Author Topic: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?  (Read 22690 times)

dustin

Re: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
Im with you bro. My life before my family (which consisted of working just enough to fund my partying/mild womanizing) seems empty and holllow compared to the life ive built with my wife.

having a good partner and building a family is an amazing and deeply satisfying experience. I cant imagine going through life alone anymore, when I was younger I thought id never get married, and thay getting married and having kids was gay as fuck. Its not, at all. My wife completes me.

I completely agree, and I can relate to the last part. Before I met my wife I always thought 100% that I'd never get married, but then I started courting her with the understanding that her parents would definitely want a wedding. I knew I would marry here before I even hugged her. I was committed right from the start because she's such an amazing woman. She's a fierce bitch, but she pushes me to do way better than I ever could have expected.

Basically, the way things work is that she'll tell me what goals she has and then I run with it. She always has good ideas and she sets the bar high. At first it would always scare me and I was apprehensive, but we've made such huge leaps and hit some awesome milestones. I trust her judgement finally and don't ever regret the things we do together. If it weren't for her kicking my ass, I'd be completely self-absorbed and not driven whatsoever. If I didn't listen to her ideas, I'd sit on the couch all day and never leave the house. I'm a hard worker, but I can be a bit lazy unless I'm given goals and a timeline so we balance each other out quite well.

I think people like us are incredibly lucky. I'd like to think I'm a really nice guy and could land a really nice girl, but I don't ever think I could find another woman as awesome as my wife in this lifetime. I lucked the fuck out. So doing the whole wedding thing was no big deal. In the end it was actually pretty fun. Glad to hear you guys have a good thing going to! 8)

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »
because life is about enjoying yourself.

you only live once.

do you want to live your entire life 'wanting' that big leather sectional, instead of that tiny microfiber one?

or wanting a king bed, instead you settle for a queen?

or driving a Honda accord and resenting the guys in the S Class Mercedes?

or watching tv on your little 42in plasma and resenting your friends when they have a 65in plasma?

Wow epic missing the point.

The point is to settle with a 42" and a Honda, work less and have more TIME to do stuff.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2014, 12:04:07 AM »
I completely agree, and I can relate to the last part. Before I met my wife I always thought 100% that I'd never get married, but then I started courting her with the understanding that her parents would definitely want a wedding. I knew I would marry here before I even hugged her. I was committed right from the start because she's such an amazing woman. She's a fierce bitch, but she pushes me to do way better than I ever could have expected.

Basically, the way things work is that she'll tell me what goals she has and then I run with it. She always has good ideas and she sets the bar high. At first it would always scare me and I was apprehensive, but we've made such huge leaps and hit some awesome milestones. I trust her judgement finally and don't ever regret the things we do together. If it weren't for her kicking my ass, I'd be completely self-absorbed and not driven whatsoever. If I didn't listen to her ideas, I'd sit on the couch all day and never leave the house. I'm a hard worker, but I can be a bit lazy unless I'm given goals and a timeline so we balance each other out quite well.

I think people like us are incredibly lucky. I'd like to think I'm a really nice guy and could land a really nice girl, but I don't ever think I could find another woman as awesome as my wife in this lifetime. I lucked the fuck out. So doing the whole wedding thing was no big deal. In the end it was actually pretty fun. Glad to hear you guys have a good thing going to! 8)

So your goal in life is to work a lot and buy a big house ?

You dont have any adventure in life you want to explore ?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »
Can't wait til Dustin and shocks kids turn out to be ingrate burnouts and squander everything :D

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2014, 12:37:46 AM »
Can't wait til Dustin and shocks kids turn out to be ingrate burnouts and squander everything :D

Nah, theyll inpire their kids with storys from their exciting life.

"Son I remember back in 2020 when I had worked hard for many years, I bought a brand new Mercedes"

Child: "Then what did you do ?"

