Author Topic: Builder trying to rip me off for a 'free' quotation...any ideas?  (Read 7619 times)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Re: Builder trying to rip me off for a 'free' quotation...any ideas?
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
Thank god for the 29 second rule, could you imagine the sheer mass of posts 'Shakesknobs' could have written along with his complete works

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
Well this seems destined to escalate.  Consider talking to a lawyer before doing anything, even though it'll cost you.  DON'T respond to this guy.  Everytime you do you narrow your options.  For example, you can no longer claim that they didn't turn up at your request, weren't invited into the house, didn't provide an assessment as agreed, etc.  Of course it's bullshit but that's the legal system for you.

Don't go be the vengeful prankster, busting windows and slashing tyres.  It'll only inflame shit.  Circumstances don't call for going outside the bounds of the law at this stage.  If you handle it badly, it could become necessary.  'Mike' sounds like a bit of a miserable bastard with a chip on his shoulder and nothing better to do.  Don't let this guy put a chip on yours.  Your job here is to be rid of the drama, not to twist the knife.

I'd seek legal advice about letting it go to collections if that's how it goes and then refusing the claim as frivolous with someone who isn't taking it personally, or even heading off collections altogether in some way.  It'll cost mikey money to retain a debt collector, so even if he wants to play pitbull a well worded letter from your attorney explaining why he has no case and why continued harrassment is ill advised could help the guy come to his senses (or it'll make him fire back with his own lawyer).  Also legal advice about how and where to report the offence with maximum effect without opening yourself up to charges of slander and such, and how that would benefit your case later if it becomes a knock-down-drag-out.

I know I sound paranoid but this is one of those little things that big things come from.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
Thanks 'Bobby'.

Glad 'Bobs4Cocks' decided to interject into this conversation.  ::)  :D

Hahaha great work fellas!!  ;D ;D

The funny thing is when you accidentally do this to ppl in real life and they have no idea what the fuck just happened :D
tank u jesus

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »
Hahaha great work fellas!!  ;D ;D

The funny thing is when you accidentally do this to ppl in real life and they have no idea what the fuck just happened :D

I've incorporated it into my everyday ownings. It's especially a hit with my fraternity brothers. Lots of saying "Ok 'Jeff' " followed by rolling eyes and usually the obligatory jacking off the air hand movement

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »
I wouldn't even be exchanging emails with them either - they can now use your emails as evidence that a survey did happen. Whenever these things happen it is important to create no paper trail in any form. Likely they will just drop it anyway.

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
So my wife calls up a company called ABS Preservation UK, to take a look at some rising damp on our exterior wall. The woman she talks to says they will come round a do a 'free quote' for us...

Next day a bloke comes round (I'm at work) and within 10 minutes of taking a look at the problem gives my wife a quote of over a grand to fix it (massively overpriced).

Says thank you very much, we'll call you kind of thing. Next guys from another company comes and quotes £650 for same job so gets the deal (actually at my house doing it now lol)

Sooo.....just got a call from the Mrs to my office "Babe i've just received a quote for nearly £100 for the first guy who says it's a 'survey fee'?" (We actually had a surveyor come from our insurance company weeks ago for free so we didn't even need a survey lol).

I call the guy up, massively pissed off as i've been in 2 hours of traffic this morning! The conversation goes like this "Your secretary said it was a free quotation." "No we don't do free quotes"

"Well thats your problem to sort with your staff for giving out shit info"............"Bottom line mate is you need to pay the survey fee within 10 days or it's being reffered to a collections agency/bailiffs bla bla"

Me "No bottom line is mate, you're gonna have to come back to my house yourself and take that fucking 1'er out my pocket yourself you little c u nt"

Guy slams down the phone.

What next getbig??? I'm wondering if my phone provider can give me a transcript of the call to prove their incompentance.......
you cant charge for a free quote... tell him to suck a dick.....   
a

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 01:34:03 AM »
Thread update:

The guy came to my house yesterday afternoon, (even though I didn't reply to his last email) thinking that my wife would be home, as she told him I work out of town when he came to do the quote.

I work from home once a week, on thursdays - You should have fucking seen the look on his face when I open the door and say "Can I help you?" (I didn't know it was the guy, unmarked van) He just said "Erm is **** in, she called me about a damp survey" I clocked who the cvnt was and just stared at him, while leaning on the door frame (all 6ft, 235 pounds of me hahahaha) I wanted to say a lot of shit, but thought it would be funny just to stand there and ignore the guy..........after about 10 seconds of awkward silence he goes "sorry I think I got the wrong door mate, sorry to bother you" I didnt say a word just kept looking at him until he got in his van and drove away hahahahahahahaha

I'm guessing thats the end of that. Guy was about 50 y/o ffs

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2014, 03:07:23 AM »
Thread update:

The guy came to my house yesterday afternoon, (even though I didn't reply to his last email) thinking that my wife would be home, as she told him I work out of town when he came to do the quote.

