Author Topic: An oppurtunity for a unique training split  (Read 2747 times)

wrestle@145

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
An oppurtunity for a unique training split
« on: January 17, 2006, 07:16:43 PM »
can someone give some info/post a split that involves lifting twice a day? i am required to lift in the morning for an hour anyways and im pretty interested in trying something new. any advice/info is much appreciated

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: An oppurtunity for a unique training split
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:24:19 PM »
can someone give some info/post a split that involves lifting twice a day? i am required to lift in the morning for an hour anyways and im pretty interested in trying something new. any advice/info is much appreciated
This is my favorite routine for hitting everything 2xwk, it doesn't require lifting twice every day, but it is a good solid routine. I will normally implement this routine 1-2x per year. If I use it during a bulking phase it is usually only for 6-8wks, but I normally reserve it for dieting phases.

Mon: a.m back & bi's
         p.m. shoulders

Tues: legs

Wed: chest & tri's

Thur: a.m back & bi's
         p.m. shoulders

Fri: legs

Sat: chest & tri's

The days where I don't lift twice I usually lift in the afternoon and do abs in the morning along with cardio.  If you choose this type of routine make sure your eating enough and more importantly make sure your sleeping patterns are in good order. I've found that on this routine I do a bit better with more sleep than normal, and will regularly grab a quick 30-45 nap every day along with 8-9hrs of sleep at night.

Last off, keep these training sessions short and to the point, which you should be doing anyway. When training each bodypart 1x per wk I prefer high volume, but with a 2x per wk split it's a more moderate level.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »
but I normally reserve it for dieting phases.

How come?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:18:56 PM »
How come?
I just typically have more success with my training that way. I do better bulking sticking with a standard 1x wk routine, but will jump it up 2x wk sometimes if I am stagnating. When dieting it's simple, the progress is better, I seem to lean out better with a 2x wk routine, as well as appear fuller and harder. I have no scientific reasoning as to why this works better for me this way, all I know is that it does.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »
That seems alittle odd to me. But if thats what works for you then why mess with it.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:54:32 AM »
That seems alittle odd to me. But if thats what works for you then why mess with it.
What's odd about it?

wrestle@145

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »
Thanks arny, thats pretty much what i was looking for. i think training 2x a day 6 days a week would have been a little overkill but your suggestion seems like it will be a good fit. You said that you like to use moderate intensity with this though, what are your rep ranges? I am just worried that i may over train if im not careful. thanks again

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
Thanks arny, thats pretty much what i was looking for. i think training 2x a day 6 days a week would have been a little overkill but your suggestion seems like it will be a good fit. You said that you like to use moderate intensity with this though, what are your rep ranges? I am just worried that i may over train if im not careful. thanks again
My rep ranges stay almost always in the 8-12 range, but I will occasionally drop down to 6 reps for set on my basic movements. I never do 1rep max lifts for 2 reasons: 1st there not all that beneficial to my training goals, strength is not my #1 priority, although what added strength I gain is a nice plus. 2nd, in the past when I would do a 1rep max I would become susceptible to injury, and an injury is not something I want...I got enough of those earlier on in my training.

For your amount of sets you do on a 2x per wk program, for starters just take the amount you would do on a 1x wk split and cut in in half, that way you'll still be getting the same amount of work your accustomed too. After you've done that for a while you can adjust where you see fit, if you find it helpful to add a couple of sets go ahead and give it a try.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »
What's odd about it?

Well, I figure you can and should train harder on a bulk and during a cut our main goal is to preserve the muscle we have. But I read your above post and noticed that you do the same amount of work with either type of routine. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:48:07 PM »
Well, I figure you can and should train harder on a bulk and during a cut our main goal is to preserve the muscle we have. But I read your above post and noticed that you do the same amount of work with either type of routine. 
I actually train harder during a diet then while bulking. Don't get me wrong, I don't slack and take it easy while bulking, but while dieting I'll use super-sets and drop sets much more often, especially towards the later half of the diet. Also when in diet mode, my rest between sets is considerably shorter. I keep a pretty fast pace when bulking, but it's turned up a notch for diet training.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 05:13:23 AM »
If you're gonna lift twice a day, IMO it's a good idea to train EOD, and train two or more muscle groups every workout. Which means you won't do as many sets each workout for each muscle group, but instead you will hit each muscle group more frequently.

Ideally, you'd train the whole body in one day. Either split half of it in the morning, and the rest in the evening, or a full body workout but fewer sets both AM/PM.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise