Author Topic: GOP’s “religious liberty” scam just died: Why Brewer’s veto is so momentous  (Read 4183 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Once upon a time, the right thought it could push its agenda behind claim of religious freedom. Those days are over

BRIAN BEUTLER 

Back in 2012, a full two years before conservatives insisted that religious freedom entailed the right to discriminate against gay people or gay spouses in both private and public workplaces, Republicans in Washington trotted out the same religious liberty line for the arguably narrower purpose of defending religious employers who wanted to be exempt from the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate.

That effort ultimately ran aground, both because the issue became the domain of the courts, but also because it ended up inviting a bunch of retrograde public pronouncements from conservatives about birth control and reproductive rights that ultimately dwarfed whatever political advantage Republicans hoped to gain by positioning themselves as tribunes for the religiously devout.

But for that ancillary damage, conservatives of all stripes really did seem to think that they’d gotten the framing right, and could apply it generously to future culture war battles.

The events of the past week have been especially fascinating in light of that history. The effort to apply the same religious freedom argument to anti-gay measures in states across the country has encountered tremendous resistance, not just from liberals but from business leaders, state-wide Republican elected officials, and GOP celebrities who, for different reasons, seem to get that stomping away from a growing majority of the population with a middle finger hoisted overhead isn’t a smart thing to do.

more
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/27/gops_religious_liberty_scam_just_died_why_brewers_veto_is_so_momentous/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Because the law on the books was already better then this law.....momentous.... ::)
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Because the law on the books was already better then this law.....momentous.... ::)

people saw it for what it was,outside pressure was tooo great.the people are not going to buy the religious reason no more  8)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
I don't know who "people" are.  The law was poorly written and actually narrowed what was already on the books in AZ. The hysteria by gays made this worse then it was. The Constitution is very clear on both equal protection and religious freedom. This isn't about religious beliefs its about getting sued because of those beliefs. This went beyond selling somebody something like a pack of gum. The cake was a symbol of deeply held religious ceremony to these people. They choose to put their religious beliefs over economic concerns. That should have been the end of it. The government should not be involved in this. If this was a muslim bakery refusing to sell to either gays or Christians...not a peep would be heard.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
You leftists must not do much, collect anything, travel anywhere, have hobbies...because u all love having uncle sugar restrict everything in your lives. Obama does whatever the fuck he wants, refuses to enforce laws...and its all ok with you.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I don't know who "people" are.  The law was poorly written and actually narrowed what was already on the books in AZ. The hysteria by gays made this worse then it was. The Constitution is very clear on both equal protection and religious freedom. This isn't about religious beliefs its about getting sued because of those beliefs. This went beyond selling somebody something like a pack of gum. The cake was a symbol of deeply held religious ceremony to these people. They choose to put their religious beliefs over economic concerns. That should have been the end of it. The government should not be involved in this. If this was a muslim bakery refusing to sell to either gays or Christians...not a peep would be heard.

well of coarse it was poorly written,it was a law for bigoted views hidden behind religion

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
I'll make sure you have a spot on the caretaker staff when I'm given control of the camps.  ;D
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I'll make sure you have a spot on the caretaker staff when I'm given control of the camps.  ;D
thank you  :)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Interesting discussion between CNN's Chris Cuomo and Catholic League President Bill Donohue about religious vs gay rights.

Not sure how Donohue got forced into the positon of having to take the position that marriage isn't about love.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica

You're very right in this statement.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
Obama does whatever the fuck he wants, refuses to enforce laws...and its all ok with you.
yup. that's why we voted for him. and Prez Bill and Hillary will be wonderful at it, too.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
yup. that's why we voted for him. and Prez Bill and Hillary will be wonderful at it, too.

Funny - when W even acted remotely like that the liberal commies freaked out

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Funny - when W even acted remotely like that the liberal commies freaked out

"Remotely"?  Your understanding of "remotely" rivals your understanding of "typical" apparently.

Obama, like Bush before him, seems to be pushing the limits of executive branch powers, sure. 

I don't think anyone in Obama's administration, however, is saying shit like "We are creating our own reality". 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i haven't watched the news in a month.  what happened?  repub governor vetoed a bill that the elected representatives of the state wanted?  she caved to liberal pressure?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
i haven't watched the news in a month.  what happened?  repub governor vetoed a bill that the elected representatives of the state wanted?  she caved to liberal pressure?
She vetoed it because business didn't want it

240 is Back

• Getbig V
She vetoed it because business didn't want it

So she allows "big business" to override the wishes of the people? 

I mean, the people of AZ elected repubs to office and repubs to be governor.  They enact a conservative piece of legislation, for their conservative constituency...

And the repub governor is intimidated by libs in "business" into bending over for them?

Sheesh... Whether or not I agree with the bill is irrelevant... what I see here is a Repub Gov being slave to big business, and not to the wishes of the people of her state.  Right?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
So she allows "big business" to override the wishes of the people? 

I mean, the people of AZ elected repubs to office and repubs to be governor.  They enact a conservative piece of legislation, for their conservative constituency...

And the repub governor is intimidated by libs in "business" into bending over for them?

Sheesh... Whether or not I agree with the bill is irrelevant... what I see here is a Repub Gov being slave to big business, and not to the wishes of the people of her state.  Right?

Don't forget that the "wishes of the people" thing only goes so far without a constitutional amendment.  If it didn't, you'd likely still have slavery in places like South Carolina...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Don't forget that the "wishes of the people" thing only goes so far without a constitutional amendment.  If it didn't, you'd likely still have slavery in places like South Carolina...

hmm, good point there. 

Tough situation here.   Gov Brewer had to compromise and cede to the wishes of the libs,  She did. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
hmm, good point there. 

Tough situation here.   Gov Brewer had to compromise and cede to the wishes of the libs,  She did. 
she supports big biddness. pure capitalism at work!  ;D
w

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
A simple solution is define the difference between providing a service to individuals and doing something that is against your values.  For example, if a gay couple comes into your store to buy a birthday cake the purchase of the cake isn't in conflict with ones values.  However if they want to hire you to provide a cake for a gay wedding it would be indirect conflict with ones values.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
A simple solution is define the difference between providing a service to individuals and doing something that is against your values.  For example, if a gay couple comes into your store to buy a birthday cake the purchase of the cake isn't in conflict with ones values.  However if they want to hire you to provide a cake for a gay wedding it would be indirect conflict with ones values.

I see your point. But, what happened to having the right to refuse service to anyone you want? If you don't like it, boycott. Simple as that, if you want to show your displeasure with a business, then take it somewhere else. People are fucking babies. I deny business/quoting all the time, but if I decided to do it for some other reason than money, I'm wrong?