Author Topic: A Question For Religious People  (Read 10261 times)

alabama ftw

Re: Question for the religious
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »

alabama ftw

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »

alabama ftw

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »
i was following lucifer for awhile last year cause i was very pissed off at god, i was at a very dark place in my life
Devilsmile was the same way...

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 02:05:21 PM »
Your thread contribution is appreciated!

Which portion?  The answering machine bit?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
i was following lucifer for awhile last year cause i was very pissed off at god, i was at a very dark place in my life

Just curious, but why did you become angry with God?  It's none of my business, but thought I'd ask.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 06:25:18 AM »
MOS,

I am sending both religion topics to your board...

"1"

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »
MOS,

I am sending both religion topics to your board...

"1"

Sounds good....I'll give them the attention they deserve.   ;)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
Re: A Question For Religious People
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »
Also why did God make so many fucking planets if this is the only one with any fucking life? waste of time?

I think most folks that consider this question often align with Carl Sagan's classic comment from his book "Contact" in which he considers the following:

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”

As a believer I see the vast expanse of the universe and everything in it quite differently than Mr. Sagan (who was not a believer).  

When I see the universe I see the glory of God, but the reality is that the fullness of that glory and power can't be contained within the universe.  Still, I think the vastness we see is meant for us so that we may get some understanding (within our finite existence) of how truly incomprehensible God's power, glory and scope truly are.

Within the scope of humanity's artistic renderings we often find photographs or depictions of nature and space in all it's magnificence, but these artistic portrayals are all merely imitations of God's original handiwork.  People are fascinated by God's work and spend their lives trying to understand it (whether they acknowledge that notion or not).    

I don't see the vastness of the universe and our place within it and see a "waste of space" or a "waste of time".  I see an act of love and purpose.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:55 AM »
Where did Cain's wife come from?

Yes, Cain's wife was his sister.

Genesis 5:4
4 After the birth of Seth, Adam lived another 800 years, and he had other sons and daughters.

I think they decided it must have been his sister. However, after he kills Abel, God sends him away to roam the earth as punishment. Before doing so, He "marks" Cain so that no man can kill him.

What men?

Genesis 1:27-28
27 So God created human beings in his own image.
    In the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

28 Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground.”

God told Adam and Eve to have a bunch of kids and fill the earth.

Genesis 5

The Descendants of Adam
5 This is the written account of the descendants of Adam. When God created human beings, he made them to be like himself. 2 He created them male and female, and he blessed them and called them “human.”

3 When Adam was 130 years old, he became the father of a son who was just like him—in his very image. He named his son Seth. 4 After the birth of Seth, Adam lived another 800 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 5 Adam lived 930 years, and then he died.

6 When Seth was 105 years old, he became the father of Enosh. 7 After the birth of Enosh, Seth lived another 807 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 8 Seth lived 912 years, and then he died.

9 When Enosh was 90 years old, he became the father of Kenan. 10 After the birth of Kenan, Enosh lived another 815 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 11 Enosh lived 905 years, and then he died.

12 When Kenan was 70 years old, he became the father of Mahalalel. 13 After the birth of Mahalalel, Kenan lived another 840 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 14 Kenan lived 910 years, and then he died.

15 When Mahalalel was 65 years old, he became the father of Jared. 16 After the birth of Jared, Mahalalel lived another 830 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 17 Mahalalel lived 895 years, and then he died.

18 When Jared was 162 years old, he became the father of Enoch. 19 After the birth of Enoch, Jared lived another 800 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 20 Jared lived 962 years, and then he died.

21 When Enoch was 65 years old, he became the father of Methuselah. 22 After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch lived in close fellowship with God for another 300 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 23 Enoch lived 365 years, 24 walking in close fellowship with God. Then one day he disappeared, because God took him.

25 When Methuselah was 187 years old, he became the father of Lamech. 26 After the birth of Lamech, Methuselah lived another 782 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 27 Methuselah lived 969 years, and then he died.

28 When Lamech was 182 years old, he became the father of a son. 29 Lamech named his son Noah, for he said, “May he bring us relief from our work and the painful labor of farming this ground that the Lord has cursed.” 30 After the birth of Noah, Lamech lived another 595 years, and he had other sons and daughters. 31 Lamech lived 777 years, and then he died.

32 By the time Noah was 500 years old, he was the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Adam and Eve made a bunch of people and those people made a bunch of people.  There were lots of men that Cain could potentially encounter.

Later, within the ranks of the nation of Israel, God outlawed incestuous relationships that were initially permitted:

Leviticus 18:6-8
6 “You must never have sexual relations with a close relative, for I am the Lord.
7 “Do not violate your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; you must not have sexual relations with her.
8 “Do not have sexual relations with any of your father’s wives, for this would violate your father.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 08:10:29 AM »
Adam wouldn't but Jesus would have had nipples

Yes, you are right.  I was basically pointing out other unusual questions others focus on LOL.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
Also why did God make so many fucking planets if this is the only one with any fucking life? waste of time?

