Author Topic: CM Punk walks out of WWE - not a work  (Read 10562 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
CM Punk walks out of WWE - not a work
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:15 AM »
take your pick of sources: LOP, Wrestling Observer, PWI Insider.....

Word has come out that CM Punk has left WWE, according to sources for the Wrestling Observer and PWInsider.

After being re-written out of the script for Raw, Punk reportedly told Vince McMahon he was going home and that he wasn't coming back. The company responded by pulling him from all of his scheduled WWE dates going forward.

Punk was scheduled to face Triple H at WrestleMania 30, but as we saw on Raw, early signs may have been shown that Triple H will be facing Daniel Bryan at Mania instead. No word if the match change is what caused Punk to leave, or if the match was changed because Punk left. ProWrestling.net reports that Bryan VS HHH is, indeed, the current plan for Mania.

In the past, Punk had been very vocal about "part-time" wrestlers returning to WWE and getting pushed ahead of guys who are there on a nightly basis, and that may be a reason for him being upset. PWInsider says that Punk's final goal for his time with WWE was to main event WrestleMania, and with his current contract expiring in July, and with it becoming more and more apparent that he would not be main eventing Mania this year, his failure to achieve that goal may be a driving force for his departure.

All signs indicate that this is not a work, but we'll pass on any more information as it comes in.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: CM Punk walks out of WWE - not a work
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
I really like Punk but if things are not going his way he throws a fit. This just proves that. He had the longest title run in the moder era. What more does he want? But I do not agree with guys that have been gone leaving and then coming back to be out in top spots. That bring said,  He'll be back. Austin did the same thing because he did want to job for Lesner. He came back.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »
i watched a video last night about him stating he doesnt agree with names coming back for PT appearances and getting Mania spots etc, also discussing doing MMA. I can see where he is coming from in that he was #1 and WWE have basically pushed him out of the picture altogether, are Fandango, The Usos, Sin Cara (who is away to be replaced yet again) etc going to put more arses in seats than CM Punk?! Hell no.

Im hoping this turns out to be part of an angle that is brilliantly executed but its not looking that way just now.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:02:49 AM »
Sad that the workers have very little leverage with vince because of nowhere to go.  Man I hate VKM. 

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:04:03 AM »
Sad that the workers have very little leverage with vince because of nowhere to go.  Man I hate VKM. 

Very true.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Punk will land in AJPW for sure and still collect a huge paycheck. Vince is stupid if he lets Punk go.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
His contract is up in a few months, he has been written out of everything apparently. Incidentally WWE's stock just dropped 2%, cant help but think the loss of one of their star attractions has somewhat contributed.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »

It works both ways. If there were several smaller regional promotions, the wrestlers would have more options, but no chance of the big, life changing score available because of the size of the WWE.

We tend to romanticize the territory days, but did anyone get rich back then, or did they grind out a living until their bodies gave out?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »
It works both ways. If there were several smaller regional promotions, the wrestlers would have more options, but no chance of the big, life changing score available because of the size of the WWE.

We tend to romanticize the territory days, but did anyone get rich back then, or did they grind out a living until their bodies gave out?

There were far more guys able to make a living in rhose days.  Now it just a very small few making much more.  Not to mention the territories would have evolved.  I think the territories being driven by live events and wrestlers getting a cut of the gate elevated the product and allowed for more guys to have legit runs.  Not manufactured storylines driven by what a team of writers thinks will work.  I will take the "organic" nature of the old product. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »

Both. I believe Rick McGraw was earning about $5k/week in some Mexican promotion before he came up north to work in WWF. He's just one example, but I chose him because he was a bigger earner with a lesser name in a territory.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Both. I believe Rick McGraw was earning about $5k/week in some Mexican promotion before he came up north to work in WWF. He's just one example, but I chose him because he was a bigger earner with a lesser name in a territory.

Baba was paying guys like Stan Hansen and Rick Martel 10,000 per week.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
Baba was paying guys like Stan Hansen and Rick Martel 10,000 per week.

Yeah, New Japan and All Japan were notoriously good paying promotions. A lot of those guys also received a signing bonus, too! I have no idea what it's like over there now.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:26 AM »
On the subject of Japan, KENTA has apparently been offered a contract with WWE. I dont expect him to make much of an impact unfortunately.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 05:43:38 AM »

karl kox is the real tie in to what really happened/happens his old stories are just awesome and he lived it through his family...

