Author Topic: GMO FOODS  (Read 9735 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: GMO FOODS
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
Predisposition?  My mom had lung cancer and did it to herself basically.

Genetics is rough. Maybe she did to it to herself, maybe not. My grandmother smoked until she went into a home at 94. When they checked her lungs, they were perfectly clear and she smoked since she 14. She died at 96. Check out your family history. We have no cancer that runs through my family, that doesn't mean we can't get it.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »

That is complete BS.  Last I checked, it is still a vegetable.  Unless your a specific corn eating worm with an alkaline based digestive system, you have nothing to worry about from the BT protein.  That is why organic farmers spay a whole lot of it.  YES there are organic registered pesticides that organic farmers use and the BT protein is one of them.

Look, if you use B. thuringiensis in any crop, you are trying to get rid of lepidopteran larvae in this specific crop, the fumigation may reach other lepidopteran larvae but it's not a big deal actually. However, in GMC, they fear pollen (containing DNA from B.t) may reach harmless species and get rid of them. The difference between several applications of B. thuringiensis and the use of corn with insecticide properties (including its pollen) may be significant, althought I'm not sure how big would the impact be.

Another serious threat, it's the possibility of gene transfer to another species, let's say that you use GM plants with resistence to Roundup, these plants may cross-breed with weeds creating "superweeds", with tolerance to Roundup.

Additionally, the effect on humans of consuming GM food is still not well documented.

GM crops are a serious threat to the enviroment, althought I thik they may be useful in some scenarios.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Only up to a certain point. If a company could make a plant completely disease resistant, it would not sell its pesticides anymore. These companies are not here to prevent diseases and stop world hunger, they only want to make a profit.

Bingo! I was surprised to know one investigation concerning GM crops had as a goal making them more tolerant to glyphosate, until I knew about the responsibles behind this idea. They need their money back of course.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
Now, for the those saying GM is the same as natural breeding, or selective breeding.

Myth: Genetic engineering is just an extension of natural breeding
Truth: Genetic engineering is different from natural breeding and possess special risks

GM proponents claim that genetic engineering is just an extension of natural plant breeding. They say that GM crops are no different from naturally  bred crops, apart from the inserted foreign GM gene (transgene) and its protein product. But this is misleading. GM is completely different from  natural breeding and poses different risks.

Natural breeding can only take place between closely related forms of life (e.g. cats with cats, not cats with dogs; wheat with wheat, not wheat with tomatoes or fish). In this way, the genes that carry information for all parts of the organism are passed down the generations in an orderly way. In contrast, GM is a laboratory-based technique that is completely different from natural breeding.

http://earthopensource.org/files/pdfs/GMO_Myths_and_Truths/GMO_Myths_and_Truths_1.3b.pdf

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
Now, for the those saying GM is the same as natural breeding, or selective breeding.

http://earthopensource.org/files/pdfs/GMO_Myths_and_Truths/GMO_Myths_and_Truths_1.3b.pdf

Click the link to rational wiki. It explains all of that.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
Click the link to rational wiki. It explains all of that.

I just read a part of it. The guy who wrote that is completely off regarding some topics. I'm an agricultural engineer I know a thing or two about crops.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
I just read a part of it. The guy who wrote that is completely off regarding some topics. I'm an agricultural engineer I know a thing or two about crops.
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

;)

PS: sorry if I came up as arrogant but since I didn't want to point out the errors on that link and explain why, I just said it, it isn't false.

gatts

• Getbig II
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2014, 05:51:49 AM »

A brief explanation why is it important to eat organic.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
 :D
;)

PS: sorry if I came up as arrogant but since I didn't want to point out the errors on that link and explain why, I just said it, it isn't false.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »

Does he have any connection to the TV show Degrassi? ???

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:33 PM »
The Rio Red variety grapefruit was developed at Texas A&M University–Kingsville.

They planted a grapefruit orchard with high security. When the trees started to blossom in the spring, a Gamma Ray source would pop out of the ground at night and irradiate the blossoms with radiation.  They then harvested the fruit that resulted and analyzed the individuals for desired traits  That is, being good to eat and visually attractive.  There was one cluster that had everything they wanted and a line was propagated from it.  

This is how the Rio Red and Rio Star grapefruit came about.

theredeemer

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:55 AM »
Perfectly fine and advantageous as they will be more disease resistant, hence less pesticides will be used and also nutrient content can be made much higher.  Shelf life can also be increased and the growing season can be extended as well as larger crop yield.

