim at any beaches with nets. When the water is infested with them the locals don't go in the ocean. It's only certain months that we have them. Where I swim has a lot of sting rays but I am just very cautious

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2014, 02:09:55 AM »
I don't swim at any beaches with nets. When the water is infested with them the locals don't go in the ocean. It's only certain months that we have them. Where I swim has a lot of sting rays but I am just very cautious

I haven't been north of Bundaberg. Seems there are disadvantages to living where there is no winter. I guess people have to have swimming pools and air conditioning to make things enjoyable. Harvey Bay seems to be the furthest north on the east coast that avoids some of those unpleasant things. How is the humidity in the summer up there? I imagine it isn't pleasant until about May. I am a geographer so know a bit about climate and that sort of thing. What keeps you up north?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2014, 02:15:51 AM »
I haven't been north of Bundaberg. Seems there are disadvantages to living where there is no winter. I guess people have to have swimming pools and air conditioning to make things enjoyable. Harvey Bay seems to be the furthest north on the east coast that avoids some of those unpleasant things. How is the humidity in the summer up there? I imagine it isn't pleasant until about May. I am a geographer so know a bit about climate and that sort of thing. What keeps you up north?
My hair is frizzing up when I curl it   >:( it's good for the skin though. But you are right about May being when it starts to be very liveable again. I have air con in my bedroom so that nights are comfortable . Currently I am doing no outdoor cardio.... It's all indoors at the gym. I moved back here to be close to family when my partner died.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2014, 02:17:13 AM »
Nambucca Heads sounds odd but has the best ocean-beach view on the East Coast. This town is about 6 hours north of Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2014, 02:19:45 AM »
Here is another lookout view at Nambucca Heads. Just a beautiful place. The colourful river meanders before emptying in the Pacific Ocean.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2014, 02:25:06 AM »
It was an older guy....maybe showing off to his girlfriend?

When you shoot candids like this of strangers are you using a long telephoto, and do you use your 60D to get that extra distance?

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »
I haven't seen too much wildlife in the bush here in Australia. But flowers! I am called the Flower Guy by some members of my photography club. Here is the State Flower of NSW...the Waratah.

Nice was this done with a tripod?  180mm macro?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:28 AM »
My hair is frizzing up when I curl it   >:( it's good for the skin though. But you are right about May being when it starts to be very liveable again. I have air con in my bedroom so that nights are comfortable . Currently I am doing no outdoor cardio.... It's all indoors at the gym. I moved back here to be close to family when my partner died.

Just checked distances. It is about 1800 Km from Sydney to Mackay. It is about 500 miles north of Brisbane. That means you are rather isolated up there and would choose to fly to destinations instead of driving. People from America seldom realize how big Australia is. What is it like living in a northern Queensland town? What are the people like?

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »
One of my projects is to capture the Surfers Paradise skyline in sharp detail. Not easy most of the year because it is too hot and atmospheric distortion spoils the photos. I have found a few good lookouts and have spotted an even better one that is closer but I will have to negotiate to get there. Ah, the things photographers will do to get that special shot.

Holy smokes this is amazing can you post a high res photo on a website and post the link here?  Really amazing.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2014, 02:37:35 AM »
When you shoot candids like this of strangers are you using a long telephoto, and do you use your 60D to get that extra distance?

At pro surfing contests there are dozens of guys with huge telephoto lenses. Some are paid professionals. I get bored shooting the surfing because not much happens in each round. Capturing them on the shore and doing interviews is part of the fun. I also like to capture the crowds and interesting people. If you are shooting the surfing you need a tripod and something like a Gimbal head. I use the 60D plus a 1.4 tele-extender for more reach. The surfers are quite a way out at Snapper Rocks. So that gives me the equivalent of about 1100mm reach.

I also have another camera around my next with a 70-300 lens on the 5DII. I use that for closer shots.

The photo here was just a casual crowd shot. I didn't see the blond but did later when reviewing photos. There is a photo of her earlier in this thread.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:35 AM »
Holy smokes this is amazing can you post a high res photo on a website and post the link here?  Really amazing.

I am glad you like the panorama of the skyline. I haven't had one that impresses me enough. I will see what I can find. If you send me a message I will send you one via email.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2014, 02:43:01 AM »
I am glad you like the panorama of the skyline. I haven't had one that impresses me enough. I will see what I can find. If you send me a message I will send you one via email.

