Author Topic: Army study to determine how women will be deemed fit to join the front lines  (Read 10877 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Army study to determine how women will be deemed fit to join the front lines
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
First female Marine in history to graduate infantry training course
Fox News

A female Marine is set to make history next week as the first woman ever to graduate from the Marine Corps' demanding Infantry Officer Course.

The woman, who wasn’t immediately identified, will be the first female to graduate from the course in the Corps' 241 years of service. She completed the requirements of an exhausting 13-week program and will graduate at Marine Corps Base Quantico on Sept. 25, a Marine Corps spokesperson told Fox News Thursday.

The officer is the first woman to pass the course, The Washington Post reported, noting that more than 30 women have attempted the course.

The program "trains and educates newly selected infantry and ground intelligence officers in leadership, infantry skills, and character required to serve as infantry platoon commanders in the operating forces," the spokesperson said.

The officer will likely lead a platoon of around 40 infantry Marines, according to the Post.

MARINES EYE PLAN TO PUT WOMEN IN WEST COAST COMBAT TRAINING

Former Defense Secretary Ash Carter ordered the military in 2015 to open all combat jobs to women, after former Marine Corps commandant and Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford argued that the military branch be allowed to exclude women from certain front-line jobs.

As part of his argument, Dunford cited studies that showed mixed-gender units aren't as capable as all-male units.

The course includes trekking between nearly six and nine miles while carrying loads of up to 152 pounds, Task and Purpose reported, and is considered one of the toughest Marine Corps training courses.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/21/first-female-marine-in-history-to-graduate-infantry-training-course.html

Top Poodle

• Getbig IV
  • No trannies allowed.
Re: Army study to determine how women will be deemed fit to join the front lines
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
i dont want women in my army

wtf

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:07 PM »
First female Marine in history to graduate infantry training course
Fox News

A female Marine is set to make history next week as the first woman ever to graduate from the Marine Corps' demanding Infantry Officer Course.

The woman, who wasn’t immediately identified, will be the first female to graduate from the course in the Corps' 241 years of service. She completed the requirements of an exhausting 13-week program and will graduate at Marine Corps Base Quantico on Sept. 25, a Marine Corps spokesperson told Fox News Thursday.

The officer is the first woman to pass the course, The Washington Post reported, noting that more than 30 women have attempted the course.

The program "trains and educates newly selected infantry and ground intelligence officers in leadership, infantry skills, and character required to serve as infantry platoon commanders in the operating forces," the spokesperson said.

The officer will likely lead a platoon of around 40 infantry Marines, according to the Post.

MARINES EYE PLAN TO PUT WOMEN IN WEST COAST COMBAT TRAINING

Former Defense Secretary Ash Carter ordered the military in 2015 to open all combat jobs to women, after former Marine Corps commandant and Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford argued that the military branch be allowed to exclude women from certain front-line jobs.

As part of his argument, Dunford cited studies that showed mixed-gender units aren't as capable as all-male units.

The course includes trekking between nearly six and nine miles while carrying loads of up to 152 pounds, Task and Purpose reported, and is considered one of the toughest Marine Corps training courses.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/21/first-female-marine-in-history-to-graduate-infantry-training-course.html

Did she have to meet the same (not lowered) standards and did she get the exact same treatment as everyone else?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Did she have to meet the same (not lowered) standards and did she get the exact same treatment as everyone else?

Pretty sure it was the same standards.  That's why she's the only one. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Respect.

6 Bragg Women Become First in Army to Earn Expert Infantryman Badge

A soldier wears the Expert Infantry Badge after completing all the requirements. Nathan Maysonet/Air Force
The Fayetteville Observer, N.C. 24 Jan 2018
By Amanda Dolasinski

Women quietly broke through barriers last fall when they became the first in the Army to earn the prestigious Expert Infantryman Badge at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

The badge, which was created in the 1940s, only recently opened to women when the Department of Defense struck down regulations that prevented them from serving in infantry jobs.

The women earned the badge during testing with hundreds of male candidates in November -- about two years after infantry jobs opened to women.

"This historic achievement is a reminder of the great things we can achieve when women are seen and treated as equals and given the same chance to contribute to their country," U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth said in a statement. The Democrat from Illinois was among the first Army women to fly combat missions during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

In 2004, Duckworth was deployed to Iraq as a Black Hawk pilot for the Illinois Army National Guard when it was struck down by a rocket-propelled grenade. She lost her legs and partial use of her right arm.

"These six incredible women prove exactly why the Department of Defense was right to allow women to serve in all military roles, an action that was long overdue," she said. "Remember, women have served attached to infantry units for decades without being formally assigned to the unit -- so even when they meet the requirements, they technically could not earn the EIB until now."