I'm pretty sure you'll find the nutrient value in today's American food is LOWER  than it was in the past.  Also there are now new strains of diseases that are damaging these GMO crops.  Natures way of saying you can't cheat me?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2014, 01:36:23 AM »
listen to adonis...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2014, 02:12:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure you'll find the nutrient value in today's American food is LOWER  than it was in the past.  Also there are now new strains of diseases that are damaging these GMO crops.  Natures way of saying you can't cheat me?
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition last year published a study of 162 scientific papers from the past 50 years on the health benefits of organically grown foods and found no nutritional advantage over conventionally grown foods.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2009.28041v1

Am J Clin Nutr (July 29, 2009). doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.28041

© 2009 American Society for Clinical Nutrition
Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review1,2,3,4

Alan D Dangour, Sakhi K Dodhia, Arabella Hayter, Elizabeth Allen, Karen Lock and Ricardo Uauy
1 From the Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit (ADD, SKD, AH, and RU) and the Medical Statistics Unit (EA), Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom, and the Health Services Research Unit, Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK (KL).

2 The funding organization had no role in the study design, data collection, analysis, interpretation, or writing of the report. The review team held 6 progress meetings with the funding organization.

3 Supported by the UK Food Standards Agency (PAU221).

4 Address correspondence to AD Dangour, Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom. E-mail: alan.dangour@lshtm.ac.uk.

ABSTRACT

Background: Despite growing consumer demand for organically produced foods, information based on a systematic review of their nutritional quality is lacking.

Objective: We sought to quantitatively assess the differences in reported nutrient content between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs.

Design: We systematically searched PubMed, Web of Science, and CAB Abstracts for a period of 50 y from 1 January 1958 to 29 February 2008, contacted subject experts, and hand-searched bibliographies. We included peer-reviewed articles with English abstracts in the analysis if they reported nutrient content comparisons between organic and conventional foodstuffs. Two reviewers extracted study characteristics, quality, and data. The analyses were restricted to the most commonly reported nutrients.

Results: From a total of 52,471 articles, we identified 162 studies (137 crops and 25 livestock products); 55 were of satisfactory quality. In an analysis that included only satisfactory quality studies, conventionally produced crops had a significantly higher content of nitrogen, and organically produced crops had a significantly higher content of phosphorus and higher titratable acidity. No evidence of a difference was detected for the remaining 8 of 11 crop nutrient categories analyzed. Analysis of the more limited database on livestock products found no evidence of a difference in nutrient content between organically and conventionally produced livestock products.

Conclusions: On the basis of a systematic review of studies of satisfactory quality, there is no evidence of a difference in nutrient quality between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs. The small differences in nutrient content detected are biologically plausible and mostly relate to differences in production methods.

Received for publication May 7, 2009. Accepted for publication July 2, 2009.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »
http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/food-exercise-mythbuster.aspx

Myth 7 : Processed foods are not as healthy for me as fresh foods

In some cases this is true, but a lot of processed foods are just as healthy, and sometimes even more healthy than fresh foods. This all depends on how they are processed.

For example, frozen fruit and frozen vegetables are usually processed within hours of being picked. Because hardly any nutrients get lost in the freezing process they stay very healthy.
    They are often cheaper for you to buy too, which makes them a fantastic option to help make up your 5 A DAY

Read more: easy ways to get 5 A DAY

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 02:19:53 AM »
Furthermore, I challenge anyone to find any food that offers more vitamins and nutrients than one serving of Wheaties Cereal, gram for gram.

theredeemer

• Getbig III
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2014, 02:30:04 AM »
In an analysis that included only satisfactory quality studies

Conclusions: On the basis of a systematic review of studies of satisfactory quality,

Please. Don't insult my intelligence.  Your BS may work on the average dope. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:53 AM »
Please. Don't insult my intelligence.  Your BS may work on the average dope. 
???

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2014, 06:46:34 AM »
Furthermore, I challenge anyone to find any food that offers more vitamins and nutrients than one serving of Wheaties Cereal, gram for gram.

Wheaties are an awesome food.  Super high in iron, and metal bits.   :D

http://www.naturalnews.com/043633_wheaties_cereal_metal_fragments_magnetic.html

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »

::)

Any food that contains Iron has this property.  There is no difference between the Iron in Red Meat or Cereal and you can do the same experiment with both.  ("NaturalNews", oh brother, I expected better from you Twaddle)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:15 AM »

Here are some of the wonderful and insightful things that the creator of "NaturalNews" believes and pushes:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews#cite_note-67