"I started driving the Mercedes to work"

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2014, 12:40:26 AM »

The point is to settle with a 42" and a Honda, work less and have more TIME to do stuff.

No, the point is to acquire needlessly expensive trinkets and then brag about them online and IRL. And of course call everyone who is happy without being a mindless consumer lazy. Brilliant brainwashing by our corporate culture.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2014, 12:41:15 AM »

"Son I remember back in 2020 when I had worked hard for many years, I bought a brand new Mercedes"

:D

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »

;D Nice one.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 01:03:26 AM »
Brilliant brainwashing by our corporate culture.

Magazines and TV all part of it to ensure they get advertising.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 01:19:16 AM »
I find working 40 hours a complete waste of time. I only work my shitty job because it offers me good health insurance. Maybe if I had a better job I would have a different outlook.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2014, 01:35:44 AM »
I find working 40 hours a complete waste of time. I only work my shitty job because it offers me good health insurance. Maybe if I had a better job I would have a different outlook.

Oh, here's one: 

Position open.  Deep tissue massager wanted.  Inquire within.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2014, 01:39:46 AM »
Oh, here's one: 

Position open.  Deep tissue massager wanted.  Inquire within.

It's gay only if you want it to be right?

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 01:45:30 AM »
It's gay only if you want it to be right?

One can only say that one enjoys work if he could do the job also for free.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2014, 02:00:57 AM »
It's a means to and end.  If there was a better way to spend less time in the office, but have the means to do what you want, I'm sure most would.

No they wouldn't. I used to feel the same way, but what I have found over the years is that only a select few really want an alternative lifestyle of working less, but having more free time, along with more money.

They say they want it, ...but when push comes to shove, they're not willing to take the actions necessary to achieve this. They'd rather talk about it, ...but when it comes to actually taking the action steps to bring it into fruition, they instead opt for 'Dancing With The Stars"

The "system" has been extremely successful at pacifying & indoctrinating her slaves.

Just like the lifetime criminal who feels lost out in the real world who commits crimes in order to return to the familiar comfort of incarceration, most people welcome the familiarity of their slavery.
w

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2014, 02:05:38 AM »
One can only say that one enjoys work if he could do the job also for free.

That's my definition of a project.  Something that you do in your spare time but which isn't classified as fucking around leisure.

There's a lot to be said for projects and tinkering, whether physically or just intellectually.  Following your nose helps clarify your interests and uncover new ones.  (Danger: Road Without End.)  Even a failed project or one which never gets off the back burner (yes, I need more time) is gratifying because I learn so much along the way.

You want to spend less in order to work less so you can have more time for 'stuff.'  Ok.  What stuff in particular?  I agree that money and marketability isn't a measure of worth.  Without regard to earning potential, what stuff do you want to do?

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2014, 02:12:46 AM »

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

This never gets old.
A

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »
People do what makes them happy (broad, subjective term) within the constraints of the system.

Because of the subjective nature of happiness, and the choices that flow from this definition, different people will view each others choices through the prism of their own reality, and either agree or disagree with that person's decisions.

Despite what you may hear, people never change and the universe is indifferent. So, do what makes you happy (providing it does no harm to others) and don't give a fuck what other people think.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:32 AM »
If you want to live the good life stay single, don't have any kids and save your money

What exactly are you saving your money for? Do you have plans or goals that you want to make happen with that money or is your purpose strictly the pursuit of money itself?

If you want to live fruitless life with no children then you better have some big dreams you want to dedicate your life to.

A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2014, 02:27:24 AM »
Become self employed if possible. "Work" should be a passion.

This is what I want to do.

Problem is having an idea for a business that wont fold the first year.
A

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2014, 02:27:46 AM »
Exactly...this makes sense. However most people are so hopelessy indoctrinated they have zero ability to actually think for themselves.

Whenever i try to point these things out to someone, the reaction is always a brief silence coupled with a confused stare...followed by them falling back to the old standby of 'thats weird...no..thats just crazy..no.uh..uh...just no'

Most people are sheep and need to be told what to do and what to think.

These were the results the so-called "education" system was designed to produce.
It's a system of debt slavery, and churns people out to become selves to a system

There's a better way, ...but when anyone trys to tell people about it, they are viciously attacked or silenced.

You can learn more at http://www.ViewTheInfo.com
w

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2014, 02:37:06 AM »
Cant be any worse than I was in my twenties, loser, junkie, burned out drug addict.  :D

Im trying to figure out if its best to tell him and try and educate him or if I should not let on the issues I had... Addiction/Alcoholism runs in my family and I don't want him to walk my line, thats for sure.

Oh, and we live very modestly and don't really stress about how much money we make... we live within our means and enjoy a simple life, because when I was younger I burned out on the "rat race" and decided I would never again work a job I hated just because it paid well. Money =/= happiness

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 02:59:38 AM »

That is AWESOME!!!  :)

Instead of achieving to be happy, ...you're inspired, ...and therefore happily achieving!
w

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:14 AM »
It's all good in the clitoral hood!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:47 AM »

Hmmm... I dunno Kofo. From my perspective, it might be YOU missing the point?

Who is to say these things are mutually exclusive?

It absolutely is possible to work less, have more TIME to do stuff WITHOUT having to "settle" for less.

If all someone wants is a 42" that's fine, but why should someone "settle" for less than what they want if it is within their power to achieve it?

Let's look at it another way. What if someone said to you, what's the point of backpacking across Europe, seeing the 7 wonders of the world, scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef, or spending quality time finding sea shells on the beach with your little ones, ...when you can instead settle for seeing pictures in Condé Nast, or kissing your sleeping baby when you come home from work? If you settle for working yourself to the bone, never travel, or spend time with your loved ones, you'll at least have a few 60" flat screens to see footage of Machu Pichu, and you'll at least be able to own a 6,000 sf house?

Would YOU be willing to "settle". No you wouldn't, because its not what YOU want for your life is it?

I'll never understand why it is that when people decide what they want for their lives, ...they somehow expect everyone else to want the same thing, ...and somehow think there's something wrong with them if they don't.

If backpacking through Europe on a shoestring works for you... more power to you.
If someone has goals towards which they're both inspired & willing to work hard to achieve... more power to them

There's nothing wrong with hard work, ...unless one is able to achieve the same results by working smarter.
w

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2014, 03:32:16 AM »
Hmmm... I dunno Kofo. From my perspective, it might be YOU missing the point?

Who is to say these things are mutually exclusive?

It absolutely is possible to work less, have more TIME to do stuff WITHOUT having to "settle" for less.

If all someone wants is a 42" that's fine, but why should someone "settle" for less than what they want if it is within their power to achieve it?

Let's look at it another way. What if someone said to you, what's the point of backpacking across Europe, seeing the 7 wonders of the world, scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef, or spending quality time finding sea shells on the beach with your little ones, ...when you can instead settle for seeing pictures in Condé Nast, or kissing your sleeping baby when you come home from work? If you settle for working yourself to the bone, never travel, or spend time with your loved ones, you'll at least have a few 60" flat screens to see footage of Machu Pichu, and you'll at least be able to own a 6,000 sf house?

Would YOU be willing to "settle". No you wouldn't, because its not what YOU want for your life is it?

I'll never understand why it is that when people decide what they want for their lives, ...they somehow expect everyone else to want the same thing, ...and somehow think there's something wrong with them if they don't.

If backpacking through Europe on a shoestring works for you... more power to you.
If someone has goals towards which they're both inspired & willing to work hard to achieve... more power to them

There's nothing wrong with hard work, ...unless one is able to achieve the same results by working smarter.

I dont really care about how other people live.

I simply honestly dont understand WHY people work to get a bigger TV, house and car. Whats so great about about that compared to having more TIME ?