Through a spokesman for the 82nd Airborne Division, all six women who earned the badge declined to talk about their achievement or the significance of the badge. The division did not name the women.

Division leaders declined interview requests for this story.

Earning the Badge

To earn the Expert Infantryman Badge, a soldier must successfully complete 30 tasks that prove mastery infantry skills. If a soldier makes three errors, he or she fails and must wait one year to try again.

At Fort Bragg, soldiers were tested on weapons proficiency and medical and patrol skills.

Soldiers assembled the Carl Gustav recoilless rifle, claymore mine, Javelin and AK-47 weapons systems. Among medical tasks, they performed first aid for a suspected fracture, open head wound, open abdominal wound and burns. In the patrol lane, soldiers decontaminated themselves and equipment, identified terrain features on a map and applied camouflage.

The testing takes place over several days, during the day and at night.

Of the 1,000 candidates who tested for the badge at Fort Bragg in November, 287 earned it. The candidates came from Fort Bragg, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, 18th Airborne Corps and units at Fort Stewart, Georgia.

Traditionally, only about 18 percent of all candidates who test for the badge earn it.

Testing for the Expert Infantryman Badge is conducted at several installations each year. Standards for the test are set by the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia.

A 'Soldier Skill'

As women became eligible for infantry jobs, Command Sgt. Maj. Martin Celestine said there was never skepticism that women wouldn't be strong enough or trained well enough to test for the badge.

"No, there was no doubt," said Celestine, command sergeant major of the Infantry School. "I've deployed multiple times, and I've been side-by-side with women. When we talk about technical competency, it's not about 'man or woman.' This is a soldier skill. We're all one team here."

Col. Townley Hedrick, deputy commandant for the school, said the Army's training has set women up for success, just like the men who have been training in those jobs for decades. He said he expected women to earn the badge.

"Women are going through infantry basic training," he said. "They're going through operations. We expect them to go through it and earn it just like a man."

Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend, who recently left command of the 18th Airborne Corps, said the corps and overall Army readiness has been strengthened as women integrate into combat arms jobs.

"Army forces must possess the capabilities -- and be prepared to fight across multiple domains and through contested areas -- to deter potential adversaries, and should deterrence fail, rapidly defeat them," he said. "As the Army shapes the future force, we will ensure that every individual has the opportunity to maximize his or her potential."

The achievement has fueled the passion for Jakhira Blue, a 17-year-old 2017 graduate of North Johnston High School, who had been planning to enlist in the Army as airborne infantry. She will head to Fort Benning for training in March.

She knows she'll be in the minority in infantry training since the jobs opened to women. It doesn't matter, she said.

"It's going to make me push myself harder," she said. "I want to show everybody I can do it."

___

This article is written by Amanda Dolasinski from The Fayetteville Observer, N.C. and was legally licensed via the Tribune Content Agency through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/01/24/6-bragg-women-become-first-army-earn-expert-infantryman-badge.html?ESRC=army-a_180124.nl

mazrim

• Getbig V
I'm oldschool in that I don't like the idea of women on the frontline, etc. but if they are going to do it it is good that they are keeping the same standards for all.

There was a show on the history channel of some camp that is led by former seals, etc. Actually very realistic/hardcore. Not like some of the fake reality shows that say they are duplicating it. They would keep these people in super small boxes for hours on end and all sorts of other very challenging activities/drills. People would sign up and most would drop out. Not many make it to the end. A lady made it to the the top 6 or 8 during that camp and it was most certainly very difficult to get that far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I'm oldschool in that I don't like the idea of women on the frontline, etc. but if they are going to do it it is good that they are keeping the same standards for all.

There was a show on the history channel of some camp that is led by former seals, etc. Actually very realistic/hardcore. Not like some of the fake reality shows that say they are duplicating it. They would keep these people in super small boxes for hours on end and all sorts of other very challenging activities/drills. People would sign up and most would drop out. Not many make it to the end. A lady made it to the the top 6 or 8 during that camp and it was most certainly very difficult to get that far.

I agree.  Don't particularly like the idea, but if they are going to do it, the standards should be the same for everybody. 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
I agree.  Don't particularly like the idea, but if they are going to do it, the standards should be the same for everybody. 

Exactly right.
Well said.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
12 Female Soldiers Have Now Graduated Army Ranger School

From left, U.S. Army Capt. Kristen Griest, Maj. Lisa Jaster and 1st Lt. Shaye Haver share a moment following Jaster's graduation from Ranger School on Fort Benning, Ga., Oct. 16, 2015. (U.S. Army/Staff Sgt. Alex Manne/ Released)

Military.com 9 Apr 2018
By Matthew Cox

The U.S. Army's vice chief of staff praised the achievements of female soldiers Monday, describing how small numbers of women continue to join infantry and armored combat units and graduate from the service's most grueling training course.

