Author Topic: The static strength of elite powerlifters is unhuman  (Read 7915 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Re: The static strength of elite powerlifters is unhuman
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
These shirts are just the finishing touch. Adding 100lbs at most.  964 minus 100 for the shirt and these guys could bench 864 Raw. Do the math.

haha people bit it hard. Way too easy.
A

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
These shirts are just the finishing touch. Adding 100lbs at most.  964 minus 100 for the shirt and these guys could bench 864 Raw. Do the math.

Good point bro, obviously they could bench a good 150lbs over Spoto and Mendelson in his prime.

Hadn't thought about it that way.

Curses, trolled again. The money comment should have been the give away  :-[

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »
He is having trouble bringing the weight down because his bench shirt is tight as hell. Do you really think someone whould have so much static strength they could not touch their chest?

Raw benching has not come forth hardly at all in 30 but Geared lifting has sky rocketed. I was a 900 pound bencher in gear and 600-625 in a tee shirt.

Raw World record belongs to Eric Spoto at 722 and Shirted to Tiny Meeker at 1100. I do not know what Tiny does raw but I'd be willing to bet he is getting well over 400 plus pounds out of his shirt.

To each their own on shirted or raw I love both and respect both. but dont think that static strength is keeping him from coming down when he is wearing a skin tight 3ply Inzer Phenom bench shirt.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
Kennelly's best raw was #650ish in contest, #685 gym.

Meeker use to raw a bit over #600 in the gym, but I'm not sure if he's done any raw meets in years. I know he doesn't do much big lifting out of the shirts anymore because of a labrum tear repair that he doesn't want to damage. By his own admission, he doesn't go over low #400s raw anymore.

Wez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »
I did PL meets for 14 years. 242 class. Benched 445 in a single ply in the 50 year old class. Not one woman looked at me and nobody said shit to me in the gym. Now I weigh 202..BF down to 12%. Women are all over me and everyone wants to know how I train at the gym. Gal is right. Nobody cares about a Permabulker. I never go over 225 in the bench anymore...ever. I respect and loved PL but I like women better.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
Good point bro, obviously they could bench a good 150lbs over Spoto and Mendelson in his prime.

Hadn't thought about it that way.

Curses, trolled again. The money comment should have been the give away  :-[

:)  sorry, couldn't resist.  These shirt are ridiculous. I tried a single ply once and I had difficulty getting a 150lb bar down to my chest and it dug into the back of my arms. It was like doing a lying down lat pulldown.  Fuck knows what these maxi ply shirts are doing.  I would imagine 400 lbs of weight needed to stretch them down to chest touching range. Pressure of the arms where the shirt takes the stress must be immense. I would love to see one of these fat fucks upper arms snap with the force or just see a shirt rip halfway down and watch their ribcage explode.

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
:)  sorry, couldn't resist.  These shirt are ridiculous. I tried a single ply once and I had difficulty getting a 150lb bar down to my chest and it dug into the back of my arms. It was like doing a lying down lat pulldown.  Fuck knows what these maxi ply shirts are doing.  I would imagine 400 lbs of weight needed to stretch them down to chest touching range. Pressure of the arms where the shirt takes the stress must be immense. I would love to see one of these fat fucks upper arms snap with the force or just see a shirt rip halfway down and watch their ribcage explode.

Both of these have happened! I weighed in at 345 and blacked out bringing 903 down and dropped it on myself. That basicly retired me from geared lifting. Only been in a shirt prolly a 1/2 dozen times since. All raw power here now.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »

yeah, and yet people here will argue in all seriousness that shirted benchers only get 100lbs if that out of the shirt.. so I fell for it :(

Even my single ply gave me close to 250 on my bench, although I still couldn't fully touch even with 705 on the bar. And that was single ply.

Stupidest shit ever imo, glad I stopped before I tore something

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »

I was there taking pics from just below the stage at the 2006 Ironman Pro when Tiny Meeker's wrist snapped (or was it elbow?). All I heard was a "snap" and a scream.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
He is having trouble bringing the weight down because his bench shirt is tight as hell. Do you really think someone whould have so much static strength they could not touch their chest?

Raw benching has not come forth hardly at all in 30 but Geared lifting has sky rocketed. I was a 900 pound bencher in gear and 600-625 in a tee shirt.

Raw World record belongs to Eric Spoto at 722 and Shirted to Tiny Meeker at 1100. I do not know what Tiny does raw but I'd be willing to bet he is getting well over 400 plus pounds out of his shirt.

To each their own on shirted or raw I love both and respect both. but dont think that static strength is keeping him from coming down when he is wearing a skin tight 3ply Inzer Phenom bench shirt.

