Author Topic: Need newbie questions answered.  (Read 1367 times)

trig

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Need newbie questions answered.
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
Ok, so I woke up a few months ago and I was fat, then I remembered the 7 years of beer, fast food and fishing since I got out of the Corps and realized where it came from. Starting in November I embarked on a quest to lose the gut and get in shape. During this time I realized I really enjoyed working out and would like to increase my size and strength to whatever proportions possible, so I have worked out a program that I am happy with and feel I am making good gains on. I have my diet down and am making sure everything is going well there. I am actually pretty happy with the progress so far, but I have a couple of questions about the equipment I am seeing at the gym and have found out through some not so friendly encounters, that most people at the 24 hour fitness I go to are dicks. Enough crap.

First, is there a big difference in Squats and using the Hack squat sled?
What's the difference in the seated leg press and the sled leg press?
I have only come across one lift I can't do because of a previous shoulder injury (Side Laterals) lots of popping and grinding and just general bad shit happens. What's a good alternative?

I understand the mechanical differences, but I wanted to be able to change up my routine a little (the same lifts every week gets old) and am not sure if these machines/lifts are good alternatives for each other or should be performed together to target different muscles or groups.

txhulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Need newbie questions answered.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:29:19 PM »
stick with squats over hack squats.If a exercise is actually hurting you try a different variation of it.also stick with free weights over machines,but still incorperate them into your program.most people at the 24 hour clubs are idiots right now i'm training at one and they do nothing but f*ck around,walk around like there big,and go to the water founten every 45 sec. Best of luck.
 :)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Need newbie questions answered.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 12:46:52 PM »
I train at one also and it's a fricken joke.  I would agree with TXHULK and stick with squats..  Stick to the free range of motion excercises which will help incorporate secondary muscles better than equipment thats on sleds and machines.