Author Topic: Is Jordan the only athlete that ever lived up to or surpassed the hype?  (Read 8302 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Is Jordan the only athlete that ever lived up to or surpassed the hype?
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
You can't say "after a handful of games, he was the most popular player in the NBA as a rookie" and call it hype. He was popular early on because it was quite evident he was the most exciting and maybe already most talented player in the league.  That's not hype, that's just playing good.  He had no more hype coming into the league than any other high draft pick gets every year, outside of LeBron and perhaps Wilt Chamberlain (I wasn't alive back then).

What I don't get is why he didnt have more hype, or wasn't chosen before Bowie.watching the Olympic and pre Olympic warmups that summer before the draft, and the way he schooled the nba stars when the Olympic team played them for  warmups.watching it now it was clear his reflexes, 1st step,lateral speed, vertical jump, quickness, ball handling, jump shot etc were on another level, seriously he was almost catlike in his athletic abilities.How could anyone not see it?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
What I don't get is why he didnt have more hype, or wasn't chosen before Bowie.watching the Olympic and pre Olympic warmups that summer before the draft, and the way he schooled the nba stars when the Olympic team played them for  warmups.watching it now it was clear his reflexes, 1st step,lateral speed, vertical jump, quickness, ball handling, jump shot etc were on another level, seriously he was almost catlike in his athletic abilities.How could anyone not see it?

Chicago did. Like I already said, if there were drafting #1 that year they still would've taken Jordan with the first pick. But Houston and Portland needed and wanted big men, that's why they chose Olajuwan and Bowie ahead of him. Portland already had Clyde Drexler at shooting guard and wanted a big fella since Bill Walton didn't amount to shit because of injuries.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
Overcame a Boston Crab submission hold and headbutt from the top ropes to beat Bam Bam Bigelow at Wrestlemania as well.

;D Brilliant.

What's more, did it all while high as hell on crack.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »
Maybe my friend, but Army of One doesn't just 'happen' upon the sports that are filled with 90% big black men with very loose shorts

;D

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »
There's a fella named Lebron James who is just as good if not better than his pre NBA hype. No one predicted his abilities as a passer and basically becoming 6' 8" point guard.
No one.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »
There's a fella named Lebron James who is just as good if not better than his pre NBA hype. No one predicted his abilities as a passer and basically becoming 6' 8" point guard.
No one.

One of the smarter getbiggers

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
No one.

Magic Johnson was just as good as Lebron, neither rank as the greatest of all-time.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
No one.

Since when?his passing was hyped before he even entered the nba, as was his ability to be able to play point gaurd.he bombed out of his first 2 finals appearances, and was only saved last year by a complete meltdown from the spurs in the final 30 seconds and a Ray Alan 3 pointer, otherwise he'd have been going home after game 6.Jordan never let it go to a game 7 in any of his 6/6 finals.

Oggie Oglethorpe

• Getbig II
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »
For a little perspective, a quick comparison can be made.

NHL record for goals prior to expansion = 58 by Bobby Hull
MLB record for home runs = 61 by Roger Maris

Generally a goal equates to a HR, even though baseball plays 162 games and hockey plays 82. For the two sports an assist and an RBI are comparable, except with baseball's longer schedule players will have twice as many RBI's as hockey players will.

NHL record for assists prior to Gretzky = 102 by Bobby Orr
MLB record for RBIs = 191 by Hack Wilson

Gretzky's records (92 goals in a season and 163 assists in a season) would roughly be the equivalent of a baseball player hitting 100 home runs and having 300 RBIs.

Think about that for a minute.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
I can honestly say I didn't think this guy would be any good at all. First player drafted out of high school since Darryl Dawkins in 1975. I felt he was too skinny and would get pushed around. He wasn't intimidated by anybody, kicked ass and took names at 18-19 yrs old vs all the big men.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »
christian laettner back to back duke champion chips and olympic gold medal winner
will perdue 5 nba rings
danny ferry
Quin Snyder
michel jorden
kevin mchale
larry bird
A

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »

in my mind, the true greats can win games by themselves, consistently, time and again. they have elevated themselves to a point of ability that no one can forsee anyone following in their footsteps in that profession, or another talent of that level coming along in our lifetime.

1. wayne gretzky. wiki his name and see his body of work. some would argue that he was protected by the league. i grew up watching him. he wasnt protected by any one other than marty mcsorley. he made scoring goals and play making look effortless. you had to see him play to know what i mean. i dont even have the words to explain it. it was as if god himself touched the shoulder of gretzky. there will never be another wayne gretzky.

2. michael jordan. if you had a chance just to watch him play you'd know there will never EVER be another jordan. EVER.