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »

karl kox is the real tie in to what really happened/happens his old stories are just awesome and he lived it through his family...

The territories were better for many reasons.

If a wrestler got stale he could move on and reinvent himself some place else. My dad used to work the same angle with a different face in each territory.

Yes we've all heard the stories of guys driving 400 miles for $25. But it wasn't like that for everyone.

After my dad died we found two of his record books where he kept track of pay, and expenses and schedule.  
One from the 60's and one from the 70's. He was making damn good money.  Working around 300 days a year.  
The shows where they tapped TV the money was not so good. Promoters back then didn't pay a whole lot for TV tappings . One because they could only cram like 25-50 people in the TV studios and two the wrestlers pay was "him getting exposer" on TV.

There were times in tge 60's where he was making $300 a night. My buddies grandfather was a Dallas policeman at that time and that's what he made in in one month.

When he was working for Watts his schedule wasn't as heavy and he might make around $2000 a week. Bigger playoffs would come on shows like the superdome depending on the house.

Not to mention guys could go to Japan and Australlia. That's where bigger money would come in for my dad.
That's why he always kept a good relationship with Barnett.

Wrestlers back then ended up with nothing because they didn't know how to save or the business would ruin marriages and they would lose money on the devorce. My dad included.  

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »
Nick Bockwinkle put it best when he said...you go to a territory...spend 8 weeks squashing guys on tv...face the world champion of that territory for weeks on house shows ending with a cage match...collect 200,000 grand in the process on gates and pay per appearances and u move on to the next territory to do it again with someone else.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »
Nick Bockwinkle put it best when he said...you go to a territory...spend 8 weeks squashing guys on tv...face the world champion of that territory for weeks on house shows ending with a cage match...collect 200,000 grand in the process on gates and pay per appearances and u move on to the next territory to do it again with someone else.
TO CARL AND PLAYBOY NOT TO SINGLE OUT SEPERATLEY,YOUR BOTH SPOT ON...NOT TRYING TO GO ADNASEUM ABOUT GREAT YRS 70/80'S TERRITORIES BUT IT WAS GREAT AS YOU BOTH SAID TO KEEP IT FROM GETTING STALE,WWWF/WWF BOB BACKLUND WOULD HAVE ANY NUMBER OF GUYS COMING THROUGH SNUKA,HANSEN,STASIAK,MASKED SUPERSTAR,AND ALBANO/BLASSIE/GRAND WIZED WOULD GUIDE THEM THROUGH THAT WKS OR MONTHS PERIOD TO GET TO MAIN EVENT OR 2ND OR EVEN 3RD MATCH AT THE GARDEN THEN THEY LEAVE.GOOD STUFF.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Great post, Karl.

There's an Austin podcast in which Jim Ross is the guest. Ross is of the opinion that McMahon didn't kill the territories as much as they killed themselves, by not changing with the times. It's a good listen, if you get a chance.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »
Great post, Karl.

There's an Austin podcast in which Jim Ross is the guest. Ross is of the opinion that McMahon didn't kill the territories as much as they killed themselves, by not changing with the times. It's a good listen, if you get a chance.

Think I've heard it. I'll go back a check.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 04:17:54 PM »
The territories died because Vince raided there talent pools leaving them with nothing. Mind u..Vince had the vision and national exposure that the old school promoters lacked.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
I've mentioned here before that my opinion is that the territories were going to die with or without Vince. Prior to mainstream WWF, professional wrestling was headed the way of vaudeville. In one sense, Vince actually saved pro-wrestling from extinction.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
Karls post is spot on...I guess a part of me hopes/misses the different territories along withe the variety of talent with different skills.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
One  a magician reveals how a trick is done, he can never again full people with that trick.

Smartening up the public is just one of the reasons we will never relive the old days.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
One  a magician reveals how a trick is done, he can never again full people with that trick.

Smartening up the public is just one of the reasons we will never relive the old days.
I still say Vince put a serious dent in territorial wrestling. The flip side is you need to change with the timez. Crockett had the players and the money up to a point but no patience. Kip Frey, Don Watts, Fritz and Gagne ...if u had to deal with that bunch you had to set your watch to 1965.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
I still say Vince put a serious dent in territorial wrestling. The flip side is you need to change with the timez. Crockett had the players and the money up to a point but no patience. Kip Frey, Don Watts, Fritz and Gagne ...if u had to deal with that bunch you had to set your watch to 1965.

Yep. They were on the way out regardless.