Author Topic: GOP’s “religious liberty” scam just died: Why Brewer’s veto is so momentous  (Read 4184 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Yet you will rarely see a liberal criticize Islamic culture.  There is a huge gap between refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding and hanging gays from tall buildings.  You can always choose another baker.

True.  I was talking to a group of liberals once who were very critical of the Family Research Council, calling it a "virulently anti-gay" organization.  In the next breath, they were defending Islam.  Not very logical.  

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
True.  I was talking to a group of liberals once who were very critical of the Family Research Council, calling it a "virulently anti-gay" organization.  In the next breath, they were defending Islam.  Not very logical.  

It's not only illogical but morally inconsistent.

RRKore

• Getbig IV

You know, after a little thought, I only buy the argument that these liberals were being illogical if these people were defending Islam's anti-gay actions/policies.

Do you understand what I mean?

Do you recall what they were defending Islam against?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You know, after a little thought, I only buy the argument that these liberals were being illogical if these people were defending Islam's anti-gay actions/policies.

Do you understand what I mean?

Do you recall what they were defending Islam against?

They were expressing support for Muslims in general.  This same group has often defended Muslims, while being quick to criticize Christian groups, especially groups who support traditional marriage.  I actually pointed out to them exactly what StreetSoldier said about Muslims killing homosexuals.  Cannot get more anti-gay than that. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

It doesn't matter.

Since Islam, like Christianity, views homosexuality as a sin. That is a fundamental belief/doctrine in both religions.

The idea that someone can be a muslim or christian and still support the gay lifestyle or accept gay "marriage" or "unions" is only normal within the political arena. For example, Piglosi claims she is catholic, yet supports abortions. The crapinthewhitehouse claims he is a Christian, yet approves and supports every lifestyle and various sins rejected by his professed religion.

If a person is against Christianity, it makes no sense whatsoever for that person to then turn around and support Islam.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
It doesn't matter.

If a person is against Christianity, it makes no sense whatsoever for that person to then turn around and support Islam.

Sure it matters, D73.

Look, I'm "against" most of your opinions but I'd also defend your right to say whatever you want.  Frankly, I'd defend you if someone was kicking your ass in the street, too.

I don't see the contradiction here.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
Sure it matters, D73.

Look, I'm "against" most of your opinions but I'd also defend your right to say whatever you want.  Frankly, I'd defend you if someone was kicking your ass in the street, too.

I don't see the contradiction here.

A person who is offended by what Christianity teaches should automatically be offended by Islam if they want to be morally consistent.  The repugnant portion of Christianity are also present in Islam.   It's possible to enjoy the company of a person who happens to be Muslim, or Christianity for that matter, and find their religion completely barbaric.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
A person who is offended by what Christianity teaches should automatically be offended by Islam if they want to be morally consistent.  The repugnant portion of Christianity are also present in Islam.   It's possible to enjoy the company of a person who happens to be Muslim, or Christianity for that matter, and find their religion completely barbaric.

Exactly. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV

Totally agree.  But to be offended by some of the beliefs of some group does not mean you can't righteously defend that group about an unrelated subject or belief.

Actually, even if it's the same belief, I'm not sure how morally inconsistent it would be:  For instance, is it wrong to not have a problem with the neighbor's kid for being gay but to not want your own son to be gay? 

I'm not so sure that the only valid way to think is to have the same expectations/standards for all people.  Some folks honestly just don't know any better.  It's worth thinking about, I think.

BTW, SS4U, can you send me that link about Muslims taxing (or killing or converting) non-Muslims again?  I finally have time to read about it but can't remember which thread it was in.   Thanks.