Author Topic: Should I buy special shoes for running?  (Read 2993 times)

MrsMuscles

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Should I buy special shoes for running?
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
I walk to loose weight and so far Iv've lost about 20 pounds. I think I might want to try jogging now but am wondering if you think I should buy special shoes. Walking is not working anymore.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Should I buy special shoes for running?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »
Yes
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:56 AM »
Yes, specially if you are overweight.
Don't forget dieting.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
Your not holding  that 4 letter word "DIET" to much importance, which may be your first  mistake. Getting the mind set to understand that diet, exercise and a mental attitude (discipline/strength of will) all work together. Diet (from the Greek) means way of life and you really will have to make adjustments to your own if serious about losing FAT. Exercise alone is just one part of fat lost.

If you plan to run on a indoor trace, treadmill, outside tract, uneven ground,etc there are different shoe styles for this. Might suggest, as a starter, a cross training shoe for an all around shoe , which also can be used for general weight workouts in a gym/spa.

Don't know where you live, but here in SoCal there are many outlet stores, selling name brand training shoes. When a new line of shoe is introduced, these outlet stores sell the past models, which may be the big style 6 months old, at much lower prices. Suggest Big 5 stores, for a better selection. Costco and Sam's, at times, may offer what you need.

Keep in mind lowering the daily carb intake also, has work wonders for a lot of folks. Even gluten reduction has been known to help.   Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
I walk to loose weight and so far Iv've lost about 20 pounds. I think I might want to try jogging now but am wondering if you think I should buy special shoes. Walking is not working anymore.
my advice is if Training in a Gym use the Bike or cross Trainer. If you are like me and like fresh air,pain, then invest in good shoes. You have to if you are overweight,want to lose weight. I have myself run in cheap shoes and i can tell you it screws you up. ASICS are the best.. although i use Nike at the Moment.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »
shoes just for runnning, yes.
sept 10th APF

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
Again, you can't work off more than you eat if your diet is not a priority. It is 70-80% of the weight loss factor. It should be your number one priority. You can try the excercise alone way, but you will be spinning your wheels much of the time

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:55:47 AM »
That is ridiculous. If diet was 80 percent of a weight loss factor many more people would be in shape. Exercise is extremely important.

So I bought my running shoes! They are Nike and very comfortable. I will start using them tomorrow and I will let you know how they go.

I can see you aren't ready yet..but I wish you luck.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »
I was ready yesterday! I went out for my first run but it only lasted about a minute. It was harder than I thought but I did walk the rest of the way at a quick pace.

I meant you're resistance to the fact diet is a bigger factor than excercise in weight loss. Both should be incorporated but if you can only pick one...diet. Again, I wish you luck. At least you are trying to do something about it.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
go to a small independently owned running shoe store for expert help picking up your first pair
X

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »
a snails pace or runners lane her in so cal.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
It's just that I really hate dieting so I figure I'll see how much weight I can lose with exercise first.

Thank you for the store suggestions! I am in California as well!

come on,half meal less one at a time won't be that bad
T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:39:02 AM »
I meant you're resistance to the fact diet is a bigger factor than excercise in weight loss. Both should be incorporated but if you can only pick one...diet. Again, I wish you luck. At least you are trying to do something about it.
I agree diet is key but not the only factor. If you do a 4 or 5 split do every time 30 mins interval alternated with a Programme which changes, now and again a hill workout, mix it up. I Train every day 30 mins doing a different Programme.. if you do 30 mins cardio like i think it should be done ..you will lose weight. A lot of Bodybuilders think Cardio Training is just for "cutting" up or pre contest, i am not a competative lifter but know how to Keep in shape and cardio is a very important part of Fitness. do not become one of the People who say Bodybuilders do not Need cardio.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »
For your information I am eating more fruit and drinking more diet pop instead of regular pop pluse I've lost 4 pounds.

hey joon

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »

Forget jogging if you are trying to lose weight. Walking hasn't stopped working, your rate of weight loss has slowed. Keep walking, maybe increase your distance/pace a bit and keep you diet in check. You will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Jogging will just place unnecessary strain on your joints and impair your recovery from and performance during strength training (which is the most vital aspect of your program when losing weight).