Author Topic: Being lied to  (Read 20384 times)

HowDog

• Getbig II
Being lied to
« on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »
I might be alone on this one but doesn't it seem wrong for a guy on all the gear in the world to endorse a product.  It is bullshit advertising.  Because every 15 yr old kid sees the ad and assumes that the supplement will get them to that size.  Then they eventually find out the truth and stop buying the supplements.  but the industry doesn't care because they are on to the next idiot who is willing to spend 150/month on creatine and ammino.  Just an observation.   

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: Being lied to
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
If anyone believes they can look like a pro without steroids then they deserved to get scammed. And if you're too young to know any better and thats your biggest dissapoinment in life than consider yourself lucky.

midknight

• Getbig IV
  • Soon, you will know the meaning of pain.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:31:33 AM »
Have you seen the new Xenedrine ad in FLEX? It's half a pic of Titus - minus head, just a shot of his arm pit. Talk about dumb F**ks running the ad dept.

And yes – you have to wonder about false advertising laws and how it could be applied to BB.
 ??? :P ::)
pain day

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:33:06 AM »
ya it wrong but they want there money

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 11:33:55 AM »
is howdog howie?

E
E

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:34:41 AM »
The supplement industry owes its continued existence to the statement that was attributed to P.T. Barnum over a hundred years ago:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Actually it wasn't Barnum who said it, but one of his competitors.  But it's still true and the supplement industry is living proof.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:39:17 AM »
I might be alone on this one but doesn't it seem wrong for a guy on all the gear in the world to endorse a product.  It is bullshit advertising.  Because every 15 yr old kid sees the ad and assumes that the supplement will get them to that size.  Then they eventually find out the truth and stop buying the supplements.  but the industry doesn't care because they are on to the next idiot who is willing to spend 150/month on creatine and ammino.  Just an observation.   

"Doesn't it seem wrong?" . . . it is wrong, man, plain and simple. As soon as we get over the fact that Santa Claus was created soley for commercial purposes, we then discover that we won't end up looking like Cutler, Dexter or whoever by taking the Cell-Tech Nitro-Trech stack.  It's a cruel cruel world.  :'(    

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
is howdog howie?

E
                    Yes

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
be patient, Howie, i'm sure a number of pros will respond to your thread and explain their ethics behind their supplement endorsements.

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 12:03:06 PM »
Yeah I won't hold my breath.  Then again Chick "always tells it like it is", maybe he will se me straight

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 12:09:11 PM »
Supplements work different on everybody. :-\
Some people they have no effect :'(
Sure, one person can make claim that with out this or that they would never have been this or that.
However, in the grand scheme of things, how can one person judge what a Product does for another person when we really can't measure the contibuting factors ???
Example: I take Brand  X Protien Powder to improve my Muscularity:
In concert with that  product, I do the following:
Train harder
Never miss Meals
Reduce Carb Intake
Up my Cario Out put
Take on better Training Partners
Take my Supplements
Prepare All my Meals
Challenge myself every work out
Work toward a Deadline or Contest Date
Clean Up my Diet
Use BBing Drugs

* Remember, lots of people use Drugs and their bodies look like crap and see no results at all :'(

So you see, it would be very hard to measure what if any contibution a product has regarding the improvements.
However, one thing is for certain, the entire approach to training and nutrition changed as a result of adding Brand X Product.
Therefore end result IMPROVEMENT! ;D
In the end, if the product or brand of product gets the praise for the improvement, everybody is happy! Who's to say otherwise regarding what role or effectiveness of Product Brand X had or didn't have?
You can point to Drugs being the reason a person makes progress and watch from the sidelines or you can find the trigger points (Supplements, Gym Membership, Protien Powder, training Partner or Drugs) and make a move to improve your self image whether it is for competition or the summer beach party! Either way, who cares what someone else is taking or doing, we all have Free Will and wondering about others gets you nowwhere except where your at. 8)
My two cents.
S. Ray

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 12:13:37 PM »
I don't know about you, but I'm used to being lied to.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »

* Remember, lots of people use Drugs and their bodies look like crap and see no results at all :'(

S. Ray

the 15 year old naive kid reading the supplement ads in the mags probably isn't taking bodybuilding drugs

OAK

• Getbig V
  • "I'm a business GENIUS."
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »
Is Nike lying when they use Michael Jordan to advertise basketball shoes?  The shoes won't put you in the NBA?

