Author Topic: Bruce Lee's short bulking phase  (Read 24647 times)

3Dkiller

• Getbig IV
  • Fuck The New World Order
Re: Bruce Lee's short bulking phase
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
bruce lee is fast before a bodybuilder hits him bruce lee hits him triple times
TEAM WOLF

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »
Actually i think chuck got his ass handed to him in there famous colloseum scene. What you are probably trying to say is that Muhammad Ali is the one who could've taken bruce. Here's an (article check the ending)

In interviews Bruce Lee said that in a real fight Chuck Norris would have killed him.
The House that Ruth built

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »
LMAO you guys are dumbasses! Lee benched 365lbs and would destroy anyone on this board, apart from me of course as id shoot him with my glock if he gave me any shit. >:(

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
In a biography written about 3-4 years after he died, it was discussed how Bruce was attacked on his way home from a training run in the early '70's.  Bruce's daily regimen included a daily 7 mile run.  The attackers totaled 7 armed ment (bats, pipes, knives).  Bruce survived, hospitalizing 5 of the attackers, the other two took off.  Bruce was also hospitalized for several weeks.  Noted that Bruce didn't compete in Martial Arts competitions & didn't follow one fight system.  His base instruction was in Wing Chun Gung Fu taught  to him by Yip Man.  He also studied/observed every other fighting style--including boxing (specifically Ali's style).  Eventually he created his own system which emcompassed multiple systems--Jeet Kune Do--which basically means to hit/strike your opponent before they hit/strike you.  Only thing with his writing of his system, he never completed all of it before he died.  The big question here is was Bruce as bad as his myth indicates??  The answer would have be both yes & no.  No one is invincible, and depending on the individual--size can matter.  But he definitely influenced plenty of fighters over the years.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2006, 01:19:11 PM »
Many skinny internet geeks want to think Bruce Lee(a short skinny man)could defeat anyone - because this makes them feel powerful. At the same time, they envy muscular physiques(that they might have difficulty building because of their limited genetics)otherwise they wouldn't be on this message board. So in a way they are a little like their hero Bruce. Bruce protecs their fragile egos. It's basic psychology.

It's funny someone used Fedor as an example. He's 6'2'' 213 pounds. Hardly a skinny Bruce Lee.

Bob Sapp's fighting style is "NFL" yet he is able to compete with smaller black belts.

Mike Tyson was 5'10'' 220+ pounds. Didn't slow him down. But Bruce Lee would kill him with his functional strength right LMAO.

Mark Coleman(245pounds)
Dan Severn(250pounds)
Maurice Smith(220pounds)
Ken Shamrock(235pounds)
Mark Kerr(255pounds)

You will scarcely find a champ below 200 pounds!!! Royce Gracie being the exception - but he was still no skinny Bruce Lee.   
"Shut the F up and train"

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2006, 01:33:27 PM »
Bruce was infact challenged by a Japanese Karate Master, a fight he immediately accepted. Apparently the guy was beaten so badly, so quickly, there wasnt time to pull Bruce from him. You forget his power and speed were phenomenal. To submit him you would have to take him down, and to do that you would have to get near him. He studied Chinese Boxing, Kung Fu and wrestling to an extent (Enter The Dragon shows him grappling and submitting an opponent by armbar) but you forget he was 35 years ago. Its like asking why John Cironte or Bill Pearl wouldnt beat people in todays bodybuilding contests. Evolution!

35 years of martial arts evolution that would never have come around if it wasnt for Bruce Lee. IMO he could have adapted incredibly and been very successful. Its fair to say no1 is unbeatable, but there is simply no way of knowing how he would have done against Royce Gracie, Mark Kerr etc because its all based around opinions and random ideas. Remember, he could send a 230lb man flying 8-10 feet with a simple kick...........
Scouser on Tour

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »

It's funny someone used Fedor as an example. He's 6'2'' 213 pounds. Hardly a skinny Bruce Lee.

Bob Sapp's fighting style is "NFL" yet he is able to compete with smaller black belts.

Mike Tyson was 5'10'' 220+ pounds. Didn't slow him down. But Bruce Lee would kill him with his functional strength right LMAO.

