Author Topic: Squats  (Read 2857 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Squats
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
I do not believe any other exercise will build mass and power like the Squat.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Squats
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:32:27 AM »
Yeah I would agree...
No doubt about it...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:50:32 AM »
g/o board had a small argument in the the leg don thread that there useless a few members there that have decent but not legs u would get from squatting instead of leg press/extensions,there excuse was 'ass got big'ruins look,not neccessary to build good legs,,i squat and or hack wkly,and still go heavy as in what can handle for lowest rep wise 8 never do less than 8 ,mostly higher reps ,my max was 465 x3.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »
I don't know......I noticed squats and deads went up a little when I started doing cleans. Unfortunately, my form is atrocious to say the least and I have set cleans aside for now.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
I don't know......I noticed squats and deads went up a little when I started doing cleans. Unfortunately, my form is atrocious to say the least and I have set cleans aside for now.
cleans are tough,even someone like me who is more looking for 'vanity 'aspect of lifting,they are probab;ly worth it ,i should set aside some time in a rotation to them..

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »
cleans are tough,even someone like me who is more looking for 'vanity 'aspect of lifting,they are probab;ly worth it ,i should set aside some time in a rotation to them..
I did them on back day, either in place of deads or after deads. Can't drop the weight in my gym so I had to lower it, which is a giant pain in the ass.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:13:15 AM »
power cleans i like too. really a good exercise. some of These power Lifting moves are not easy to get right. I doubt if my form is 100% correct either. works a vast amount of muscle.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
If power cleans or Hi-pulls (both hanging, off boxes, platforms, PR/cage/A frame) were done with the usually BB'ing style sets & reps, might see some great improvement, and very quickly, to total back depth and muscle mass. Hitting the rear delts, upper/lower traps and even lats, with great focus. Even upright row, done in a looser style, thrown into the mix.

Might remember that doing any of these movement, to keep the bar close to the body will be very important when learning the proper form, giving less stress on the shoulders, hips and lower back. PC's & Hi-pulls also influence the hams, to a lesser degree. Might also suggest using DB's, from time to time, alternating each arm. Another power and mass exercise.

One of the ultimate stamina (endurance & strength) movements is the squat clean. Will tend to set the metabolism up for adding muscle mass in most folks. Try 12 reps, for a couple of sets, to find out what I mean.

We have high school and college girls regularly doing cleans in their workouts, for general sports training. Most always start with the basic Olympic bar (135lb) for reps and work up from there. A average male BB'er should easily work into the 200lb+ range, for 3X8-10's reps without any problem, after learning the correct form of these pulls.   Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »
If power cleans or Hi-pulls (both hanging, off boxes, platforms, PR/cage/A frame) were done with the usually BB'ing style sets & reps, might see some great improvement, and very quickly, to total back depth and muscle mass. Hitting the rear delts, upper/lower traps and even lats, with great focus. Even upright row, done in a looser style, thrown into the mix.

Might remember that doing any of these movement, to keep the bar close to the body will be very important when learning the proper form, giving less stress on the shoulders, hips and lower back. PC's & Hi-pulls also influence the hams, to a lesser degree. Might also suggest using DB's, from time to time, alternating each arm. Another power and mass exercise.

One of the ultimate stamina (endurance & strength) movements is the squat clean. Will tend to set the metabolism up for adding muscle mass in most folks. Try 12 reps, for a couple of sets, to find out what I mean.

We have high school and college girls regularly doing cleans in their workouts, for general sports training. Most always start with the basic Olympic bar (135lb) for reps and work up from there. A average male BB'er should easily work into the 200lb+ range, for 3X8-10's reps without any problem, after learning the correct form of these pulls.   Good Luck.

Just curious. Can you do 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps with 200 for cleans.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
Resolving Oldtimer1's curiosity:

Yes I can and yes I have.  Started seriously back in the high school football weight room, as which most every other guy who played football (and most any other form of sports) has.

Cleans and Hi-pulls have been two of my favorite exercises for many years. Mention this quite a few times since coming to GB. First choice would be Hi-pulls and second would be cleans. Have done set's of 3's to sets of 20+ reps during those years. Floor, rack, hangs, box, chains, bands, pins, etc. Also am a big fan of upright rows, another productive pulling movement for the traps, delts (all 3 heads) and biceps/forearms.

Have also spend much time doing squat cleans & jerk presses, in my view one of the best single compound exercises, if not the best, exercise  around (personal view only).  Squats & DL's are mass producing exercises, and I put cleans, Hi-pulls and squat cleans & jerk presses right up in that class.   Good Luck
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
Resolving Oldtimer1's curiosity:

Yes I can and yes I have.  Started seriously back in the high school football weight room, as which most every other guy who played football (and most any other form of sports) has.

Cleans and Hi-pulls have been two of my favorite exercises for many years. Mention this quite a few times since coming to GB. First choice would be Hi-pulls and second would be cleans. Have done set's of 3's to sets of 20+ reps during those years. Floor, rack, hangs, box, chains, bands, pins, etc. Also am a big fan of upright rows, another productive pulling movement for the traps, delts (all 3 heads) and biceps/forearms.