"Ten women have graduated from Ranger School, which is our toughest school. We have a woman commanding a company in the 82nd Airborne Division, an infantry company," Gen. James McConville told an audience at the Future of War 2018 conference sponsored by New America and Arizona State University.

The general's count did not include two women who graduated from Ranger School on Friday, bringing the total to 12, officials said Tuesday.

It's been five years since former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta lifted a ban on women serving in combat roles. Three years ago, the Army launched a historic effort to open Ranger School to female applicants.

Out of the 19 women who originally volunteered in April 2015, Capt. Kristen Griest and 1st Lt. Shaye Haver became the first women to earn the coveted Ranger Tab that August. A third woman graduated that October.

They accomplished a hard-won feat that has eluded many male soldiers since the course was founded in 1952. Ranger School is a 62-day course described as the Army's premier infantry leadership course; an ordeal that pushes students to their physical and mental limits.

On average, only about 40 percent of men successfully complete the course, Army officials maintain. And only about 25 percent of Ranger School students graduate without having to repeat at least one phase of the grueling course.

"We have 170,000 women serving in the Army -- 170,000, that is almost the size of the Marine Corps," McConville said. "We have women in every single infantry, armor and artillery battalion and every single brigade combat team in the Army."

The Army currently has 600 women in infantry and armor jobs, McConville said.

Initially, female officers who completed the training standards for infantry and armor were sent to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and Fort Hood, Texas. The Army is expanding that policy to include installations such as Fort Campbell, Kentucky ,and Fort Carson, Colorado, McConville said at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force Symposium in March.

"If you meet the standards, you can serve anywhere you want in the United States Army," he said at AUSA. "Women are meeting the standards, and they are doing well."

-- Editor's Note: This story has been updated to show that 12 women have graduated from Ranger School.

https://www.military.com/daily-guy-school.html

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I'm all for it. I think they either need to be on the front lines or working at a reduced rate. When I was in, we were all paid the same. Male, female, it was all based on rank and seniority. But men were being sent off to the jungles for training and the desert for fighting and the females stayed back. If you want equal rights, equal pay equal respect, put up or shut up. If you can't meet the standards, you shouldn't be making the same pay

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Bum started thread thread by shitting on the military by assuming they would be lowering their standards to allow women to qualify

Translation:  Army to figure out how to lower strength and fitness standards so more females can work in combat arms jobs.

Army study to determine how women will be deemed fit to join the front lines

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I'm all for it. I think they either need to be on the front lines or working at a reduced rate. When I was in, we were all paid the same. Male, female, it was all based on rank and seniority. But men were being sent off to the jungles for training and the desert for fighting and the females stayed back. If you want equal rights, equal pay equal respect, put up or shut up. If you can't meet the standards, you shouldn't be making the same pay

True.  I said that about professional tennis when they raised the prize money for women to be equal to men, but didn't increase the number of sets.  Women still win best 2 of 3, while men win 3 of 5.  Anyone who opposed it was crucified. 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
I'm all for it. I think they either need to be on the front lines or working at a reduced rate. When I was in, we were all paid the same. Male, female, it was all based on rank and seniority. But men were being sent off to the jungles for training and the desert for fighting and the females stayed back.

If you want equal rights, equal pay equal respect, put up or shut up.
If you can't meet the standards, you shouldn't be making the same pay

True.  I said that about professional tennis when they raised the prize money for women to be equal to men, but didn't increase the number of sets.  Women still win best 2 of 3, while men win 3 of 5.  Anyone who opposed it was crucified. 

Both very good & exactly right

Stop lowering standards to allow sub par people in
It’s absolute nonsense all this pandering to each
And every different demograph
You’re either good enough or you’re not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Both very good & exactly right

Stop lowering standards to allow sub par people in
It’s absolute nonsense all this pandering to each
And every different demograph
You’re either good enough or you’re not.

Also, I want to say there is a Mother Nature factor, because men on average are stronger and faster than women, but in today's world science doesn't matter.  You can choose to be whatever gender you want to be, regardless of biology. 

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden

I recall some male pro ranked out of the top 100 beat both Williams sisters on the same day.

There's a continual push for female professional cyclists to be paid as much as men.  When women can do what men do - compete against and beat other men - then they deserve the same money.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
I recall some male pro ranked out of the top 100 beat both Williams sisters on the same day.

There's a continual push for female professional cyclists to be paid as much as men.  When women can do what men do - compete against and beat other men - then they deserve the same money.

Indeed:

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park, after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun". Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.