3. mike tyson in his prime before cus died. he was a phenom. nobody will ever step in the ring with that much power, anger, speed and pure ability all in the same package. there will never be another prime mike tyson. he was so scary he admitted most of his fights were won before he even got in the ring. that is pure dominance.

4. ray lewis. some say LT. nobody was more feared then RL in his prime. nobody has been more feared since. nobody has now, back in the day, or since that kind of closing speed or could go sideline to sideline like ray lewis. i honestly cannot see another football player coming along regardless of position that was a dominant as ray lewis. most players rely on a supporting cast to win games- RL could win games by himself.

b

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
in my mind, the true greats can win games by themselves, consistently, time and again. they have elevated themselves to a point of ability that no one can forsee anyone following in their footsteps in that profession, or another talent of that level coming along in our lifetime.

1. wayne gretzky. wiki his name and see his body of work. some would argue that he was protected by the league. i grew up watching him. he wasnt protected by any one other than marty mcsorley. he made scoring goals and play making look effortless. you had to see him play to know what i mean. i dont even have the words to explain it. it was as if god himself touched the shoulder of gretzky. there will never be another wayne gretzky.

2. michael jordan. if you had a chance just to watch him play you'd know there will never EVER be another jordan. EVER.

3. mike tyson in his prime before cus died. he was a phenom. nobody will ever step in the ring with that much power, anger, speed and pure ability all in the same package. there will never be another prime mike tyson. he was so scary he admitted most of his fights were won before he even got in the ring. that is pure dominance.

4. ray lewis. some say LT. nobody was more feared then RL in his prime. nobody has been more feared since. nobody has now, back in the day, or since that kind of closing speed or could go sideline to sideline like ray lewis. i honestly cannot see another football player coming along regardless of position that was a dominant as ray lewis. most players rely on a supporting cast to win games- RL could win games by himself.

Great list. Especially on Ray.

I played linebacker prior to D end. Ray was my hero. Motivator/murderer etc.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
Another one. Anybody remember back in the day every college football Saturday espn had a "faulk watch" during the games monitoring how many yards he was rushing for? Got the league and shredded it. Def lived up to the hype. Hall of fame.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
Yeah Faulk was a monster. Can't imagine that San Diego state was the only school to offer him a full scholarship. Suprising choice of college since he's coming from New Orleans and SEC country.

Should've won the Heisman over Gino Toretta in 1992.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »
The premise of this thread is wrong.  Jordan wasn't hyped coming into the league anywhere near what Kobe and Lebron were.  Jordan got showered with attention based on his play.  Later on in his career he became an icon once he started winning titles.  Kobe and Lebron on the other hand were labeled as possible Jordan level talents and they both then lived up to that hype.  They had shoe deals before they played a game in the NBA.  Jordan hit a clutch shot in the 1982 NCAA Championship but he wasn't setting the world on fire in college.  When he hit the NBA people had no idea how good he would become.  Apples and oranges.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
I can honestly say I didn't think this guy would be any good at all. First player drafted out of high school since Darryl Dawkins in 1975. I felt he was too skinny and would get pushed around. He wasn't intimidated by anybody, kicked ass and took names at 18-19 yrs old vs all the big men.

Kemp didnt go to college either, though he enrolled but never went

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
Kemp didnt go to college either, though he enrolled but never went

The Reign Man.....that dude brought it to the rim like no other

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
Yeah Faulk was a monster. Can't imagine that San Diego state was the only school to offer him a full scholarship. Suprising choice of college since he's coming from New Orleans and SEC country.

Should've won the Heisman over Gino Toretta in 1992.

yep that 92 ceremony was a straight up robbery. I think faulk mentioned everybody wanted to turn him into a wr except san diego st going into college. smh. Dude was awesome. I remember that one pro bowl he made the D look like absolute clowns...smh. Ultra Running Back.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »
for a skinny rag doll of a guy Gretzky accomplished amazing things

I'll second that.

Oggie Oglethorpe

• Getbig II
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »

Good list.....except Gretzky was protected by Dave Semenko initially, who was twice as nasty as Marty.

(1) Gretzky
(2) Ali
(3) Jerry Rice
(4) Edwin Moses

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »

I wish we could meet up and talk about this for hours.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »

Good list but I would go with Three other Linebackers.

LT - Changed the way offense had to block.

Butkus - just dominated everything

Lambert - my all time favorite. Not the biggest guy but intimidated everyone and was a major part of the best defense in football history. The Steel Curtain. This guy was so intense in the day, would be ejected by today's game standard.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Mike tyson.

I have to say he looked good against bum fighters, he looked ridicilous knocking them out senseless.
His fights were hand picked. If he did what he did in the 80's to Lennox lewis i would have him as the best ever.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
Phil Taylor.

End of thread.
P