Author Topic: Leg Press calf raises  (Read 4263 times)

texhawk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Leg Press calf raises
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
should be outlawed and anyone caught doing them when a standing raise machine is less than 20 feet away should have their gym privledges revoked.  Had to wait 20 minutes while this dill did sets of 50.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Leg Press calf raises
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »
haha thats shitty man
bodybuildersreality.com

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »
I do them. But only because there's no standing leg press at my gym :D
But in your case, I agree.
Z

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:31:54 PM »
my gym doesnt have a stand calf raise machine. but they do have a  45 degree calf raise. its the same as a leg press calf but backwards.. where the platform is on a leg press the seat is there...but its kinda weak.....bc it goies up to  5 plates per side. the only time i would do them. is when ppl are doing like  10sets to go on the smith machine

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »
yeah i've done them before but i try to do them last and not if the gym is super busy....but my new gym has 2 leg press machines
bodybuildersreality.com

stefanogym

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:49:58 AM »
i love the icarian donkey calf machine

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 12:31:05 PM »
Me and my partner just ask how many they got left and stand right by them and they usually leave..........LOL. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:33:27 AM »
That's theonly way I do them besides the seated.  If I ever see someone waiting I will always ask them if they want to work in.  I have never had a problem with that.  I like it actually cause it gives me more time to rest.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
I do Leg Press calve raises after i do both standing and seated calve raises, because my gym doesn't have a donkey calve raise machine.

I always let people work in who want to leg press.  If i feel like the rest period is too long, i either do 2 sets to their one or some bodyweight standing calve raises on any random apparatus nearby. 
:-)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 07:37:49 AM »
Whatever works; don't get stuck on having to do them a certain way unless it's justified.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 08:57:13 AM »
I used to lift with a guy whos routine was seated, standing, and leg press calve raises..... he is one of those guys you would catch using the leg press machine for calf raises when there were open standing calf raise machines.  I never questioned him on it... his calves were nicely devloped.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 02:52:52 AM »
           My gym has a horizontal leg press machine, where you lie flat on your back and push the weight straight up. I read somewhere that this machine is bad for heavy leg presses, as you cannot breathe correctly, and that it could lead to a stroke. Well almost no one uses it for leg presses, but I love to do it for calf raises. I like them better than any other calf exercise there is.
           I use a four day split, but do my calves twice, and I go 2 on, 1 off. The first calf workout I do 5 sets of raises on the horizontal leg press, then 5 sets of seated raises. The next calf workout, I'll do 5 sets of standing calf raises on the machine, and 5 sets of the donkey calf machine.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
           My gym has a horizontal leg press machine, where you lie flat on your back and push the weight straight up. I read somewhere that this machine is bad for heavy leg presses, as you cannot breathe correctly, and that it could lead to a stroke.

Man, that could fuck up your training.
The House that Ruth built

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 03:08:09 PM »
           My gym has a horizontal leg press machine, where you lie flat on your back and push the weight straight up. I read somewhere that this machine is bad for heavy leg presses, as you cannot breathe correctly, and that it could lead to a stroke. Well almost no one uses it for leg presses, but I love to do it for calf raises. I like them better than any other calf exercise there is.

seems like it would work well....plus, it's a classic, no doubt about that.
:-)