???

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 12:17:02 PM »
You'd be surprised at what they're taking these days son. :o
Dont bury your head in the sand, I do seminars at high schools around the country and get asked by 15 years Steroid questions all the time by kids who are presently using them.
Sad but true.
S. Ray

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
Howie what happend to your old account?
Z

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
The shoes wont put you in the NBA but when you get there A NIKE Deal maybe waiting for you!
Right Le Bron!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 12:19:31 PM »
Supplements work different on everybody. :-\
Some people they have no effect :'(
Sure, one person can make claim that with out this or that they would never have been this or that.
However, in the grand scheme of things, how can one person judge what a Product does for another person when we really can't measure the contibuting factors ???
Example: I take Brand  X Protien Powder to improve my Muscularity:
In concert with that  product, I do the following:
Train harder
Never miss Meals
Reduce Carb Intake
Up my Cario Out put
Take my Supplements
Prepare All my Meals
Clean Up my Diet
Use BBing Drugs

So you see, it would be very hard to measure what if any contibution a product has regarding the improvements.
However, one thing is for certain, the entire approach to training and nutrition changed as a result of adding Brand X Product.
Therefore end result IMPROVEMENT! ;D
In the end, if the product or brand of product gets the praise for the improvement, everybody is happy! Who's to say otherwise regarding what role or effectiveness of Product Brand X had or didn't have?
You can point to Drugs being the reason a person makes progress and watch from the sidelines or you can find the trigger points (Supplements, Gym Membership, Protien Powder, training Partner or Drugs) and make a move to improve your self image whether it is for competition or the summer beach party! Either way, who cares what someone else is taking or doing, we all have Free Will and wondering about others gets you nowwhere except where your at. 8)
My two cents.
S. Ray

I applaud your response at least you have the courage and conviction to stand up for your beliefs.  I know you endorse supps (probably longer than I have been training) but you endorse in a responsible way, but these other clowns is are really trying to dupe the public especially young high school kids.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »
I hope musicians do not endorse instruments, I would hate to see Joe Satriani pose with a guitar and break some kids heart when he found out he can't play as well when he gets home from the shop  :P

Z

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 12:21:43 PM »
what do you mean bluto?

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »
Howie what happend to your old account?

I'm guessing mid life crisis. He just wanted a cooler name......

Mission Failed!  :-\

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 12:23:08 PM »
Why would a kid expect to look like a pro cause a pro recommends supplements? Why would a kid expect to become Metallicas new bass player just because he plays the same bass?

I don't see the logic in this.
Z

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »
Bluto does have a point.
you can be a Pencil neck, take supplements and expect to be in the Pro's without the other part such as: Time,Genetics, Motivation, Goal, Drive, Pain Tolerance, Balance, Handle Defeat & Set backs,Discipline, Finances, Resources, Support, Desire, Will Power, Shape, Structure, Patience and more.
S. Ray

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 12:25:20 PM »
Example: I take Brand  X Protien Powder to improve my Muscularity:
In concert with that  product, I do the following:
Train harder
Never miss Meals
Reduce Carb Intake
Up my Cario Out put
Take my Supplements
Prepare All my Meals
Clean Up my Diet
Use BBing Drugs

S. Ray

Ha ha ha, listing "using BBing Drugs" on par with "taking on better training partners" is laughable.  But, sure, if the supplement ads were to acknowledge the use of BBing drugs in their fine print (like you do above, eventhough you downplay it) then the naive teen consumer wouldn't be grossly mislead like is the case now.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 12:28:25 PM »
Obviously there's some false claims in advertising, but that's nothing new, can't take long for a kid these days to find out that they didn't get 20" guns after a couple of boxes of supplements. So what's the worst that could happen? They spent hundred bucks on supplements instead of the latest videogame for the X-box.  ::)
Z