Non-medical conspiracy theories

Adams' love for woo isn't restricted to medicine. Cold fusion and so-called free energy ideas and devices like the Energy Catalyzer are presented on his website with the same enthusiasm as the latest alternative medicine fad.[63][64] He collects news about chemtrails.[65] He is a 9/11 truther,[66] Birther,[67] and pretty much everything else-er. And a Sandy Hook denialist.[68] He considers Alex Jones, Jeff Rense, and David Icke to be "REAL heroes"[69] and Icke[70] and whale.to[71] to be reliable sources. Curiously, he supports Ron Paul, who is a real medical doctor and not a practitioner of woo (in the field of medicine). This could be because Paul supports "health freedom,"[72] despite Adams simultaneously supporting health care reform and Cuba's health care system. [73]

He thinks Scientology (of which he is an ex-member)[74] is treated unfairly.[75][76] According to Adams, this is due to attempts by anti-religious bigots and (you guessed it) Big Pharma to oppress their belief system in order to protect their profits.

Adams has also issued his informed opinion of the 2012 Aurora, Colorado shootings, declaring that they were "obviously" staged, or perhaps that the killer, James Holmes, was involved in "experimental" neuroscience that got out of hand.[77] Furthermore, he says the 2013 attacks on the Boston Marathon were a false flag operation by "private military contractors."[78]

In 2014 Adams wrote several articles where he tried to prove that the Malaysian airplane disaster in March 2014 was a government cover-up, and that the plane was secretly made into a "stealth weapon", possibly carrying nuclear weapons. He also stated that he believed that the people behind the cover-up could go as far as "secretly sink some aircraft debris in the Indian Ocean so they can "find it"." Even though he believes the passengers might have survived he states that "world governments are rolling out their "official" stories, there is no question in my mind that they will do anything to support those official stories, even if it means discarding the lives of all the passengers." [79]

Also, "conventional physics" is a conspiracy of the same sort as conventional medicine.[80]
[edit] 2013 predictions

At the end of 2012, Adams put up a list of 20 "dark" predictions about 2013, which he believes to be "1984 on steroids." If Adams was right (and that's a big if, considering his predictions for 2012[81]), the following was predicted to happen:[82]

Global economic collapse: "When record-low tax revenues are reported in April because of Obama's planned destruction of the U.S. economy, ratings organizations will downgrade U.S. debt, setting off a global selloff that could thrust America into a "nightmare" scenario of being unable to sell more debt." (Erm, does he want more or less taxes? Also, particularly funny in light of the government shutdown, brought about by Obama's opponents.)
    "Obama administration attempts to gut the Second Amendment."
    "Martial Law declared across America."
    "Extreme shortages of guns, ammo, magazines as their barter value skyrockets."
    "Tactical weapon strikes target Iran."
    "Massive false flag attack carried out in USA and blamed on patriots."
    "DHS arms the TSA and begins insane abuses of Americans on roadway checkpoints."
    "Secret resistance groups begin to form across America." (Which will be easy to verify, given that secret groups are usually well-documented, right?)
    "Attacks on the First Amendment accelerate as government seizes websites." (At least, the government will shut down NaturalNews and Alex Jones' Infowars site, apparently)
    "The rise of violent rhetoric among the population as disagreements turn to threats." (Oh the irony!)
    "Global government makes its move" – "Expect to see UN troops in U.S. cities before the end of 2015. The planned rollout of conflict in the USA is going to be followed by UN troops arriving on the scene to "rescue" the USA."
    "Accelerated mainstream media attacks on patriots, preppers and veterans." (Because self-declared patriots are peaceful people.)
    "Disagreement with the government characterized a 'mental disorder.'"
    "Continued rise in unemployment, food stamps, welfare as Obama accelerates deliberate destruction of U.S. economy."
    "Criminalization of preparedness activities as government outlaws ammo storage of private citizens." (Again)
    "Riots in the streets, followed by Martial Law." (Again)
    "Deliberate food shortages used as a weapon of government control."
    "Weather becomes even more radicalized, with droughts, floods, freezes." (And who's stopping AGW mitigation?)
    "Solar weather gets nasty: Solar flares threaten communications."
    "You will be told the answer to all our problems is "MORE government!""

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
Adam, I admire your patience but what do you expect of bunch of uneducated gym rats who think they are smarter than scientists? Or consider science bullshit... Or at least until they get sick and go to a real doctor, not some fucking magician.

Also they just don't understand what you write. "No evidence" does not mean that it doesn't exist. But until we find a solid proof that GMO foods are less healthy than normal foods we cannot assume shit because for all we know, it can be the other way round. Maybe GMO food is actually healthier?

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
("NaturalNews", oh brother, I expected better from you Twaddle)

Read, Name, Twaddle!  Why would you expect better?   ;D  I'm here for the lullllz and trolling.