Mark Coleman(245pounds)
Dan Severn(250pounds)
Maurice Smith(220pounds)
Ken Shamrock(235pounds)
Mark Kerr(255pounds)

You will scarcely find a champ below 200 pounds!!! Royce Gracie being the exception - but he was still no skinny Bruce Lee.   

what are you talking about? there's an awful lot of champs below 200 pounds in boxing, mma or pretty much any style with the exception of sumo wrestling
Z

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
what are you talking about? there's an awful lot of champs below 200 pounds in boxing, mma or pretty much any style with the exception of sumo wrestling

Not in competitions with open weight classes. Why do you think they have weight classes in the first place. DUH

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2006, 01:51:17 PM »
A 98 pound Chinese woman that's a master of WuShu should defeat all!!!

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2006, 02:08:21 PM »

Eh I used him as example of someone who doesn't train with weights. To illustrate that weight training strength doesn't do a whole lot for you in a fight. I never said size does not matter.

Learn how to read.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
Eh I used him as example of someone who doesn't train with weights. To illustrate that weight training strength doesn't do a whole lot for you in a fight. I never said size does not matter.

Learn how to read.

Fedor does weight train - just not to the extreme that a bodybuilder does. Strength does alot in a fight. That's a fact.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
Obviously it's beneficial to be bigger, but only up to a certain level... and there's some guys that have fought heavier guys and done so with great success... Sakuraba at 190lbs or so defeating Ken Shamrock (235lbs), Kevin Randleman (205lbs), Rampage Jackson (205lbs), Conan Silveria (242lbs).
Kaoklai in K-1 at 176lbs defeating Ignashov (258lbs), Mighty Mo (273lbs).
Genki Sudo at 155lbs defeating Butterbean (350lbs), Kousei Kubota (181lbs), Nathan Marquardt (185lbs), Kenichi Yamamoto (192lbs) to name a few.
Z

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2006, 02:30:51 PM »
Didn't Bruce have to go through a series of fights from all different styles from there top exponets in front of a group of Grand Masters to have his style recognised by the World Martial Arts Council so he could set up teaching schools. And in these fights he destroyed all of his combatants with his own adapted style ???

I call him Brucie as he was a good mate of mine  ;)

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2006, 03:23:36 PM »
There are no disabled people......only people who have met Bruce Lee!

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
Bruce was attacked on his way home from a training run in the early '70's.  Bruce's daily regimen included a daily 7 mile run.  The attackers totaled 7 armed ment (bats, pipes, knives).  Bruce survived, hospitalizing 5 of the attackers, the other two took off.  Bruce was also hospitalized for several weeks

Bullshit.Never happened.

Bruce was infact challenged by a Japanese Karate Master, a fight he immediately accepted. Apparently the guy was beaten so badly, so quickly, there wasnt time to pull Bruce from him

This is about 5% correct, he indeed fought a guy who opposed Bruce teaching the 'eastern' ways, but by Bruce's own admission, all his wing chun training went out the window once his instincts took over and the fight turned in to a friday night outside the bar swingfest.The fight was ugly and both fighters tired out completely within a couple of minutes.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
LOL. And the fighter wasn't Japanese. He was another Gung Fu man.

Some clown was on here a while back claiming Bruce Lee would challenge people to a fight that looked over his fence while he was training, excuse himself, and return in 5 minutes having defeated them.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »
I posted this in another Lee thread but it fits in nicely here.

I first watched enter the dragon when i was 5 (older brothers) and the vhs tape was then played at least 100 times in the next 10 years.Bruce was an incredibly charismatic,lean and handsome asian star who literally took over a camera when he was on it.My brothers would tell me that bruce developed a muscle in his body noone else had, through one inch punching no less.They also said he won this title and that title, numerous times.Guess what, I ate it up, I had all his films (all 5 of them) posters, nunchackas and the lunch box.I boxed in my teens and then took an interest in the fighting arts as a whole.Streetfighters,boxers, wrestlers , you name it I watched and read about it and thats whn it dawned on me.Bruce Lee was a movie star and someone with a good knowledge of martial arts, no more.

I read all the books on Bruce, watched all the video footage, what did I learn?Bruce won 0 titles, in fact never competed in a tournament.He routinely got his ass handed to him as a teen when streetfighting.In fact the one organised fight Bruce ever had, you know what happened?All those years of Wing Chun, all that training, Bruce within 30 seconds was panting,wheezing and all the techniques of wing chun went out the window and it turned in to the swing fest you see on a friday night outside the local bar.And this was against some nomark fighter from a local dojo.This is by Bruces admission folks, look it up.

