Author Topic: Best Leg Workouts For a Natural?  (Read 3127 times)

TheShape

• Getbig III
Best Leg Workouts For a Natural?
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
My body seems to adapt too damn quickly to my leg workouts, I try throwing in more reps or less reps and different exercises but my legs really just refuse to grow. My upper-body seems to just overshadow my lower half, anyone have any good leg workouts that worked well for them?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Best Leg Workouts For a Natural?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
Squats
SLDL
Pyramid up and back down.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »
train them twice a week,,,,,,,,,,

monday...emphasize calves ( standing calf, seated ), hamstrings ( curl, st deads, feet high leg press) quads ( extension, leg press )   go for reps on the quads, go for feel and pumps

thurs....   quads ( ext, squat, legpress) hams ( curl) calves ( choose a fave ).... give the quads a good spanking, always go for feel tho, slow and squeezy wins the race

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
So should I just seek to pump them up than rather going for strength at this point? I usually do heavy dead lifts for 5X5 on my leg days, should I still include that?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:09:37 AM »
good advice from others, I will add this to their message. BE PATIENT. It will take many many months to grow legs not a few wks. get a program and stick with it for six months, minimum.
sept 10th APF

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
Might want to switch the heavy DL's  (on leg day) to BB Hack Squats.

Think of BB Hack's as reverse DL's but with much more focus on the quads and less tension on the lower back. Start with the butt touching the bar, assuring that your going low enough for each rep. And keep the back straight during the movement. If wanting more focus on the quads than place the heels on a 2X4, pair of 45's, any Joe Weider book, etc. Or if you have Olympic lifting shoes/boots, they have raised heels built in.

If choosing BB Hack squats and wanting to kick start growth for the  quads than might consider either 8X8's (Gironda style) or 10X10's  (GVT).  Seems to work for most guy's I've met. Even Olympic lifters have been known to use 10X10's during off season training.  This also works exceeding well with regular or front squats.

As far as Ham's  (leg biceps) go, might suggest standing one legged leg curls. Can also include stretches (SLDL, Goodmornings, etc) which can work well. But the actually contraction/flex of the ham strings should be included in any Ham workout.  Good Luck
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »
I have started doing single leg work several years ago , stuff like lunges, single leg squats, step ups, etc.. This has really helped in strength and leg development. Obviously I still do squats, deadlifts, and other traditional leg exercises, but I feel that adding in single leg work has really helped.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:45:20 AM »
I have started doing single leg work several years ago , stuff like lunges, single leg squats, step ups, etc.. This has really helped in strength and leg development. Obviously I still do squats, deadlifts, and other traditional leg exercises, but I feel that adding in single leg work has really helped.
yeah...single leg squats are excellent and great for Home Trainers too. Standing on a bench and squating with a DB in your Hand or weight belt.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
Single leg exercises have a great advantage because the can benefit equal development in muscle size and strength. We all, conscious of it of not, will favor one leg/arm over the other in regular exercises. Squats, benches, curls,presses, etc.. Athletes train legs and other body parts that way. This also seems to help their balance,quickness and timing.This is where DB's and some selective machines have the advantage over two leg/arm movements.

One legged squats and step-ups are different in performance. Both can be exceptional movements. Step-ups will influence the hams a bit more and  more akin to lunges. Even simple floor one legged squats (other leg held straight out) increase the overall strength and size of the legs. A great exercise once mastered. Gymnast use these as part of a training routine.

Some who do one leg at a time, while alternating each leg, with no  rest between sets, until all the required sets are done. Keeping a fast pace throughout. Good focus on endurance and strength, giving stamina to the legs.   Good Luck

F

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
I've been using hack squats in my routine now and adding in a second leg day so I'm starting to see small results. I think I will replace the back squat altogether with the hack lifts and front squats because I just get such a good pump now, which was normally non existent.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »
when i was young i used to do a giant set of exercises. led off with the old 20 rep  squat followed by leg ext than leg curls and finally  a set of calf raises all without pausing only going over to the w'/o station.. go all out and do more circuits if this doesn't tax you.  you can sub in jumping squats with 2 dbs or  one leg squats or even hack squats or leg presses as you go.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
when i was young i used to do a giant set of exercises. led off with the old 20 rep  squat followed by leg ext than leg curls and finally  a set of calf raises all without pausing only going over to the w'/o station.. go all out and do more circuits if this doesn't tax you.  you can sub in jumping squats with 2 dbs or  one leg squats or even hack squats or leg presses as you go.
do this on a friday night before the weekend as the first time you do it , it can make normal walking difficult.[if you work hard enough]
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
train them twice a week,,,,,,,,,,

monday...emphasize calves ( standing calf, seated ), hamstrings ( curl, st deads, feet high leg press) quads ( extension, leg press )   go for reps on the quads, go for feel and pumps

thurs....   quads ( ext, squat, legpress) hams ( curl) calves ( choose a fave ).... give the quads a good spanking, always go for feel tho, slow and squeezy wins the race

Good advice. Before I had knee surgery and subsequent physical therapy to assist with the recovery, my leg routine was very similar to what you've suggested, except I did it on Tuesday and Saturday. I also worked calves on both days, emphasizing hams on Tuesdays and quads on Saturdays. I just started back working out so I am easing back into it these first few weeks. Soon I will be back doing what I was before the surgery.