Author Topic: Man Charged 89,000 for Snakebite when the antivenom is 750 dollars. USA Sucks  (Read 13641 times)

alabama ftw

First off, Universal Healthcare/Single Payer does NOT work....if offered in the US, millions would abuse the system to the point where you would die before ever seeing a doctor.  If directly compared to the UK, if such a policy were implemented right now in the US, you'd have a line of 7 MILLION ahead of you awaiting care.  Can you imagine all the fat fucks and the tens of millions of depressed people signing up so they can get free drug prescriptions?
Our pointless empire seem to work just fine and that is a MUCH bigger task then common sense healthcare legislation.

Funny how so many attempt to paint a rosy picture of the EU's and Canada's healthcare system.  It is trash.  If you disagree, you are misinformed, a liar, or have good financial means.  Isn't it just grand that you can be taken to a bed where the guy next to you is coughing up chunks of his liver and dying?
That is some made up horseshit. Proffessor Wiggums approves!

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
I just want to know if the snake was OK

Ropo

• Getbig IV
First off, Universal Healthcare/Single Payer does NOT work....if offered in the US, millions would abuse the system to the point where you would die before ever seeing a doctor.  If directly compared to the UK, if such a policy were implemented right now in the US, you'd have a line of 7 MILLION ahead of you awaiting care.  Can you imagine all the fat fucks and the tens of millions of depressed people signing up so they can get free drug prescriptions?

Funny how so many attempt to paint a rosy picture of the EU's and Canada's healthcare system.  It is trash.  If you disagree, you are misinformed, a liar, or have good financial means.  Isn't it just grand that you can be taken to a bed where the guy next to you is coughing up chunks of his liver and dying?

So you are ready to pay 89 000$ per night for single bed hospital room? Why, while real price is les than 1% of that..

falco

• Getbig V
Its all managed differently. We're not Europe..I'm not paying for the somebody who can't produce. The tax rates in various European countries are different. Funding is different and it certainly isn't a massive block of 500 million all in the same system.

If america spent less money in wars around the oil world it would be enough money to healthcare.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
I am dumbfounded as to why people cannot see this for how ridiculous it is .. 89K for a 4 hour hospital stay. THIS is the reason this planet is going to shits. Everything is like this and the people still try to justify it based on the lies the gov serves them. They should march to the capitol, drag them out and lynch them.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior

I really hope you're trolling.

Obviously - but the fact is the 'free market' isn't the panacea it's made out to be. This being a case in point.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
If america spent less money in wars around the oil world it would be enough money to healthcare.

The US govt already pays more per capita in the US on healthcare than almost all countries with fully socialized medicine.

It's OK, though - because if it changed in any way, everyone would be bowing down to Chairman Mao every morning.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Obviously - but the fact is the 'free market' isn't the panacea it's made out to be. This being a case in point.

A true free market has never existed, anyone who's ever taken an economics class would know this.   Yet people push and push for deregulation, thinking it will lead to better outcomes

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Obamacare doesn't prevent insurance companies from screwing over the public for profit.

Yes TA, the government does a fantastic job of taking care of its business  ::) ::) ::). Trillions of dollars in debt. Social security, a system that will bankrupt itself within the next few decades. Medicare and medicaid, losing money everyday. So yes, put your pathetic health in the hands of bureaucrats with no medical training who will decide what type of healthcare you deserve and what you do not.  ??? ??? ???. Meanwhile, one of the reasons healthcare is so expensive is that lawyers ... who vote overwhelmingly Democrat .... will sue at the sniff of blood. Obama has repeatedly railed against Tort reform. However, as a physician and I assume correctly that you are not, let me be frank that there is great waste in medicine ordering needless tests just to covery your ass. What is totally asinine is that I as a physician can be sued by a non-paying illegal immigrant for malpractice...WTF. Yeah TA, the dems got it right  ::) ::) ::)

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

That moron is your savior. LOL you are a bigger tool than you already appear.

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
You are misinformed.
http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-faq
Won’t this result in rationing like in Canada?

The U.S. already rations care. Rationing in U.S. health care is based on income: if you can afford care, you get it; if you can’t, you don’t. A recent study found that 45,000 Americans die every year because they don’t have health insurance. Many more skip treatments that their insurance company refuses to cover. That’s rationing. Other countries do not ration in this way.

If there is this much rationing, why don’t we hear about it? And if other countries ration less, why do we hear about them? The answer is that their systems are publicly accountable, and ours is not. Problems with their health care systems are aired in public; ours are not. For example, in Canada, when waits for care emerged in the 1990s, Parliament hotly debated the causes and solutions. Most provinces have also established formal reporting systems on waiting lists, with wait times for each hospital posted on the Internet. This public attention has led to recent falls in waits there.

