Author Topic: Impact-less cardio?  (Read 2972 times)

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
Impact-less cardio?
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:29:40 AM »
    I’ve developed this nagging problem with running on the treadmill, either pain in my knees or this darn awful shin splints and I was considering switching over to various forms of impact-less cardio, most notably the a recumbent bike(I have one at home) and the elliptical machine at the gym at nights.

Now my question. Is this form of cardio as effective as running\the treadmill?

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: Impact-less cardio?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 05:48:53 AM »
In a word: NO.  In the order of effectiveness, it goes something like: running outside, running on treadmill, upright cardio machine, seated cardio machine.  This is NOT to say, however, that you can't get results using the bike- you can.  You just make sure to make the workout HARD or it just won't compare to good ol' running.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:03:32 AM »
Might try a Spinning class. Good Luck

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 08:56:35 AM »
Running's definitely the best, but injuries are a factor. Bike, especially recumbent, is the least effective option, would require something like Spinning. Spinning almost always involves conventional bikes, because they're more effective. Recumbents use less muscles and aren't as demanding, but might work if more time's expended.

Other alternatives-stepper, elliptical, rower, skier, swimming, are more intense, closer to running.

Key is to use whatever motivates you to stick with it on a regular basis.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 09:14:32 AM »
Recumbent bike is great. do intervals and up the resistance whenever you can. i've seen better results from the rec bike than most other forms of cardio. running is good but very hard on your lower body if you have a little mass on you.

the more muscles you use the better. swimming is the best form IMO. when i cut i use the bike, swim and do sprints once a week. keep it simple and less boring by changing it up. running is the last thing i'll do for cardio.

8)

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
Go swimming.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
Ice your shins daily after your workouts and be sure to stretch alot- I mean alot!!!!!!!!!.  See

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.htm

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2Shinsplints.asp

Switch to deep or regular water running (THE BEST/no impact) or if it doesn't hurt--only running on soft trails outside at a very easy pace until the pain is lessened. If you pump your arms you can get a great workout in the water -- more powerful and tougher than biking, with less impact. As others said---swimming works too!

Shin splints are from running either too hard or too long too soon without the muscles adapting to speed or distance, or poor/old footwear.  Check your shoes...that can also account for knee issues and is an easy fix.

Good thing you are taking care of this by modifying your activity---If you keep running on it-- you can get a  stress fracture of tibialis which will mean a cast and no running for months. You don't wanna go there, trust me!

Good luck!
Runnerbabe

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »
hey runnerbabe is that stretching website for injuries, or does it have all sorts of good stretches in it (and most importantly, is it free?)?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
I've never been able to get rid of shin splints, and highly doubt that the prescriptions of warm up, stretching and softer surfaces makes a difference. Does anyone know of anyone who's actually benefited from this?

Are the sites free? Why don't you go crazy and click on em.. ???

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »
busy.  no clicky unless i know what i'm getting into.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 06:06:54 PM »
Some people confuse a Spinning cycle with a regular exercise bike, worlds of difference. Even by turning the resistence control knob a little you can change the resistence to hill climbing (low, medium or steep hills) or just about any other on the road condition much more so, in real time, than on a exercise bike. Spinning, in my view, is best done with-in a class unless you are very motivated and can keep the pace up by yourself to the high level that is required. Ideal way to get and hold the MHR (maxium Heart Rate) during training.  Interval training, such as the Tabata Protocol, with its intense 20 second interval (usually above the 150%+ of VO2max) and 10 second rest periods between, has proven to be an execellent way to build stamina and burn fat, with Spinning in mind. The VO2max and the anaerobic capacity (oxygen debt & lactic acid buildup give the opportunity to adjust to exercise stress) can reached a very high level in a relative short time. Usually 6 to 8 sets/cycles (max effort-20 seconds...rest period-10 seconds) for a duration of 4 minutes or so, give outstanding results with at least a 3 day a week workout, more may be better.. There are other simular programs that fit into this style of HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training)    giving the fact that endless hours of true running, threadmill work, etc are not that effective when the goal is to lose fat and hold onto (or even increase) the muscular bulk.

Adapting the Tabata Protocol, or other HIIT methods, to weight training can be ideal. A few selected BB/DB movements are execellent for those fat burning/keeping muscle mass goals. And a weight training protocol is quite easy to setup. Good Luck.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
Yeah, I though swimming was the best kind of cardio? I know laps wear me out like nothing else.
S

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 07:05:07 AM »
One would think it depends on your cardio goals.  My goal is to cut, yet keep the most muscle possible so something that keeps my heart rate relatively low and has less impact such as eliptical is perfect for me. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 07:25:50 AM »
I just do the bike, as that is all the old carcass can handle these days. No big cardio sessions, just a certain time before and after workouts -ie. a good warm-up and a bit at the end to finish off. Having said this, the diet that I have/follow is absolutely critical to keeping the fat to a minimum and to keep the muscle growing. The older I get the more important the diet aspect is revealing itself to me. If I were you, I would try to nail the diet.  There is lots of good info on this site regarding this. Best of luck.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 12:10:49 PM »
Best option: If one is serious than get into a Spin class. Fat loss is speeded up quickly with the adjustment of resistence (Intensity=Hill climbing..speed training, etc) of the Spin Cycle.  Though a regular exercise bike is OK. it is very limited to what it can accomplish. And like flat track running, very boring. A recumbert bike/machine, for those with knee/shin problems, offers a better selection than running and with less chance of injury. And might consider interval training to shorten exercise time and speed up getting the results you want, without any serious muscle loss. Good Luck.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 12:49:20 PM »
FYI:  Running, walking and any other exercise done on your feet promotes bone strength.  Other exercises like cycling and swimming DO NOT.

Running may burn calories, but it destroys your joints as you age.  Walking everyday for 30 minutes plus lifting weights and eating clean is the best way to get fit and stay fit for the rest of your life.  What ever you do to get in great shape now is what you'll have to do for the rest of your life to stay in great shape.  So choose your life style now and stick with it.  Can you run like a maniac every morning for the rest of your life in order to keep you body fat low?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 08:24:33 PM »
A regular stationary exercise bike with adjustable resistance will work at home-the biggest difference with a Spin class is the collective intensity provided by the instructor & participants.

To do this at home it would help a lot to have a training partner to approximate the same effect. By yourself it's harder but not impossible.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 11:24:40 AM »
hey runnerbabe is that stretching website for injuries, or does it have all sorts of good stretches in it (and most importantly, is it free?)?

Yes it's free.... and has all types of stretching not just for injuries.