Have also spend much time doing squat cleans & jerk presses, in my view one of the best single compound exercises, if not the best, exercise  around (personal view only).  Squats & DL's are mass producing exercises, and I put cleans, Hi-pulls and squat cleans & jerk presses right up in that class.   Good Luck

Impressive being able to clean 200 for 3 sets of 10. I didn't realize how easy that was with all the guys on your high school team doing it.  I never see this at the bodybuilding gyms I train at. I guess you can do an easy single with 315lbs. Impressive. Please take your smart phone and film yourself doing a power clean for 10  reps with 200lbs and make me eat crow.  It's easy right? Everyone kid in high school is doing it and now that you're a man it should be easier. If you can do this it would be impressive unless you're a 225lbs plus guy.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »
Answering OldTimer1's inquiry:

Impressive,but not all that impressive to experience trainers (not saying I am by any means), with regards to the 200lb cleans, for 3X8-10.  Smaller Olympic class lifters do things like this all the time. BB'ing gyms are great, but Olympic and sport training centers are exceptional. How smooth the groove and effort of some of their lift is very impressive. That would also include a few women lifters. Just think what the heavyweight and super heavy weight lifters can do with training cleans & Hi-pulls poundage, well beyond the basic 205 bar.

Kids in High school (focus on football, with a few field event shot putters/pole vault/hammer throwers included) can hover around the 250 to near 300lb bwt mark and can be beastly powerful. Even the smaller 180+lbs handle weight hoist well above their own bwt. Even kid in high school can not accomplish 200-3X8-10 cleans...never stated that.

You would see this in BB'ing gyms if more would adapt the clean/Hi-pull as part of their muscle mass workouts. That 205 basic weight could become a common practice, and for 3X8-10's. A lot of sport trainers think of BB'ers as a dainty bunch, way too worries of getting hurt and such. I don't think that, but many sports minded guy do.

Your sparking interest in me is a bit surprising...anyway: I'm  1/4 inch under 6'2, weight about an hour ago (on my lady friend scale...she's into crossfitness so the scale is fairly right on) was 248..naked (hope that doesn't spark you interest OldTimer1). I can clean and press over the basic 205 for 8-10 reps (and beyond)..which doesn't prove much anyway...in my view...a lot of folks can. I favor Polynesian decent.

I don't have a smart phone, just the Net10 base model. Trying to keep life simple.  I will never post a picture or video of my exploits, or lack of exploits, on GB or any place else. Just my nature to not do so, being a private person. Stated his over and over since coming on GB, many  year ago. I'm sure OldTimer1 has in the past, if that's his thing, showing his exploits and lifting victory's.

Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
Answering OldTimer1's inquiry:

Impressive,but not all that impressive to experience trainers (not saying I am by any means), with regards to the 200lb cleans, for 3X8-10.  Smaller Olympic class lifters do things like this all the time. BB'ing gyms are great, but Olympic and sport training centers are exceptional. How smooth the groove and effort of some of their lift is very impressive. That would also include a few women lifters. Just think what the heavyweight and super heavy weight lifters can do with training cleans & Hi-pulls poundage, well beyond the basic 205 bar.

Kids in High school (focus on football, with a few field event shot putters/pole vault/hammer throwers included) can hover around the 250 to near 300lb bwt mark and can be beastly powerful. Even the smaller 180+lbs handle weight hoist well above their own bwt. Even kid in high school can not accomplish 200-3X8-10 cleans...never stated that.

You would see this in BB'ing gyms if more would adapt the clean/Hi-pull as part of their muscle mass workouts. That 205 basic weight could become a common practice, and for 3X8-10's. A lot of sport trainers think of BB'ers as a dainty bunch, way too worries of getting hurt and such. I don't think that, but many sports minded guy do.

Your sparking interest in me is a bit surprising...anyway: I'm  1/4 inch under 6'2, weight about an hour ago (on my lady friend scale...she's into crossfitness so the scale is fairly right on) was 248..naked (hope that doesn't spark you interest OldTimer1). I can clean and press over the basic 205 for 8-10 reps (and beyond)..which doesn't prove much anyway...in my view...a lot of folks can. I favor Polynesian decent.

I don't have a smart phone, just the Net10 base model. Trying to keep life simple.  I will never post a picture or video of my exploits, or lack of exploits, on GB or any place else. Just my nature to not do so, being a private person. Stated his over and over since coming on GB, many  year ago. I'm sure OldTimer1 has in the past, if that's his thing, showing his exploits and lifting victory's.

Good Luck.
Sparked my interest!! :-*
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
Impressive being able to clean 200 for 3 sets of 10. I didn't realize how easy that was with all the guys on your high school team doing it.  I never see this at the bodybuilding gyms I train at. I guess you can do an easy single with 315lbs. Impressive. Please take your smart phone and film yourself doing a power clean for 10  reps with 200lbs and make me eat crow.  It's easy right? Everyone kid in high school is doing it and now that you're a man it should be easier. If you can do this it would be impressive unless you're a 225lbs plus guy.

205lbs for reps was common for the seniors on my football team.

Oldtimer1 I'm not sure where you're from - europe? - but here in the US in competitive football cities and towns most highschool football weightlifting programs focus on 3 main lifts: the bench, the squat, and the power clean.

Our program had us lifting year around. Even in the off season for us players our PE class at school was strength and conditioning. Lifting was mandatory.

Keep in mind most of the kids on these HS football teams have been weightlifting since their senior year in middleschool when the highschools go and recruit and have them training even before the summer of their freshman year. So we're talking about a good solid 3-4 years of weight training. 205 for a couple reps is nothing extraordinary.
A

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
For power I'm not sure. Personally I find power cleans and high intensity sprints are best for developing power.

But for mass? No doubt it's the best. I've found that there is a direct correlation between increasing my squat and my bodyweight. When one goes up, so does the other.