How can there be a "world record" with all of the different federations out there?

Ron Jeremy

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
Ryan Kennelly is a guest of the state currently. Spotto is incredible and is by far the best raw bencher competing. I have seen James Henderson bench raw. 700+ but he resembles a grizzly in appearance. 6'4" and around 4 bills.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
  I would love to see one of these fat fucks upper arms snap with the force or just see a shirt rip halfway down and watch their ribcage explode.

yes I was thinking more like the arm shearing at the elbow

the companies that sell these injury devices should be given tax breaks

"

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
How can there be a "world record" with all of the different federations out there?

It is an all time record meaning the most ever done no matter what fed or what sanction. It's the most ever done in a Sanctioned meet.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »
It is an all time record meaning the most ever done no matter what fed or what sanction. It's the most ever done in a Sanctioned meet.

Cool, thanks 8)

Edit: vvvvvvv that's kinda what i was getting at.  I know some federations pass lifts that would get a red light elsewhere

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »

Some federations are more strict than others. I think it was the SPF that was handing out green lights to total shit lifts just to say they had the strongest fed. That was years ago so no disrespect to anyone there now.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
Hey Wolfe, any rule of thumb on how fast to let the bar descend when pressing raw. Seems like I'm going too slow and my fucking biceps are killing me

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
Some federations are more strict than others. I think it was the SPF that was handing out green lights to total shit lifts just to say they had the strongest fed. That was years ago so no disrespect to anyone there now.

It was the SPF. With their meets, you've got to see which guys are involved and which gyms are involved. Some are closer to a bunch of friends passing out records, while others are very decent.

Sporto's record happened at one that was run reasonably strict, so it's been more or less respected by other lifters and feds.

-------------

On the speed of bar descent, I've never seen any rules of thumb on it, that's always been more of an individual lifter thing, I've seen it go both ways, but more seem to favor a fast descent as long as it it was under control.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
99% of them look like shit, Dan Green is an exception.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
I competed more in powerlifting then I did bodybuilding, but yet I cannot explain the use of assistance. I competed raw only.

I mean if your using all that shit to help you lift something, you obviously can't lift it. These knuckleheads prolly run around saying how they bench 900 pounds, when in reality, with none of that shit on, and doing a proper bench press, 600 would prolly crush them. Not that 600 isn't impressive, but engineers should be the best powerlifters by this logic.

Who can build the smallest, strongest crane and lift more weight... It's the same thing.
$

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
I competed more in powerlifting then I did bodybuilding, but yet I cannot explain the use of assistance. I competed raw only.

I mean if your using all that shit to help you lift something, you obviously can't lift it. These knuckleheads prolly run around saying how they bench 900 pounds, when in reality, with none of that shit on, and doing a proper bench press, 600 would prolly crush them. Not that 600 isn't impressive, but engineers should be the best powerlifters by this logic.

Who can build the smallest, strongest crane and lift more weight... It's the same thing.

This is a debate that will go on forever and ever and ever and ever and ever times infinity!!! I have competed both ways and love both sides of the sport, but at this current time I choose to stay raw. I will not bash shirted lifting or geared lifting it is what it is and I train guys to do it. It's just not for me anymore, I'm raw from this point forward.

My point being here is lift where you want to lift, compete in what ever fed you want to compete in but dont let people think you bench 900 when in all reality with out the shirt you bench 500 :(

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
Hey Wolfe, any rule of thumb on how fast to let the bar descend when pressing raw. Seems like I'm going too slow and my fucking biceps are killing me

I drop the bar in very very fast let it sink a bit let the triceps load wit for the press command and explode as fast up as I came down. Going down slow is really a bodybuilding thing, beat it with speed and tricep strength!!!!

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »
What is the origin of equipment ie shirts in competitive benching?  Like when the first ones came out, what were they intended for?

Benching 1000 lbs is super-impressive no matter what kind of shirt you're wearing but it just seems like an odd direction for the sport to have branched into.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
hm why dont they just lift what they realy can lift.
? ???

whats next will they allow the use of cranes to assist the lifts?

::)
n

Wez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
I have heard Louie Simmons equate equipped lifting to Football with all of the padding they now wear. Not agreeing just reporting in.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
I used to train with Meeker years ago.  He has a gym here in Houston.

I've seen him bench low 600's RAW.

He's a funny guy and helps a lot of new guys in the game.  My first few equipped meets he taught me how to rotate the sleeves on the bench shirt to get more drive.

He drove a Geo Metro years ago and used to get under the rear bumper and try to press it off the ground.  He drove that Metro just for kicks because he could barely fit in it and thought it was funny.

Cool guy and strong as fuck.