Author Topic: Bryan vs HHH Really??!!  (Read 15024 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Bryan vs HHH Really??!!
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
damn I miss the Austin, Rock, DX, Foley days :-(

I miss anything pre-2002.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
If WWE is smart they will have a stipulation of some sort where if DB wins he gets to be involved in the main ev ent for the title or the place will riot.

That's what they did. Helmsley vs. Bryan....winner gets added to title match.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 03:25:35 AM »
That final spot on Raw this week with Daniel Bryan in handcuffs was one of the better, more edgier spots that I have seen in a longtime. It added some heat to the angle but its still gonna be hard to get the fans into the match at WM given the stipulation. BTW, Triple H was looking more jacked than he ever has, wonder if the "talent wellness program" applies to him...

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 06:36:05 AM »
That final spot on Raw this week with Daniel Bryan in handcuffs was one of the better, more edgier spots that I have seen in a longtime. It added some heat to the angle but its still gonna be hard to get the fans into the match at WM given the stipulation. BTW, Triple H was looking more jacked than he ever has, wonder if the "talent wellness program" applies to him...

I agree it was good.  To me it would have been a little better and given Steph HHH more heat if Bryan's Bella chick came down and pleaded for them to stop and steph held her back and made her watch.

As far as Triple H's physique,  look at 2002 triple h. He was massive.  I'm pretty sure the wellness program is still in effect.  There's a huge difference in him now and then.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 06:44:47 AM »
As far as Triple H's physique,  look at 2002 triple h. He was massive.  I'm pretty sure the wellness program is still in effect.  There's a huge difference in him now and then.

He's also 12 years older. I suspect he's still using, but his body simply doesn't respond the same as it did when he was younger.

My friend's buddy is on the current WWE roster. He's admitted that certain guys are given an FYI before drug testing so that they can "conveniently" miss their flight to that show, etc.

If that is the case, then I can easily see the boss's son-in-law getting a total pardon. Hell, in the 80's, Hogan's piss test results were sent DIRECTLY to the old man's office for a time. Drug testing has ALWAYS been selective in the WWF.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »

I agree it was good.  To me it would have been a little better and given Steph HHH more heat if Bryan's Bella chick came down and pleaded for them to stop and steph held her back and made her watch.

On the whole though, the average size and muscularity has greatly decreased since the stricter drug enforcement policy came in. Just look at the likes of Orton and Batista now compared to what they were like pre-2007. There's no doubt about Triple H on Monday though, he looked bigger than he has in a long time. (I googled Triple H  in 2002 - yeah you're right, I forgot how ridiculous he was back then).

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
When Triple H came back from the first quad tear in 2002, he was shredded. His physique peaked right around the time he dropped the title to Hogan.

As far as him being older....I don't think he's receptors are fried yet. If he was on the same gear he took back in 2002 he could attain that previous look. He just doesn't take as many cutting drugs as he once did. He may be older but he's wrestling on a far less physical schedule so he's not as injury prone as he once was.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

He's also 12 years older. I suspect he's still using, but his body simply doesn't respond the same as it did when he was younger.

My friend's buddy is on the current WWE roster. He's admitted that certain guys are given an FYI before drug testing so that they can "conveniently" miss their flight to that show, etc.

If that is the case, then I can easily see the boss's son-in-law getting a total pardon. Hell, in the 80's, Hogan's piss test results were sent DIRECTLY to the old man's office for a time. Drug testing has ALWAYS been selective in the WWF.
Howard Finkel used to pee in Hogan's cup for the rec drug testing they did in the eighties. It all came out at the 1994 steroid trial.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
Howard Finkel used to pee in Hogan's cup for the rec drug testing they did in the eighties. It all came out at the 1994 steroid trial.

Yep!

Although, I also recall a time during which the old man had Hogan's results sent straight to his office. I think Bret may have mentioned that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »

Yep!

Although, I also recall a time during which the old man had Hogan's results sent straight to his office. I think Bret may have mentioned that.
Yes absolutely.  Anita Scales who worked at Titan Towers used to place Hogan's steroid orders with Dr.Zahorian and have the stuff Fex Ex'd right to Vince's office. Hogan wood go by and pick up his check...fan mail...and juice.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
Yes absolutely.  Anita Scales who worked at Titan Towers used to place Hogan's steroid orders with Dr.Zahorian and have the stuff Fex Ex'd right to Vince's office. Hogan wood go by and pick up his check...fan mail...and juice.

1985 - 1989 had to be Hogan's best years.

I wonder what it was like to be Terry Bollea at that time. 

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »

1985 - 1989 had to be Hogan's best years.

I wonder what it was like to be Terry Bollea at that time. 

A lot of guys made money because of him.  Just being on his card at that time meant more money. 

Who do you think was over more during their time him or Austin?

I have to say Austin.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »

A lot of guys made money because of him.  Just being on his card at that time meant more money. 

I have to say Austin.

Awe man, I hate when people ask that question. To me, it's like trying to compare Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's.

There's A LOT of other factors and variables that I think render an accurate direct comparison impractical. It's like when people ask who drew the most between Bruno, Hulk, and Austin, etc.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »

How the mighty have fallen.

I remember when RAW was the #1-rated show on cable, and was even pulling better numbers than Monday Night Football for a while!

OMG I remember Monday night was all I looked forward to all week.  It was truly an exciting time as a fan with the intense rivalry of WCW and WWF.  And then on top of this you had ECW doing its thing.  That was truly the pinnacle of professional wrestling. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »
OMG I remember Monday night was all I looked forward to all week.  It was truly an exciting time as a fan with the intense rivalry of WCW and WWF.  And then on top of this you had ECW doing its thing.  That was truly the pinnacle of professional wrestling.  

