Author Topic: Cutting diet putting me in a coma  (Read 3919 times)

sgtslahter

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Cutting diet putting me in a coma
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:04:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the board.  I've been working out consistently for the past 6 months, but finally decided to follow a diet for the new year.  I'm 26, 6'4" 200 lbs, always been skinny, but the years of beer drinking and not caring what I ate left me with a little extra fat in the stomach area.  So my goal is to get rid of that first and then add the bulk.  For the past week I've been following the sample cutting diet and I think I'm seeing a difference already.  I've been eating 5-6 meals instead of 6-7, and have been sure to make sure I'm getting around 250 grams of protein a day.  However, if anything, I've been eating too few carbs and fat, as I'm still getting used to incorporating yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice etc.  I also am taking creatine.  Anyway, just a few days into the diet I find that my sleep has turned into a coma-like experience.  I simply cannot get out of bed until sleeping for at least 8-9 hours.  I used to be fine with 6-7, but last night I went to bed at 2 am and didn't wake up today until 11:30, and only then because my roommate woke me up.  I lift 4 days a week and do 30 min of cardio 6 days.  Basically what I want to know is if this is normal, and if it is just my body adjusting to the new diet or if this is a longterm effect of the diet.  Thanks in advance, lots of great information here!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Cutting diet putting me in a coma
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 01:26:22 PM »
dunno. maybe youre current diet and training makes you more tired and you need a little more sleep. 8 hours is normal for most people so that's not a bad thing in my opinion.
and you should drop the creatine, you'll lose a few pounds on that alone.
Z

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:08:01 PM »
Yes drop the creatine, you really don't need it if you are cutting.  As for the reason that you are requiring more sleep if probably not you diet, but due to the fact you have started training.  Your body is now require more rest than normal until it gets use to these work outs.  As for the hard sleeping, that is a good thing, when you are in your deepest sleep that it when you body recovers, releases growth hormone, and testosterone.  The only thing that concerns me is that you are dragging ass when you wake up you might not be getting enough deep sleep.  Also 8 hours is optimal for recover, but 9 is better.  I would not get less than 7-8hours if I could help it.

The Jackel
Get Big  Stay Big

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:34:36 PM »
Carb up every now and again.
:-)

sgtslahter

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to keep on it and see if my body adjusts... approx how many carbs should i be shooting for?

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 08:18:18 AM »
How much do you normally eat? What's your metabolism like?  Could be anywhere from 100-250 g per day.  Also, how much fat/protein do you eat?

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 08:27:24 AM »
Just as a NO JOKE warning, I have seen bodybuilders push carbs so low there are health risks.  I knew this guy that was being trained by a future pro for the Cal. and was cutting to 154, he passed out at the gym more than one time. Saw him years later at 180ish, looked fantastic and said he would never be so light again.

sgtslahter

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 04:35:07 PM »
How much do you normally eat? What's your metabolism like?  Could be anywhere from 100-250 g per day.  Also, how much fat/protein do you eat?

Since starting the new diet I've been in the 200-250 grams protein range, 40-50 grams fat, and approx 175-225 grams carbs.  Prior to that (the last 2 weeks) I just ate whatever I wanted, my metabolism is pretty fast so no visible fat except for the 2 extra inches on my waist I'm looking to shed.  I've been feeling much better the past few days after eating a few more carbs, just trying to find the balance between no feeling like a zombie and getting cut.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:37:19 PM »
Since starting the new diet I've been in the 200-250 grams protein range, 40-50 grams fat, and approx 175-225 grams carbs.  Prior to that (the last 2 weeks) I just ate whatever I wanted, my metabolism is pretty fast so no visible fat except for the 2 extra inches on my waist I'm looking to shed.  I've been feeling much better the past few days after eating a few more carbs, just trying to find the balance between no feeling like a zombie and getting cut.

wow you feel like a zombie on that diet??? maybe you need more vitamins/minerals and veggies and such.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 03:57:35 AM »
I think your diet looks like shit. You're getting in around 2200 calories per day, at the most.

And this when you're trying to train and shit.

I suggest stick with the same kind of diet, but make one change. Add a big postworkout shake. It should be around 130-150 grams of fast carbs in it. Add plenty of water. I suspect you're already drinking protein postworkout, if so, then add these carbs to that drink. If not, have around 20-30 grams of protein with this drink, and optional 3-5 grams of creatine. Put half a TEA spoon of salt in it too. Drink plenty of water.

On days when you're not training, make sure to eat more. I suggest dropping the protein intake to around 150-175 grams, and upping your carbs (you really eat very good carbs) to around 300 on off days.

This will help you cut fat, while keeping the muscles fairly full.

Note on your choice of carbs: It looks like you got it all figured out, post workout however, should be fast carbs, the ideal is a mix of 50/50 dextrose and maltodextrin, but either of these two will be very good on its own.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 04:27:16 AM »

Sorry,
but your a fool, and quite a big one ;D

You started your post with the fact that you got a little tummy by drinking loads of beer. And now your claiming that a very fast metabolism, and almost no visible fat? You kneed a shrink, not a diet.

You already raised the amount of carbohydrates, thats a good thing. Drop alchohol, that doesn't need any kind off explenation I assume. Furtherthemore, do some serious cardio, you should loose that bit of fat in an instant.
Also start directly with weighttraining. 200 lbs on a 6'4" isn't much at all. You should weigth around 220~250 lbs.

Drop the diet-idea, if you have a fast metabolism (you're a ectomorph) just eat as much as you want, but keep it clean.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 05:16:55 AM »
Sorry,
but your a fool, and quite a big one ;D

You started your post with the fact that you got a little tummy by drinking loads of beer. And now your claiming that a very fast metabolism, and almost no visible fat? You kneed a shrink, not a diet.

You already raised the amount of carbohydrates, thats a good thing. Drop alchohol, that doesn't need any kind off explenation I assume. Furtherthemore, do some serious cardio, you should loose that bit of fat in an instant.
Also start directly with weighttraining. 200 lbs on a 6'4" isn't much at all. You should weigth around 220~250 lbs.

Drop the diet-idea, if you have a fast metabolism (you're a ectomorph) just eat as much as you want, but keep it clean.

I was under the impression that this bloke was doing weight training?

Hopefully he is. That's the way he's gonna get cut.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Tigerman

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 10:18:36 PM »
A thing that many people should understand is to cut calories GRADUALLY. Otherwise the body adapts quickly to the new regime and you start experiencing plateaus, you stop losing fat and you start losing muscle.
I have a slow metabolism but last year i have been able to drop 20 pounds (mostly fat) in 3 months, without sufferingt, staying healthy and training with motivation. Another "secret" is consistency but not renouncing to some cheat days.