I work from home once a week, on thursdays - You should have fucking seen the look on his face when I open the door and say "Can I help you?" (I didn't know it was the guy, unmarked van) He just said "Erm is **** in, she called me about a damp survey" I clocked who the girl was and just stared at him, while leaning on the door frame (all 6ft, 235 pounds of me hahahaha) I wanted to say a lot of shit, but thought it would be funny just to stand there and ignore the guy..........after about 10 seconds of awkward silence he goes "sorry I think I got the wrong door mate, sorry to bother you" I didnt say a word just kept looking at him until he got in his van and drove away hahahahahahahaha

I'm guessing thats the end of that. Guy was about 50 y/o ffs

Good job bro, getbig move all the way...

If he does happen to come back, let him find you dressed like this behind the door with an elephant gun;

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2014, 03:57:04 AM »
Hope he's of the 'better things to do' sort and the hard stare from the doorway will see it ended.  Lots of these guys don't consider things ended even after a stint in hospital or jail.  That's how the crew out of Dartford were that I worked with.

Emailing photos and a description of the problem is a better way to proceed next time around.  No one gets through the door, they don't need more address information than the suburb, and you get a chance to vet them by email and phone before they come around.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:15 AM »
Hope he's of the 'better things to do' sort and the hard stare from the doorway will see it ended.  Lots of these guys don't consider things ended even after a stint in hospital or jail.  That's how the crew out of Dartford were that I worked with.

Emailing photos and a description of the problem is a better way to proceed next time around.  No one gets through the door, they don't need more address information than the suburb, and you get a chance to vet them by email and phone before they come around.

Hopefully that would be the end of it,

Thanks for the pm though, solid advice that I will bear in mind with anything in the future - much appreciate the thought.

I think this cowboy was expecting some young skinny bloke that he could fleece that weekends drink from to be honest, if I hear anything else i'll pay my solicitor to send a letter (he is a family friend so would only charge me a silly amount to do this).

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2014, 05:50:21 AM »
Hopefully that would be the end of it,

Thanks for the pm though, solid advice that I will bear in mind with anything in the future - much appreciate the thought.

I think this cowboy was expecting some young skinny bloke that he could fleece that weekends drink from to be honest, if I hear anything else i'll pay my solicitor to send a letter (he is a family friend so would only charge me a silly amount to do this).

Mods, please ban this individual for posting that a PM had been sent.  ;D

He doesn't sound like a guy you'll find leaping out of the bushes but if you get a chance to talk to your bud, maybe check with him about property liens and other nasty tricks.  Some places in the US make it ridiculously easy, and I think they can even be lodged without someone's knowledge.  Your laws are probably more civilized.

If the damp fix doesn't take then shoot me a PM.  I have some no-shit-sherlock suggestions and am good at plaster and paint repairs.  Free quote.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2014, 05:58:57 AM »
Mods, please ban this individual for posting that a PM had been sent.  ;D

He doesn't sound like a guy you'll find leaping out of the bushes but if you get a chance to talk to your bud, maybe check with him about property liens and other nasty tricks.  Some places in the US make it ridiculously easy, and I think they can even be lodged without someone's knowledge.  Your laws are probably more civilized.

If the damp fix doesn't take then shoot me a PM.  I have some no-shit-sherlock suggestions and am good at plaster and paint repairs.  Free quote.

Hahaha 'free quote' - message saved for future litigation  ;D

On the damp note, the blokes have done a very thorough job, so this week i'll be re pointing the bottom bricks (as its an old property, a lot of mortar/brick surface got chipped off with the exterior render when they stripped it to find the damp course & inject)

I'm going to repoint the bottom 7 inches of the house, and paint over with a black rubber paint....I'm keeping 2" away from the damp course line, to prevent 'bridging' it, but can I bring the top plaster/render over the damp course (as in from the top of the house downwards) a couple of inches, into a bell curve/drip bead.

Hahaha epic u.k. slang no doubt

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »
Hahaha 'free quote' - message saved for future litigation  ;D

On the damp note, the blokes have done a very thorough job, so this week i'll be re pointing the bottom bricks (as its an old property, a lot of mortar/brick surface got chipped off with the exterior render when they stripped it to find the damp course & inject)

I'm going to repoint the bottom 7 inches of the house, and paint over with a black rubber paint....I'm keeping 2" away from the damp course line, to prevent 'bridging' it, but can I bring the top plaster/render over the damp course (as in from the top of the house downwards) a couple of inches, into a bell curve/drip bead.

