Author Topic: Dennis James MTUT training style  (Read 20972 times)

bishlawy

• Getbig I
Dennis James MTUT training style
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »
Hey all,

anyone tried the above training style with success so far? whats your opinions and feedback  :)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Dennis James MTUT training style
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:35:04 AM »
Stands for m??? time under tension?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:19:57 AM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

bishlawy

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Well, it seems all his clients are satisfied and getting good results " Big Ramy- Fouad Abiad" and many more.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
Well, it seems all his clients are satisfied and getting good results " Big Ramy- Fouad Abiad" and many more.

Which has almost nothing to do with training protocols.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
but you said drugs are but the finishing touch

No, that was Bob Chick. I said that successful bbing is all about the sum of the equation.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
i actually think it was rich gaspari ;D

Could be, I don't follow those supp selling guys.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
I don't know what's going on with all this rebranding of training protocols. I nearly fell off my chair when a 20 something kid told me about this new radical HST training. I told him whole body training three days a week is what bodybuilders did in the 50's like Steve Reeves and John Grimek. HST added variable rep ranges and it's a "new" training protocol?  

Now I had to look up MTUT training. It appears to be super slow training of the Med x HIT guys rebranded to look like something new.

In my viewpoint it's great for for people who are not into hardcore fitness.  It is really a safe form of lifting when you do your reps super slow on machines.  It's great for rehab. I am concerned with 45 plus year olds getting their blood pressure through the roof doing a 10 second concentric and a 10 second negative.  I don't care how many shallow breaths you take.  

Ken Hutchins who is the guru of super slow has not found the acceptance for his training protocol. He feels it is the best way to train.  His role model Arthur Jones if memory serves me didn't agree with his super slow reps.  It's also "blasphemy" that he altered Arthur Jones's Medx machines. Remember he modified all those Arthur Jones MedX machines for super slow by changing the cam?  Maybe Hutchins has some medical problems for an excuse but he always seemed like an out of shape guy to me.  The fact remains if you want to lift 100lbs. the wrong way to go about it is to lift 40lbs in slow motion.  The less weight you lift the lower the recruitment of muscle fibers.  I believe in proper form and not throwing a weight through momentum but doing 20 second reps is ridiculous for a healthy athlete trying to get stronger.

Super slow fans follow the super slow guru Ken Hutchins method of super slow.  Hutchins was a follower of Jones but he put his own twist to it.  Using mainly MEDX machines they use light weights using slow motion reps.  They train sometimes less than 20 minutes twice a week.  That's all the physical exercise they do.  I believe they are using less than 80 calories a session.  

I personally don't believe super slow involve the muscle fibers that are responsible for the greatest potential for growth and strength.  Where in athletics do you do anything in slow motion?  When you throw a punch, sprint, or tackle someone do you do it in slow motion?  The university of Sydney found that lifting at a one second concentric and one second negative built more strength than the typically preached 3 second up and 3 second down.  They found it was 11% more effective.  I don't believe in throwing weights as in what I see some people do but lifting in a typical cadence that most bodybuilder use isn't a problem.  When it comes to Olympic lifting the more explosive the better.

This subculture of super slow bodybuilding also believes that the added muscle weight put on by super slow will get you ripped quick. They took an accepted given but ran with it to prove the efficiency of super slow.  Yes, adding muscle uses more calories at rest but give me a break. I guess it didn't work for Hutchins.  No offense but maybe due to health problems he looks seriously out of shape in the last picture I saw.

Some of the studies with super slow were gathered from a YMCA in Mass. conducted by a man named Wescott I believe. It showed that non bodybuilders using super slow put on lean body mass but any untrained person put on any lifting program will show an increase in lean body mass.  

Lastly from what I heard is that Jones wasn't to happy about super slow or the modifications to his MEDX machines.  I think super slow has a place in training.  It's a tool like any other.  To use it exclusively is a mistake. It's great for rehabilitation.  

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
Decent post oldtimer1.

There is no consensus in the academic world if the super slow protocol is effective for hypertrophy or not (link), but it seems to work well for recovery & strength.

Regarding HST, I believe that it's strongest point is it's user friendly way to apply periodization. The principles of periodization are -IMO- very undervalued in most sports.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
Super slow training causes a serious increase in cortisol. Not a good thing unless u are on a ton of juice.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:36:34 AM »
Just to note;I don't follow BB'ing so don't know Mr James or his MTUT system...I searched it.

Been pretty much established that quick hard muscle contractions (positive rep...shorting the muscle) followed by a slower eccentric (negative rep...lengthening the muscle) is the best way to increase muscle strength and size. Of course there are exceptions like with anything else in training. Mid range & partial reps come to mind. And the once trendy 3.1.4.0 (just an example..other forms of this) exercise style.

There are also seldom used negative only reps, where much heavier weight is used, with very slow lowering. Negatives are a great way to increase the strength in chinning/pullup movements.

Just my view: Super slow reps are usually done in 8-12 rep range, moderate weight and in strict style. They can be a good protocol to obtain a certain level of development and strength, and can be joint friendly.  But for the average BB'er, with the intent to get much bigger and stronger, slower and strict reps just don't seem to accomplish this aim. Now the MTUT may work wonders for a select few, and that is a good thing. Only way to find out is to try this style of training, giving it a fair chance, yourself. You may be the exception to the rule. As yet, I have failed to see a large, impressive and strong BB'er ever use anywhere near the super slow style of training, or even strict reps. They usually hit the middle range rep scheme only and at a very quick pace. Semi to extreme cheating in the process. It's the TUT (Time Under Tension) thing mostly.

Rehab requires slower movements because the muscle area is relearning to call upon the proper muscle memory/impulse to complete a normal function. Also the tendon/ligaments healing comes into importance. Light stretching, and massage, is also a major element to take into consideration in any healing process. Can never rush a injury. Cold laser theory seems to becoming more of a medical aid, of late.

Good Luck

F