In U.S. health care, no one is ultimately accountable for how the system works. No one takes full responsibility. Rationing in our system is carried out covertly through financial pressure, forcing millions of individuals to forgo care or to be shunted away by caregivers from services they can’t pay for. The rationing that takes place in U.S. health care is unnecessary. A number of studies (notably a General Accounting Office report in 1991 and a Congressional Budget Office report in 1993) show that there is more than enough money in our health care system to serve everyone if it were spent wisely. Administrative costs are at 31% of U.S. health spending, far higher than in other countries’ systems. These inflated costs are due to our failure to have a publicly financed, universal health care system. We spend about twice as much per person as Canada or most European nations, and still deny health care to many in need. A national health program could save enough on administration to assure access to care for all Americans, without rationing.

See also: http://www.pnhp.org/news/2012/july/single-payer-does-not-equal-increased-wait-times

Quoting the pnhp.org to advocate for single payer healthcare reform is the same as utilizing MSNBC to advocate for the end of term of limits for Obamagod. Please T.A. you are stretching. Any group can skew the data to defend their stance. However, you are utilizing a website that actively pursues a single payer system. What difference if someone uses Breitbart.com or Rushlinbaugh.com...pleas e use CBO.gov or an independent website to justify your stance.

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Here is an article from Bloomberg; very interesting for the ACA advocated on this site:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-30/if-2013-was-hard-on-obamacare-just-wait-for-2014.html

RRKore

• Getbig IV
First off, Universal Healthcare/Single Payer does NOT work....if offered in the US, millions would abuse the system to the point where you would die before ever seeing a doctor.  If directly compared to the UK, if such a policy were implemented right now in the US, you'd have a line of 7 MILLION ahead of you awaiting care.  Can you imagine all the fat fucks and the tens of millions of depressed people signing up so they can get free drug prescriptions?

Funny how so many attempt to paint a rosy picture of the EU's and Canada's healthcare system.  It is trash.  If you disagree, you are misinformed, a liar, or have good financial means.  Isn't it just grand that you can be taken to a bed where the guy next to you is coughing up chunks of his liver and dying?

Doesn't work how?  It'd be nice if you could be specific and support your statements with links.  Also, to read your post one would think that Canada and the EU (And the EU, really? The EU has some sort of unified system?  And I thought each individual country had their own system...) are the only places where single payer is the norm.  That is not true. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
I never understand these stories.

I got shoulder surgery from a MLB doctor in a great facility and my total cash outlay was about $600.

These stories boggle the mind.
Y

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Yes TA, the government does a fantastic job of taking care of its business  ::) ::) ::). Trillions of dollars in debt. Social security, a system that will bankrupt itself within the next few decades. Medicare and medicaid, losing money everyday. So yes, put your pathetic health in the hands of bureaucrats with no medical training who will decide what type of healthcare you deserve and what you do not.  ??? ??? ???. Meanwhile, one of the reasons healthcare is so expensive is that lawyers ... who vote overwhelmingly Democrat .... will sue at the sniff of blood. Obama has repeatedly railed against Tort reform. However, as a physician and I assume correctly that you are not, let me be frank that there is great waste in medicine ordering needless tests just to covery your ass. What is totally asinine is that I as a physician can be sued by a non-paying illegal immigrant for malpractice...WTF. Yeah TA, the dems got it right  ::) ::) ::)

Yeah, unnecessary testing as CYA because of the danger of malpractice suits IS a factor for why healthcare is so expensive in the USA relative to other industrialized countries...but it's a small factor.  It's no mystery why this would be a big issue with doctors but it doesn't have a lot to do with how expensive healthcare is.

By far the biggest factor for why healthcare is so expensive in the USA relative to nearly all other industrialized countries is that we don't have single payer which would allow us to negotiate prices much more aggressively with healthcare providers, drug makers, and medical device manufacturers.

The goofy-looking non-GB'er in the video below explains this better than I can:

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Yeah, unnecessary testing as CYA because of the danger of malpractice suits IS a factor for why healthcare is so expensive in the USA relative to other industrialized countries...but it's a small factor.  It's no mystery why this would be a big issue with doctors but it doesn't have a lot to do with how expensive healthcare is.

By far the biggest factor for why healthcare is so expensive in the USA relative to nearly all other industrialized countries is that we don't have single payer which would allow us to negotiate prices much more aggressively with healthcare providers, drug makers, and medical device manufacturers.

The goofy-looking non-GB'er in the video below explains this better than I can:

Ok I bite, who should the single payer be....BCBS, United Healthcare, Aetna, or aghast the government. Lets see, do away with private insurance companies and everything is run by the government. Brilliant, you immediately put millions of Americans out of work who work for the private insurance companies. Second, when has the US government ever run a business responsibly without going into debt. Who is going to pay for it. Fifty percent of Americans have no skin in the game; they do not pay taxes and in fact get refunds. Ok, tax the rich...great. What happens when they run out of money. Now who is going to pay for Universal Healthcare.

Universal healthcare will only work if every individual in this country has skin in the game. Moreover, self responsibility needs to come into play. How are we going to pay for ove 300 million Americans when the 24 milion working Americans don't have a job....don't believe the BS jobless reports given monthly as they do not count those who have quit looking for a job. The real unemployment number is 15%. Thus, how the hell do you propose you will pay for this. Medicaid, which is state and federally subsidized is barely accepted at many physicians offices as the reimbursement fee is too low; doctors lose money caring for Medicaid patients. There are more people joining Medicaid on the ACA than those signing up for private insurance; the plan as it is unsustainable.

