Author Topic: Flax seeds  (Read 1685 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Flax seeds
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »
Do you need a coffee grinder to grind them or can you just throw them in your blender with your protein shake to grind them? 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Flax seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
I've never tried it, but I can't imagine any method pulverizing them enough to liquefy them. If looking to add to a shake, have you considered using flax oil?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
Do you need a coffee grinder to grind them or can you just throw them in your blender with your protein shake to grind them? 

It's going to depend on your blender.  Maybe something like a Vita-Mix or even a Bullet might work.  You'd have to grind them first before adding anything else for it to work.  A coffee grinder does work great though.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
It's going to depend on your blender.  Maybe something like a Vita-Mix or even a Bullet might work.  You'd have to grind them first before adding anything else for it to work.  A coffee grinder does work great though.

Will it "gunk up" the gears with oil?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
I've never tried it, but I can't imagine any method pulverizing them enough to liquefy them. If looking to add to a shake, have you considered using flax oil?
:-\ yes it's just that I already purchased a bag of seeds. I guess i will just grind them up and put them in my food, stir fry etc. I'll buy liquid for my shakes. Thanks for the help getbig.

So I assume want they say is true that the shell is too rough for the body to beak down?

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18689552/

CONCLUSION: In summary, ingestion of flax oil and milled flaxseed delivered significant levels of ALA to the plasma whereas whole flaxseed did not. Whole seed and oil preparations induced adverse gastrointestinal effects within 4 weeks and these were severe enough to induce the withdrawal of some subjects from these two groups. No one withdrew from the group that ingested milled flaxseed and, therefore, may represent a good form of flaxseed to avoid serious side-effects and still provide significant increases in ALA to the body.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »

Will it "gunk up" the gears with oil?

They're not that oily.  They should pulverize into a sawdust consistency ~ then stop grinding.  No problem adding to a smoothie if the fibery texture isn't bothersome.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
They're not that oily.  They should pulverize into a sawdust consistency ~ then stop grinding.  No problem adding to a smoothie if the fibery texture isn't bothersome.

I sometimes add oatmeal to my shakes. I used to grind it, but found it of little benefit, so I now just add it straight from the container. It's tolerable, so I didn't figure whole flax seeds would be an issue.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18689552/

CONCLUSION: In summary, ingestion of flax oil and milled flaxseed delivered significant levels of ALA to the plasma whereas whole flaxseed did not. Whole seed and oil preparations induced adverse gastrointestinal effects within 4 weeks and these were severe enough to induce the withdrawal of some subjects from these two groups. No one withdrew from the group that ingested milled flaxseed and, therefore, may represent a good form of flaxseed to avoid serious side-effects and still provide significant increases in ALA to the body.

Nice find, dude!
I have referenced that site often over the years!!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
So thinking about trying the liquid and if it bothers me I will mill my seeds in a coffee grinder. Or should I just go straight to the coffee grinder?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
So thinking about trying the liquid and if it bothers me I will mill my seeds in a coffee grinder. Or should I just go straight to the coffee grinder?

Both are an acquired taste IMO ~ ground is not as strong tasting.
: