Author Topic: Australian Beach photos.  (Read 17862 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Australian Beach photos.
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:32 AM »
Yeah I saw that you weren't posting in that thread, fuck that thread.

I am a super amateur, I have a 60D but do have the 24-70 f/2.8 II (new version), but no full frame camera.  I was just reading up on the Foveon sensor, pretty good stuff.

So you do the panoramas all hand held?  I have never done them, just curious.  You've got a great natural habitat to photograph, actually I do too, I just haven't shot that much.

Save up for the 5DIII. Heck, use a credit card and just get one. Big advantage is the wide angle. I have all the Canon wide zooms. It is as close to a professional camera as you can get. Accurate focus and you do everything on the LCD. It even has a HDR mode.

I am also considering the Sony A7r. 36 Mp. It has focus peaking which I enjoy for focusing via the viewfinder. Comes with a Metabones adapter so I can use my Canon glass.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2014, 03:08:08 AM »
Just checked distances. It is about 1800 Km from Sydney to Mackay. It is about 500 miles north of Brisbane. That means you are rather isolated up there and would choose to fly to destinations instead of driving. People from America seldom realize how big Australia is. What is it like living in a northern Queensland town? What are the people like?
There is a mix of people here. Many have migrated from other countries.... South Africans , Irish, British,welsh, yanks. Flying is cheaper than driving.... If you can get a good deal, which most of the time you can.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:31 AM »
Coolangatta has several beaches near by. You can see the amazing surf rolling in past Snapper Rocks at the top.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:22 AM »
Here is Coolangatta Beach during the pro surf contest. The beach is packed with spectators and photographers. Great place to be in early March.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2014, 03:15:06 AM »
Save up for the 5DIII. Heck, use a credit card and just get one. Big advantage is the wide angle. I have all the Canon wide zooms. It is as close to a professional camera as you can get. Accurate focus and you do everything on the LCD. It even has a HDR mode.

I am also considering the Sony A7r. 36 Mp. It has focus peaking which I enjoy for focusing via the viewfinder. Comes with a Metabones adapter so I can use my Canon glass.

You know 5d mkiii was JUST on sale before Xmas, it retails for $3500 in the US, it was going for $2600 USD on many sites in December.  Then it went up to $2800 USD.  Now it's back to full retail.  Oh well.

I really don't need new gear, I have a great tripod and ballhead (Really Right Stuff carbon fiber with an Arca swiss head), I've got the top basic lenses - the 24-70mm f/2.8 II and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, plus the EF-S 10-22mm, a 50mm macro, a 100mm macro.  I don't need more gear, I need more time taking shots.

I just got the Fuji X100s, it's so convenient, small and light, people look great color wise, I find I do almost no post processing as the color is just amazing from the get go.  No lenses to fuddle with, just go and shoot.  I'm not the photographer that you are, in the end I just got into it to take family photos.

But I do want to take scenic photos, I bought an expensive 1000x neutral density filter to take time lapse in bright light, haven't used it ONCE!!!  That was the whole point of getting the tripod!  Haven't use the tripod hardly at all.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29:40 AM »
Here is a map showing Bryon Bay, Brisbane and up to Mackay. A nice part of the world. When you consider that Brisbane is more or less on the same latitude as Miami you can appreciate the Mackay is in the tropics. The tropic of Capricorn runs through Rockhampton and Mackay is much further north. I made a panorama from 3 screen captures on Google Maps.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2014, 03:31:22 AM »
You know 5d mkiii was JUST on sale before Xmas, it retails for $3500 in the US, it was going for $2600 USD on many sites in December.  Then it went up to $2800 USD.  Now it's back to full retail.  Oh well.

I really don't need new gear, I have a great tripod and ballhead (Really Right Stuff carbon fiber with an Arca swiss head), I've got the top basic lenses - the 24-70mm f/2.8 II and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, plus the EF-S 10-22mm, a 50mm macro, a 100mm macro.  I don't need more gear, I need more time taking shots.

I just got the Fuji X100s, it's so convenient, small and light, people look great color wise, I find I do almost no post processing as the color is just amazing from the get go.  No lenses to fuddle with, just go and shoot.  I'm not the photographer that you are, in the end I just got into it to take family photos.

But I do want to take scenic photos, I bought an expensive 1000x neutral density filter to take time lapse in bright light, haven't used it ONCE!!!  That was the whole point of getting the tripod!  Haven't use the tripod hardly at all.

Trust me on cameras. You have great gear and the top lenses. But your camera lets you down. The 5DIII is the way to go. Once you get one you will thank me.

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »
Trust me on cameras. You have great gear and the top lenses. But your camera lets you down. The 5DIII is the way to go. Once you get one you will thank me.

OK, really can't twist my arm into getting more gear!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2014, 04:08:22 AM »
OK, really can't twist my arm into getting more gear!

LOL. I have said goodbye to the fellows at a camera store in Sydney several times. Each time I was sure I didn't need any more lenses or cameras. Three to six months later I would be back to get the latest and greatest.

I mean, sell the 60D and use that towards the 5DIII. Even the 5DII would be better. I have a 60D and don't use it any more. The NEX7 with an adapter gives me sharp 24 MP photos with my long lenses.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2014, 04:17:01 AM »
I shoot whatever interests me. Here was an opportunity. A pro was shooting one of the women surfing pros and I snapped the photo. Girl bending over in the background is a bonus.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:16 AM »
Another view of Palm Beach in northern Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2014, 04:37:18 AM »
Sydney has lots of headlands along the coast so these make great lookouts for taking photos. Here is Mona Vale Beach and Warriewood Beach at the distant end. In the northern suburbs of Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2014, 04:44:26 AM »
This is Bungan Beach. It has no parking nearby and it is not visible from the main road so not many even know about this beach. Just another beach in beautiful northern Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »
They had a severe bush fire on Barrenjoey Head at Palm Beach in Sydney. Burned all the vegetation at the top but already much of it is starting to regenerate.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:22 AM »
There is a lighthouse on Barrenjoey Head and here it is framed by a burned tree. In a year this tree will have leaves again.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2014, 05:00:57 AM »
There is a mix of people here. Many have migrated from other countries.... South Africans , Irish, British,welsh, yanks. Flying is cheaper than driving.... If you can get a good deal, which most of the time you can.
Qantas sucks.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2014, 05:18:27 AM »
Qantas sucks.

Where did that come from? Maybe you should fly Virgin if you are going up north?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
Here is another photo of the burned out trees and bush. Before the fire you would have had trouble walking through the thick bush. Now it is an open forest of black limbs.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:35 AM »
I was able to get to the cliff edge for the first time and got a great shot down the beach.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2014, 05:31:29 AM »
Hardys Bay is on the Central Coast an hour and a half north of Sydney.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2014, 05:36:39 AM »
[color=guy sitting under the privates of this hero.[/color]

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »
Warriewood Beach on Sydney's northern beaches.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:29 AM »
Here is another photo of the burned out trees and bush. Before the fire you would have had trouble walking through the thick bush. Now it is an open forest of black limbs.

Thank you for all these wonderful photos! Great work!

NN

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2014, 07:30:07 AM »

ROFL.

Been using Leica for years THE BEEF has several. THE BEEF is thinking  about the S2

THE BEEF