His great feats of strength...This one really erks me,apart from in his fingers, Bruce possesed no great amount of strength.He worked on his finger strength religiously and at 140 it isnt hard to do bodyweight exercises.DIet down to 140 then spend 5 years on finger strength with the same passion you lift normally and ill laugh at you if you cant do finger pushups by then.Bruce weighed 140 at around 6% bf and benched 160 for 10.that means at 20% bf Bruce would have weighed around 165,would you find it remarkable for a guy in your gym with the latter stats BP 160 or curling 80?I didnt think so, In fact I see this every day.The one inch punch is a gimmick that has been done better by many people better since.

Heres something for the doubters to do, go watch an organised fight that most resembles a streetfight.Something like UFC or K1.Watch the styles that work.In other words Boxing and grappling.Bruces foundation style wing chun relied pretty much soley on very precise blocks,grabs and counters which have very little effect in a real fight.Real fights involve punching and then usually rolling round on the floor.Watch UFC the fights always start with some boxing then straight in to a grapple.Bruce would last 5 seconds in a ufc bout.Mike Tyson would kill Bruce in a ring or out of it.Organised fighting Have weight classes for a reason people. for the safety of lighter fighters.

Anyway I have written too much now.Bruce was a marvel on the screen and looked like he could beat your ass in 5 seconds.But then so did Keanu Reeves in the Matrix.Its Hollywood folks, dont read too much in to it.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2006, 04:10:10 PM »
From everything I have heard or seen about Bruce Lee, and I am a big fan, he did not fight in the stlye that you currently see in MMA.  The MMA style of fighting is best demonstrated by everyone adapting to it.  In the beginning of the UFC every style was being used and with time every fighter has adopted to using some kind of juijitsu, because it is superior and most fights end up on the ground.  Bruce Lee may have been a great fighter, but I can't imagine him doing well on the ground against the beasts who are fighting today.

I do miss the days of action movies with real action heroes like Bruce Lee, Norris, Schwarzen..., Stallone.  Now we get regular actors playing these roles like Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Bring back the real action stars.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2006, 04:16:22 PM »
LMAO you guys are dumbasses! Lee benched 365lbs and would destroy anyone on this board, apart from me of course as id shoot him with my glock if he gave me any shit. >:(
hahahahahahahaha, Bruce Lee couldn't bench 165.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2006, 04:18:21 PM »
They always talk about Bruce mastering his body - it's funny, because they found opium in his system when they did the autopsy.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2006, 04:26:09 PM »
They always talk about Bruce mastering his body - it's funny, because they found opium in his system when they did the autopsy.

That's part of it
Z

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »
didn't they find a pint of jizz in there too? haha, ancient Chinese secret.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
Speaking of the autopsy, what you guys think about the untimely death of his son. Bruce at 33? his son at 28? could it be that the ninjas got to them ??? They where holding a gruge against him for teaching to the westerners and for kicking some ninja ass!!
just push some weight!

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2006, 05:00:39 PM »
Speaking of the autopsy, what you guys think about the untimely death of his son. Bruce at 33? his son at 28? could it be that the ninjas got to them ??? They where holding a gruge against him for teaching to the westerners and for kicking some ninja ass!!

Nah, probably the just a plain ole pint a jizz too.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2006, 05:18:57 PM »
The fighters weight train AND fight train.

Like I said, not too many 105 pound Shaolin Monk MMA champions.

Strength is a huge advantage in a fight, hence WEIGHT CLASSES

The fact that Bob Sapp can compete with highly trained martial artist using brute strength alone says alot about brute strength. I'm sure Ronnie Coleman could kick some ass if he wanted.
I could use Ken Shamrock, Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, Dan Severn, Mike Tyson, ect ect as a few examples of guys that put strength(combined with skill) to good use.
All CHAMPS!!

CLOWN
no shit size matters, but the point is is that its not the only thing. just because you are a large person doesnt mean your going to kick anyones ass that weighs less than you. the advantage comes from having size AND skill. just because a guy like bruce lee is light doesnt mean any fat ass over 200 lb is going to destroy him.
i never said a 105 lb monk (lol) would win the MMA CHAMPIONSHIP i said he could probably put a beating on most REGULAR guys who are heavier than he is