You don't put your best or favorite pics on photo sharing sites?

If you have such a great hobby, why waste your time on someplace like here where idiots make fun of you all day, you can post on photo sites and forums and have people praise you for your work.  I don't have a great artistic eye, but recognize good technique.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2014, 02:46:34 AM »
Nice was this done with a tripod?  180mm macro?

The Waratah was enterred in a flower contest at Mount Tomah in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. I used a tripod and a Sigma DP3M with a Foveon sensor. Gave brilliant results. It has a 50mm lens that does macros. That is equivalent to 75mm on a full frame camera.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2014, 02:49:21 AM »
The Waratah was enterred in a flower contest at Mount Tomah in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. I used a tripod and a Sigma DP3M with a Foveon sensor. Gave brilliant results. It has a 50mm lens that does macros. That is equivalent to 75mm on a full frame camera.

How do you like the Sigma body and sensor compared to the Canons?  I read about the Sigma body once, I only own one sigma lens, actually it's the 50mm macro f/2.5 w/ canon mount now that I think of it!

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2014, 02:49:53 AM »
Vince, you have some great panoramas, how do you do those?  Do you find the nodal point and all that crap?  Use one of those computerized/motorized panorama heads like Gigapan?  Whats you're best tripod/head setup how much did it put you back?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2014, 02:55:22 AM »
How do you like the Sigma body and sensor compared to the Canons?  I read about the Sigma body once, I only own one sigma lens, actually it's the 50mm macro f/2.5 w/ canon mount now that I think of it!

The Sigma delivers really detailed photos. Trouble is I use only ISO 100 so the camera is limited and one needs a tripod to get the best results. Can't been the DP3M for closeups of flowers. Colours and detail and beautiful.

I have the Sigma 50mm macro and use it with my NEX7. Sharp and easy to use combination.

Btw, I am not posting any more in the photo thread about me. About panoramas. I simply overlap photos and shoot. I can do this at the beach but make sure I start out and shoot in the direction the surf is moving. Have to be quick.

If I use a tripod the trick is to get it level then overlap. Skies are the problem with panoramas unless you use the same white balance. I always shoot panoramas. Have used 500 mm plus extenders sometimes.

Best all round camera would be the Canon 5DIII. With the new 24-70. You can compose using live view and get sharp photos.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »
Vince, you have some great panoramas, how do you do those?  Do you find the nodal point and all that crap?  Use one of those computerized/motorized panorama heads like Gigapan?  Whats you're best tripod/head setup how much did it put you back?

People end up buying a few tripods because they discover they need bigger and stronger ones. I have Benro tripods and heads. Both ball and gimbal heads. Carbon fibre only. I like the big ones that have two extensions instead of three. My most used Benro is a lighter one that has a center column that can be removed and placed sideways, etc. I have 4 carbon fiber Benro tripods and three ball heads.

Never bothered with nodal points or special panorama equipment. You need to worry about that if you have detail in the foreground. I seldom worry about the foreground when I do landscapes. I have Autopano Giga software. Best around and you can edit photos and change plenty of things to improve the output.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:29 AM »
The Sigma delivers really detailed photos. Trouble is I use only ISO 100 so the camera is limited and one needs a tripod to get the best results. Can't been the DP3M for closeups of flowers. Colours and detail and beautiful.

I have the Sigma 50mm macro and use it with my NEX7. Sharp and easy to use combination.

Btw, I am not posting any more in the photo thread about me. About panoramas. I simply overlap photos and shoot. I can do this at the beach but make sure I start out and shoot in the direction the surf is moving. Have to be quick.

If I use a tripod the trick is to get it level then overlap. Skies are the problem with panoramas unless you use the same white balance. I always shoot panoramas. Have used 500 mm plus extenders sometimes.

Best all round camera would be the Canon 5DIII. With the new 24-70. You can compose using live view and get sharp photos.

Yeah I saw that you weren't posting in that thread, fuck that thread.

I am a super amateur, I have a 60D but do have the 24-70 f/2.8 II (new version), but no full frame camera.  I was just reading up on the Foveon sensor, pretty good stuff.

So you do the panoramas all hand held?  I have never done them, just curious.  You've got a great natural habitat to photograph, actually I do too, I just haven't shot that much.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2014, 03:01:40 AM »
Nevermind I just saw you answered me about the panos.