Author Topic: Do any of you actually have an Amex Centurion Card?  (Read 2225 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Do any of you actually have an Amex Centurion Card?
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
The black card. Is there any real benefit between that and a platinum Amex? I looked into it and both of the travel options are the same, free first class companion ticket for international flights, and both have consierge service, but is there any real difference other than status? I wanted to know if anyone actually had one, and if they thought it was worth it. It's a $5,000 initiation fee, which I could trade for points, but a $2,500 yearly fee. It doesn't seem to have any added benefits to a platinum card.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Do any of you actually have an Amex Centurion Card?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
The black card. Is there any real benefit between that and a platinum Amex? I looked into it and both of the travel options are the same, free first class companion ticket for international flights, and both have consierge service, but is there any real difference other than status? I wanted to know if anyone actually had one, and if they thought it was worth it. It's a $5,000 initiation fee, which I could trade for points, but a $2,500 yearly fee. It doesn't seem to have any added benefits to a platinum card.

Frankly, the platinum isn't really worth it anymore, not even for the $400. I traded mine in for the "Premier" Gold Card. It earns triple points.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I just carry my assets in cash brah. Like a drug dealer.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »
I just have the Amex corporate to be honest.

I know the Black card requires you to spend 250K on it every year, or at least it used to.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
Yes.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
I have an Amex Serve Card. ;D
A

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:32:15 PM »
Yes. Great benefits for travel and events in general. They have lounges as well that I always use in airports. Events wise I often he line by pass and free drinks. If you travel a lot its a great card.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Debt is for poor people.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
There was a thread about this a year ago.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=436010.msg6256313#msg6256313

Since when did Amex merge with Visa and then create a time machine and retroactively change their Centurion Card to the Visa Black Card?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »
Since when did Amex merge with Visa and then create a time machine and retroactively change their Centurion Card to the Visa Black Card?
Two separate cards.   :D

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »

You too can own a "New Era Black Card Cap" with letter of authenticity from the CEO for the low, low price of 61 bucks.  Great for dinner parties, or impressing your closest friends on getbig.   :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NEW-ERA-VISA-BLACK-CARD-SNAPBACK-FLAT-BILL-ADJUSTABLE-CAP-HAT-9FIFTY-/171230600886?pt=US_Hats&hash=item27de239eb6

oliolioli

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
Two separate cards.   :D

I know, quite different!  The Amex one is much more exclusive, although you Wiki these elite cards apparently there is the JP Morgan palladium card that requires you to have an account with them and 2 million in liquid assets.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
You too can own a "New Era Black Card Cap" with letter of authenticity from the CEO for the low, low price of 61 bucks.  Great for dinner parties, or impressing your closest friends on getbig.   :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NEW-ERA-VISA-BLACK-CARD-SNAPBACK-FLAT-BILL-ADJUSTABLE-CAP-HAT-9FIFTY-/171230600886?pt=US_Hats&hash=item27de239eb6
I don`t wear hats and was pissed when they sent it to me. (especially that wide brimmed nonsense for the hip hop crowd)  Before that I got a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses all black, before that, a Black Mag-Light Flashlight.  I wonder what I will get this year.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »
I know, quite different!  The Amex one is much more exclusive, although you Wiki these elite cards apparently there is the JP Morgan palladium card that requires you to have an account with them and 2 million in liquid assets.
Not sure about that as I wouldn`t need anything else. 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
Yes. Great benefits for travel and events in general. They have lounges as well that I always use in airports. Events wise I often he line by pass and free drinks. If you travel a lot its a great card.

You get all of the travel benefits with the platinum. So then, there's really no reason to have it.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »

You get all of the travel benefits with the platinum. So then, there's really no reason to have it.

Here is the difference.  I can get a first class upgrade for a ticket to the UK and say Texas.  I frequent both often for work. One trip each pays for the cards fees. I travel a quite a bit.  I also write off the fee as an expense.  This allows me to utilize the card outside of work as well. It's definitely worth it if you travel. 

As far as becoming a member. Amex did not invite me as they say they do.  I DO NOT have a 9 million dollar net worth unless you calculate my company equity which even still it's a push.  I had my secretary do it all for me and she requested it for me.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Here is the difference.  I can get a first class upgrade for a ticket to the UK and say Texas.  I frequent both often for work. One trip each pays for the cards fees. I travel a quite a bit.  I also write off the fee as an expense.  This allows me to utilize the card outside of work as well. It's definitely worth it if you travel. 

As far as becoming a member. Amex did not invite me as they say they do.  I DO NOT have a 9 million dollar net worth unless you calculate my company equity which even still it's a push.  I had my secretary do it all for me and she requested it for me.

Do you get the upgrade for free or something? I am able to buy the first class ticket, and get a free companion ticket, for international flights. So, if I buy a first class, and get the second "free", it's about the same as two coach tickets. I don't have the net worth of 9 million, but do spend the $250k a year on the card to be eligible, but didn't know if there was some real reason to do it. All Amex are great, even when I had the green card, it was the best card I ever owned. I hate not talking to a human, and I can always talk to one with them.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
Do you get the upgrade for free or something? I am able to buy the first class ticket, and get a free companion ticket, for international flights. So, if I buy a first class, and get the second "free", it's about the same as two coach tickets. I don't have the net worth of 9 million, but do spend the $250k a year on the card to be eligible, but didn't know if there was some real reason to do it. All Amex are great, even when I had the green card, it was the best card I ever owned. I hate not talking to a human, and I can always talk to one with them.

I get my upgrades for free dude!!  I don't know about you but I travel from Pearson a lot in Toronto.  It's very very expensive to travel from Canada to .... because of the taxes.  So for me to fly first class to the UK or Spain would be 5k.  I can pay 800 and get the upgrade free.

I am pretty sure I do not meet the standard on the net worth side  to qualify. Spending wise I do.  Clearly not personal expense but for work easily. 

goomba420

• Getbig III
  • It could always be worse. Positivity is key.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
No however I have a Chase Freedom card and it is okay.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
There was a thread about this a year ago.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=436010.msg6256313#msg6256313

Do you find the card a little weird weight wise? Texture, etc..  The way it present when you pay for something after they run it.  I use to feel cool now its embarrassing

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
Do you find the card a little weird weight wise? Texture, etc..  The way it present when you pay for something after they run it.  I use to feel cool now its embarrassing
Its obnoxious to be honest and only use it for business purposes.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »
Its obnoxious to be honest and only use it for business purposes.

Funny I went through a stage when I was flashing that left and right. now I am very reserved about it. Almost like taking a limo somewhere. I use to think that was cool, now I would rather ride a bike.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
Funny I went through a stage when I was flashing that left and right. now I am very reserved about it. Almost like taking a limo somewhere. I use to think that was cool, now I would rather ride a bike.
The novelty of everything like that wears off.  Plus, its an open invitation for you to be charged the full amount for everything.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
The novelty of everything like that wears off.  Plus, its an open invitation for you to be charged the full amount for everything.

And others around you to take advantage? in my world at least.

As much as TA and I bust each others chops he's definitely one of good stock here. Weird how this place has changed though. Hung out with 'No one' today for a bit, trained and grabbed a bite. there's probably two or three on here I'd hang with the rest, well what happened to this place? Sad state