Bible never says that there isn't life on other planets. That isn't the point of the Bible, it is a historical record and life guide with examples of people in situations that made good and bad choices.

Case in point, there is no talk of dinosaurs in the bible either....but we know they existed don't we.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:24 AM »
Bible never says that there isn't life on other planets. That isn't the point of the Bible, it is a historical record and life guide with examples of people in situations that made good and bad choices.

Case in point, there is no talk of dinosaurs in the bible either....but we know they existed don't we.

That depends on how you interpret the following passages on "Behemoth" and "Leviathan":

Job 40:15-24

15 “Take a look at Behemoth,
    which I made, just as I made you.
    It eats grass like an ox.
16 See its powerful loins
    and the muscles of its belly.
17 Its tail is as strong as a cedar.
    The sinews of its thighs are knit tightly together.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze.
    Its limbs are bars of iron.
19 It is a prime example of God’s handiwork,
    and only its Creator can threaten it.
20 The mountains offer it their best food,
    where all the wild animals play.
21 It lies under the lotus plants,
    hidden by the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotus plants give it shade
    among the willows beside the stream.
23 It is not disturbed by the raging river,
    not concerned when the swelling Jordan rushes around it.
24 No one can catch it off guard
    or put a ring in its nose and lead it away.

Job 41
The Lord’s Challenge Continues
41 “Can you catch Leviathan with a hook
    or put a noose around its jaw?
2 Can you tie it with a rope through the nose
    or pierce its jaw with a spike?
3 Will it beg you for mercy
    or implore you for pity?
4 Will it agree to work for you,
    to be your slave for life?
5 Can you make it a pet like a bird,
    or give it to your little girls to play with?
6 Will merchants try to buy it
    to sell it in their shops?
7 Will its hide be hurt by spears
    or its head by a harpoon?
8 If you lay a hand on it,
    you will certainly remember the battle that follows.
    You won’t try that again!
9 No, it is useless to try to capture it.
    The hunter who attempts it will be knocked down.
10 And since no one dares to disturb it,
    who then can stand up to me?
11 Who has given me anything that I need to pay back?
    Everything under heaven is mine.

12 “I want to emphasize Leviathan’s limbs
    and its enormous strength and graceful form.
13 Who can strip off its hide,
    and who can penetrate its double layer of armor?
14 Who could pry open its jaws?
    For its teeth are terrible!
15 Its scales are like rows of shields
    tightly sealed together.
16 They are so close together
    that no air can get between them.
17 Each scale sticks tight to the next.
    They interlock and cannot be penetrated.

18 “When it sneezes, it flashes light!
    Its eyes are like the red of dawn.
19 Lightning leaps from its mouth;
    flames of fire flash out.
20 Smoke streams from its nostrils
    like steam from a pot heated over burning rushes.
21 Its breath would kindle coals,
    for flames shoot from its mouth.

22 “The tremendous strength in Leviathan’s neck
    strikes terror wherever it goes.
23 Its flesh is hard and firm
    and cannot be penetrated.
24 Its heart is hard as rock,
    hard as a millstone.
25 When it rises, the mighty are afraid,
    gripped by terror.
26 No sword can stop it,
    no spear, dart, or javelin.
27 Iron is nothing but straw to that creature,
    and bronze is like rotten wood.
28 Arrows cannot make it flee.
    Stones shot from a sling are like bits of grass.
29 Clubs are like a blade of grass,
    and it laughs at the swish of javelins.
30 Its belly is covered with scales as sharp as glass.
    It plows up the ground as it drags through the mud.

31 “Leviathan makes the water boil with its commotion.
    It stirs the depths like a pot of ointment.
32 The water glistens in its wake,
    making the sea look white.
33 Nothing on earth is its equal,
    no other creature so fearless.
34 Of all the creatures, it is the proudest.
    It is the king of beasts.”

Most young earth creationists refer to these passages as speaking of dinosaurs while most old earth creationists speak of these passages as referring to elephants/hippos and large crocodiles.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
lights and fire when sneezing? Scales ...sounds like they were describing a dragon more than a dinosaur.

Though I did read most thought it was possibly a Hippo being described as it was found in the waters of Jordan. Also reeds and tree shade is a favorite habitat of these animals and it does eat vegetable matter and the latter a crocodile as you mentioned.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
lights and fire when sneezing? Scales ...sounds like they were describing a dragon more than a dinosaur.

Though I did read most thought it was possibly a Hippo being described as it was found in the waters of Jordan. Also reeds and tree shade is a favorite habitat of these animals and it does eat vegetable matter and the latter a crocodile as you mentioned.

Exactly, Leviathan is described as fire-breathing dragon, but I don't know if the author (perhaps Job's friend Elihu) was was using symbolic language....I just don't know.  Me personally, I'm an old earth creationist and I tend to read hippo and crocodile into that.