If you are stuck with a single payer system, they can dictate therapy as they see fit. You could be a 65 yo male with no prior history and have an infection that leads to renal failure and because of your age you may not receive a kidney transplant. You may not receive that life saving chemotherapy because it is too expensive. If you have no recourse except one insurer you are the mercy of that plan and that plan alone. I and a lot of medical professionals see a trainwreck coming.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
no problemo, thats only 10 thousand hours of work at minimum wage, or uhm, 20 years trying to put away some spare money

so a snakebite treatment of 1 day costs more than a house in florida ;D

Or an entire city block in Detroit.

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
I need to get the hell out of this country

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I need to get the hell out of this country

Until people start taking responsibility for themselves and lead better lives (no smoking, drug use, severe alcoholism, etc) the US healthcare system will remain a trainwreck. The actions of the few cannot take care of all. Knowing how corrupt and irresponsible our government is, I am amazed that people still want universal health care with the government being the provider.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Until people start taking responsibility for themselves and lead better lives (no smoking, drug use, severe alcoholism, etc) the US healthcare system will remain a trainwreck. The actions of the few cannot take care of all. Knowing how corrupt and irresponsible our government is, I am amazed that people still want universal health care with the government being the provider.

My friend, I'm ALL for personal responsibility. You cannot find a person that despise the entitled generation more than I do, but 89k for a fucking hospital stay. That's just fucking ridiculous. You have hospitals and doctors charging whatever the fuck they want as they know they're needed. It makes me glad living in UK and going to NZ shortly where Healthcare costs are more sane.

You lot are getting fucked over in the US. And not in the fun way.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
My friend, I'm ALL for personal responsibility. You cannot find a person that despise the entitled generation more than I do, but 89k for a fucking hospital stay. That's just fucking ridiculous. You have hospitals and doctors charging whatever the fuck they want as they know they're needed. It makes me glad living in UK and going to NZ shortly where Healthcare costs are more sane.

yeah, except your cost of living in the UK is twice our average and you pay way for gas and sales tax than we do to cover 'free' healthcare.

LOL free market ... if ER's could refuse to treat patients, if Kennedy (the man retards actually expected to fix the mess he helped create) hadn't tied health insurance to work, if we didn't have a tax code designed to push social agendas and supplement the income of the super wealthy, in other words if we actually HAD a free market your insurance company wouldn't be getting massive bills.

Which they don't pay

Emmortal

• Getbig V

That's what you get with private health care.  Privatized health care subsidized by the government is the problem.

When I had a heart attack my hospital bill was over $200k, was taken by ambulance to the ER and admitted into surgery immediately, had a second surgery 2 days later, stayed in ICU for 6 days, one day in a normal room and discharged after 7 days.

$89,000 for a snakebite and one day in the hospital seems like total bullshit.  

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

BS you are wrong. The doctors get a set fee based on ICD guidelines. Trust me, the physician fee was at most 1-2 K. I agree that the hospitals rape people. However, it would not be that bad if there were so many useless individuals who abuse the system and don't pay a dime. As the hospital administrator said, they make up the profits on the backs of working stiffs. As for universal healthcare, it may seem like you are getting a bargain but how much do you pay in taxes. In the US, the highest tax bracket is 39.6; in the UK it is 50% (for those making over 150K....much lower than the 400K for a single filer in the US paying the 39.6%). Moreover, while our sales taxes go from 6-10 percent, UK has a 17% VAT tax. Trust me, you guys in Europe and New Zealand are paying for your healthcare...it is indirect but you are paying for it.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
BS you are wrong. The doctors get a set fee based on ICD guidelines. Trust me, the physician fee was at most 1-2 K. I agree that the hospitals rape people. However, it would not be that bad if there were so many useless individuals who abuse the system and don't pay a dime. As the hospital administrator said, they make up the profits on the backs of working stiffs. As for universal healthcare, it may seem like you are getting a bargain but how much do you pay in taxes. In the US, the highest tax bracket is 39.6; in the UK it is 50% (for those making over 150K....much lower than the 400K for a single filer in the US paying the 39.6%). Moreover, while our sales taxes go from 6-10 percent, UK has a 17% VAT tax. Trust me, you guys in Europe and New Zealand are paying for your healthcare...it is indirect but you are paying for it.

I pay 26% income tax on a salary of over 70k GBP a year (I'll pay less if I were married, had kids, etc). Work out yourself what that is in USD. Our VAT is now 20% unfortunately, the upper tax bracket is 45% of those earning 150k a year.

How does the amount of tax I pay compare to what someone in the US pay earning a similar wage?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I think only 1 in 10 Americans don't have health insurance. Of those, some are paying their bills out of pocket and some just choose not to carry insurance, and others qualify for medicaid or medicare.   The system needs reformed, but to 95% of people there's really no problem.

It's so funny to see the completely unrealistic picture that's been painted in the minds of some by the mainstream media.