That period will remain the favorite for A LOT of wrestling fans.
I am still a huge mark for the 80's WWF, which were like magic to me as a kid. Some posters here will forever hold dear the 70's & 80's Mid-Atlantic era. There are even other more obscure promotions and talent reminisced here on occasion.

But, I believe that the" Monday Night Wars" may be the apex of the business in terms of overall popularity. I don't think professional wrestling has ever been more mainstream than it was then.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »

That period will remain the favorite for A LOT of wrestling fans.
I am still a huge mark for the 80's, which were like magic to me as a kid. Some posters here will forever hold dear the 70's & 80's Mid-Atlantic era.

But, I believe that the" Monday Night Wars" may be the apex of the business in terms of overall popularity. I don't think professional wrestling has ever been more mainstream than it was then.
how can you not reminisce about a florida wreslting match nwa when a 'satanic'kevin sullivan and dusty rhodes were in a cage match and jake the snake roberts dressed as 'santa claus'enters ringside and brings a gift for kev.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »
how can you not reminisce about a florida wreslting match nwa when a 'satanic'kevin sullivan and dusty rhodes were in a cage match and jake the snake roberts dressed as 'santa claus'enters ringside and brings a gift for kev.

Memories...

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 05:49:36 AM »

I have to say Austin.

Over more? I would have to agree with you and say Austin. The weekly pops he was getting around '98 have never been matched and likely never will by anybody again. Hogan was more over in popular culture at the time but among wrestling fans I think Stone Cold was probably more acclaimed. It could have been the timeframe too, with the type of fan WWF was appealing to during the attitude era but I remember EVERYBODY had a stone cold t-shirt or sign. Vince has said it himself numerous times, Austin was the most popular (and profitable) superstar ever.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »
Over more? I would have to agree with you and say Austin. The weekly pops he was getting around '98 have never been matched and likely never will by anybody again. Hogan was more over in popular culture at the time but among wrestling fans I think Stone Cold was probably more acclaimed. It could have been the timeframe too, with the type of fan WWF was appealing to during the attitude era but I remember EVERYBODY had a stone cold t-shirt or sign. Vince has said it himself numerous times, Austin was the most popular (and profitable) superstar ever.

Didn't they say that Austin merchandise outsold Hulkamania merchandise?
THAT'S impressive, considering the amount of stuff Hogan has had out. I wonder how they did the comparison. Did they only compare t-shirt sales? What kind of time frame did they use? Dave Meltzer may have the answers to some of those questions.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »
My favourite period was definitely the monday night war period. I also have a soft spot for the "new generation" period because it was when I first started getting into wrestling and I still think a lot of the matches during that time (Bret, Shawn, Owen, Undertaker) hold up today.

Lately though Ive been getting into some of that mid 80's stuff, not so much WWF, but more of the NWA stuff like Mid-South and early WCW which is completely new to me and seems to be a lot more appealing to a wrestling fan than what was going on in WWF.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 06:06:59 AM »

Didn't they say that Austin merchandise outsold Hulkamania merchandise?
THAT'S impressive, considering the amount of stuff Hogan has had out. I wonder how they did the comparison. Did they only compare t-shirt sales? What kind of time frame did they use? Dave Meltzer may have the answers to some of those questions.

Yeah Austin's stuff did outsell Hogan's, I assume they meant t-shirts, mugs, action figures - the usual stuff. I guess Vince would ultimately be the authority on who was more profitable as he oversaw the companies fortunes during both runs and I get the impression that he would lean toward Austin being the biggers star.

But credit to Hogan, had he not had the impact he had during the 80's who knows what wrestling would have been like in the 90's.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 06:17:31 AM »
But credit to Hogan, had he not had the impact he had during the 80's who knows what wrestling would have been like in the 90's.

Oh, the old man was lining up heirs to Hogan's throne even while Hulkster was white hot! Around '86, Vince brought down Tom Magee from Calgary. Tom had a great build and had been working/training with the Hart's in Calgary.

Vince wanted to see if the guy was any good, and it was said Hogan was more than a little nervous until everybody saw Magee stink up the ring in his big tryout match. And, that was working with Bret Hart. If you can't look good working with somebody like that, then maybe you need to look for another profession!

My point supports what you are getting at above: we rag on Hogan, but he did pull "it" off, and not just anybody could have done the same.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »

Makes you wonder...if Austin never tore his Tricep leading to his firing from WCW.......

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
Makes you wonder...if Austin never tore his Tricep leading to his firing from WCW.......

Right, one wonders if his ability and potential would have seen him still rise to top over time.

Its like wondering what would have happened if the MSG curtain call had not happened. Triple H was originally supposed to win the 96 King of the Ring but was buried for his part in MSG. So Austin got the push, resulting in the famous Austin 3:16 promo after he beat Jake Roberts in the final. After that he was on a whole new level. BUT, Triple H still made it to the top a few years later, so it begs the question as to whether some guys are destined to make it regardless of circumstance.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
Right, one wonders if his ability and potential would have seen him still rise to top over time.

Its like wondering what would have happened if the MSG curtain call had not happened. Triple H was originally supposed to win the 96 King of the Ring but was buried for his part in MSG. So Austin got the push, resulting in the famous Austin 3:16 promo after he beat Jake Roberts in the final. After that he was on a whole new level. BUT, Triple H still made it to the top a few years later, so it begs the question as to whether some guys are destined to make it regardless of circumstance.

I was always under the impression that Hunter's push was imminent, but simply delayed a bit as "punishment" for the the "Curtain Call." Hall & Nash were leaving, Shawn had the belt (and a special relationship with Vince); HHH was left to face the reprimand alone.