Author Topic: Stretching  (Read 3740 times)

Tubbs

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigger!
Stretching
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »
What's the best? Between sets, at the end of the work-out, both? Some people say it's bad to do it between sets, what do you guys think?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Stretching
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:00:30 AM »
I've read a bunch of articles saying stretching doesn't prevent injurys.  I don't stretch.....ever but I'm just too lazy.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:11:11 AM »
if you're gonna do it at all after
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 09:14:54 AM »
this is a debatable issue. from what i've read before training is contra productive sapping strength
between sets i dont know probably as bad
if youre gonna do it do it afterwards
then there's that doggcrap stuff about different kinda stretch etc i havent even begun to look into that  ;D
Z

Tubbs

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigger!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »
Thanks guys; I'm like you, don't know anymore what's the right thing to do with all those contradictory opinions!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:37:59 AM »
If you want to maintain flexability, then you need to stretch.  But if you don't care, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:32:11 AM »
I've read vertain articles that are all for stretching & then again i've read articles that say that it will make you more prone to injuries if you stretch before your training.Most agree however, that i've read, that stretching is good after your training.Myself I have never stretched before or during exercise because as Get_Bigger mentioned I just can't be bothered w/it. Then again i've never experienced an injury from weight training & maybe if I did I might change my opinion on that topic.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 11:56:47 AM »
I always make sure to stretch my legs after leg day...thats the only day i worry about it....my legs will get so sore and cramp up in the night especially my calves so personally i gotta do some stretching or i won't be able to walk up or down stairs the next day...i find it helps.
bodybuildersreality.com

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
i stretch both during and after a workout.  i think "during" is especially important when you do legs.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 12:05:49 PM »
I met a guy backin the mid 90's who went to MIT and spent almost 20 years studying strecthing.  He designed some equipment specifically for streecthing.  The only problem was he modeled it after Hammer Strength and it was large and awkward but was unreal.  You use your own body to strecth every muscle group in the human body.  Awesome stuff.  He sent me allot of research and stuff that Ididn't understand most of it.  But I thought I remembered reading about how streetching is effective and useful in muscle growth, stamina and endurance.  Strecthing assists in opening capillaries and increasing blood flow.  Stretching is something that nearly every living creature does in oneway or another.  It helps to lengthen the muscle tissue.  Like a rubber band, ifyou keep pulling at it it gets looser.  I have always stretched.  We strecthed all the time in Gymnastics and ballet when I was younger.  It surprised people all the time how loose and limber I was consideringhow big I was.  At 300 lbs.  I could easily do the splits all the way down, I could put my leg behind my head and easily kick over my head.  I could throw a baseball or any ball just like I did when I played.  I attribute all of it because I stretched all the time.  I was never and still not tight.  It keeps you athletic.  So I am all for stretching.  There is no way it could be bad for you.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »
I've read a bunch of articles saying stretching doesn't prevent injurys.  I don't stretch.....ever but I'm just too lazy.

true, and i think it's actually more likely to cause injuries.  I prefer stretching after, with a little bit of cardio to loosen the muscle.  I don't really stretch my upper body, just my legs and hips. 
:-)

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
For weight lifting I've read your stretching should be some light cardio and then very light warm up set. Between sets you should 'stretch' by flexing and contracting your muscles as hard as you can and then you should fully stretch after a workout.
Intensity; the measure of man

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 04:41:38 AM »
I also don't stretch.

And if you claim that bodybuilding stiffens you, that's a damn lie.
Make sure you do ones in while slow full roms with lighter weights, and do a other sports beside BB. Sprinting and swimming loosens you up.
You propably won't be able to do a split, but you won't feel stiff.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 10:28:35 AM »
As a runner, stretching is very important all the time to prevent injury especially if you are doing faster intervals/sprints/drills.

Whenever I lift, I always do 5-10 minutes of easy cardio, then a light warm-up set to be sure I have good range of motion. If I feel stiff or tight, then I stretch those muscles out a bit then do my regular lifting.

BUT----I always stretch for 10-15 minutes at least after doing heavy legs or my running will suffer the next day from soreness. Doing this has kept me injury-free  and very flexible for years.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 01:49:49 PM »
I had a reaaaal nice stretch after my workout today....

i've fallen into a really nice niche (for my slow cutting).

Approx. 45 mins lift.
15 mins high-intensity interval cardio
10-15 mins stretching.

Except on leg days, i don't do cardio and the lift takes longer.  This helps keep you going so I don't burn out when cutting, as you tend to do.  It helps to have a strong bodypart to take it easy on; i'm only doing chest once per week.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
What's the best? Between sets, at the end of the work-out, both? Some people say it's bad to do it between sets, what do you guys think?

Stretch in the evening, long after your workout.  If you stretch right after your workout, you'll be warm and more flexible than normal  from your workout and won't get as much of the benefit from stretching.  If you stretch early in the morning, when you are cold and stiff, you could get injured.  If you stretch right before or during your workout, you will not prevent injury, but you will waste energy and hurt your workout.  Stretching is beneficial to keep or increase flexibility.  The more flexible you are, the less likely you are to get injured during training.  But if you are not flexible at all, stretching right before or during your training is not going to help you, but hurt you instead.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
you know, i think loco is on to something.  Still, i'd say at night IN ADDITION to after a workout, not instead.  It's like, if you could train 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time, or once for an hour, the former would be better...just, most people don't have that time.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 02:12:21 PM »
Strecthing as much as possible is good.  Morning stretching awakens your body.  Stretching in the morning is a reflex designed by nature to stimulate blood flow after your body has been dorment from sleeping.  As I said before nearly all mammals and animals in general stretch.  There is not one thing negative about stretching.  The only negative arises from doing it improperly.  For those who said they never stretch does that mean you never do fulls reps.  Cause you are stretching when doing a full rep.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 07:22:50 PM »
Actually onlyme maybe thats what has helped me never get injured.I may have never stretched but I have always gone through the entire ROM for each & every exercise that I doI have never been able to get into the mindset of not going to full lock out. Perosnally I feel my muscles have worked less if I don't use full range of motion.