Hahaha epic u.k. slang no doubt

In all likelihood you've got portland cement mortar and render, but if your place is old enough it may have a straight lime or hydraulic lime mortar and render.  Lots of places in the UK do.  Old bricks were softer than modern ones and portland cement will fail and cause spalling damage, so work out what the existing stuff is before you put new stuff on.  Lime/sand is a PITA and will take weeks instead of hours (just sitting on the wall, not actual working time).  Wet the area thoroughly, then let the water sheen drink in, before applying.  Overly thirsty surfaces/mortar joints are no good.  Jumbo tube calking guns are great for repointing (make sure to rake out loose mortar), but if you're rendering right across there's no need to be clean.

Tbh, I question why they bolstered off the render.  I would have simply drilled and injected, but I've never done a damp fix.  I remember reading something about the molecular size of siloxane vs silicone, and spread through capilary passages in brick & mortar concrete.  It travels like crazy, but there's lots of polymers that get used too, I think, and cost way less than siloxane, so hard to say what they used.  I trust it was injected, not just surface applied.  

I question putting on a bituminous coating.  It'll do as much to seal out moisture as to seal it in.  If water is coming up from the bottom rather than in from the side...idk.  You'll also have bond issues with putting a simple sand/cement or sand/lime render over it, if that's what you mean (tar to pointed brick & render over).

I would use ethylene vinyl acetate in the [appropriate] pointing and render mix at 10% by total mix volume.  It has excellent bond, waterproofing, and rheological (troweling) properties, no shit.  You may see it in the hardware as exterior grade wood glue, abbreviated EVA.  (Don't use interior grade PVA plyvinyl acetate, aka bondcrete, which re-softens with water.)  I'd post you some dry but it's a white powder, lol.  I'd up the % if going over cured rubber paint and test a spot before doing the lot.

More than anything, I'd work out where the water was coming from.  If it's bad gutter fall, a full soakwell, a fucking artesian, etc.  I might also hold off on the full repairs until you can gauge the effectiveness of the damp fix.  If problems persist after you render you'll never know if it's the newly applied render drinking up and feeding through the brick around their fix (clearly it was coming through to the inside?) or the same old brick drinking from whatever source.  And if you're not happy they can do more work without fucking up your new troweling.

Who loves his typing!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:05 AM »
Tldr: I wouldn't tank the outside of the house with rubber paint.  All masonry is porous and exterior waterproofing will direct water inside rather than letting it evaporate to the outside, which is the principle of masonry construction.  Especially if it's a non-cavity wall, I'd get some second opinions before proceeding.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »
Tldr: I wouldn't tank the outside of the house with rubber paint.  All masonry is porous and exterior waterproofing will direct water inside rather than letting it evaporate to the outside, which is the principle of masonry construction.  Especially if it's a non-cavity wall, I'd get some second opinions before proceeding.

Thanks for the detailed post, very handy. I think i'll give the bitumen paint a miss then....makes perfect sense that any moisture coming up through the foundation would be forced into my interior plaster

Re the pointing, i'll be mixing a basic 3:1 sand/cement & waterproofer and sorting out all the holes. After that it will be a render on top so bricks don't need to look pretty.

Maybe i'll get 'Mike' round to do a free survey on my work afterwards  ;D

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »
Would you like me to pay them a visit and talk to them a little? I'll bring Galeniko with me.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »
Would you like me to pay them a visit and talk to them a little? I'll bring Galeniko with me.

Wouldn't he want someone muscular as well to go with Galeniko though?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2014, 07:52:11 AM »
Thanks for the detailed post, very handy. I think i'll give the bitumen paint a miss then....makes perfect sense that any moisture coming up through the foundation would be forced into my interior plaster

Re the pointing, i'll be mixing a basic 3:1 sand/cement & waterproofer and sorting out all the holes. After that it will be a render on top so bricks don't need to look pretty.

Maybe i'll get 'Mike' round to do a free survey on my work afterwards  ;D

You could do it all in one go.  Squash it right in to the mortar joints, let it dewater for a few minutes, and then render straight over.  The thickness of the render build will make it more prone to shrinkage cracking than the mortar joints behind.  Some hydrated lime will aid plasticity.  If they left damp treatment on the surface of the brick, I don't know what that'll do to bond.

Plastering is messy.  Mask a lot.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »

Good point, i'll send round dj181 to scare away all the crows in his front garden and then when 'Mike' runs upstairs to find Gal banging his wife in her favourite stockings, you can jump out the wardrobe with a syringe full of Tbombz blood and force him to call off the invoice

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
You'd pay me compliments in person right now  ;)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
You'd pay me compliments in person right now  ;)

Haha id buy you a beer and discuss lizards, no doubt.  8)

Ace

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »
Good point, i'll send round dj181 to scare away all the crows in his front garden and then when 'Mike' runs upstairs to find Gal banging his wife in her favourite stockings, you can jump out the wardrobe with a syringe full of Tbombz blood and force him to call off the invoice

heee heee heee heee

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2014, 11:28:49 AM »

Ace

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »