Author Topic: Bar position on squats  (Read 15264 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Bar position on squats
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
I rest the Bar on my traps, not too low but i feel it gives me a better lift and centre of gravity. small things are important and in lifts like squats i see Young guys resting the bar too high.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Bar position on squats
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
agree.
sept 10th APF

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
I just kind of dig it in until it settles, probably mid to lower trap.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:20:25 AM »
The foam rollers that People put on the Bar just do not help. I Need to feel the bar. when i see Young guys going to use the foam roller Thing i just rip it off the bar. you can not get a proper Position with These things. I tell them to build some traps ;D

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »
I believe squat technique is like swiming technique.
When you spend hours upon hours stoking non-stop in the swiming pool you develop your own technique based on one's biomechanics/stenght/endurance/whatever.
If you put enough load on the bar or rep it to 25-30, it has to settle where it's confortable for you, no matter if its more up or down.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »
Well I suppose that two variations do exist.

The high bar squat (or Olympic style squat) were the bar rests on the traps, the torso is much more upright, depth is easier to reach and the mechanics of the movement very much resemble a front squat with an emphasis on the quads and knee flexion:

The low bar squat (power squat) were the bar is below the traps, resting on the posterior delts, there is much more forward bend, the hips sit way back and going much deeper beyond parellel becomes difficult and more dangerous. This movement utilises much more of the posterior chain with an emphasis on hip flexion and extension:

Like has been said by Falco, I found the best thing was trying both and figuring out through hours of training what your best position is (it could be hybrid of the two). I still like to include both variations from time to time as they both offer unique benefits.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
Agree with Melkor on all his points. Good presentation of the clips.

Of course there are what is called BB'ing squats, where the bar is placed nearer the neck/upper traps or the highest point the bar can be. Point being to keep the upper body straight up, chest out as much as possible,   during the squat. Not going to use has much weight in this style, but the quads should take the main focus of this high bar/'BB'ing squat.  Don't see this style much anymore among BB'ers. This would be called old school strict squatting. Foot spacing is very close in than with regular squatti

Going to depend on each of us to find that good spot where the bar rest. With the bar resting on the mid range of the traps seems to suit most, as was shown by the Asian gentleman. Newer guys may use just a folded gym towel when first learning to squat. After awhile they tend to not need any form of padding, having the body adapt to the bar.

I, and some others I know, squat with the bar mid range on the traps. But instead of gripping the bar near the shoulders we wrap the outstretched arms under and over the bar and grip the 45's on the top. Started this style when doing heavy 20 rep breathing squats. Works well for me and others.

Good Luck.

Side Bar: There is the GoodMorning squat, which some guys try to pass off as a real squat. Only fooling them self. Though some do include it as a regular part of their workouts.
F

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
The foam rollers that People put on the Bar just do not help. I Need to feel the bar. when i see Young guys going to use the foam roller Thing i just rip it off the bar. you can not get a proper Position with These things. I tell them to build some traps ;D

You should mind your own business, get on with your training and leave others to do theirs.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
You should mind your own business, get on with your training and leave others to do theirs.
save your Breath for the Treadmill

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:02 AM »
Don't do treadmill, I run the roads like a man.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:53:17 AM »
It all depends on your actual goal....
A high position forces you to keep your back more straight, which makes it a more quad dominant exercise.
With a low position, you're able to lift more weight because your glutes, hamstrings and back come more into play.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
It all depends on your actual goal....
A high position forces you to keep your back more straight, which makes it a more quad dominant exercise.
With a low position, you're able to lift more weight because your glutes, hamstrings and back come more into play.

Yes, very true.

I would say apart from bodybuilders and Olympic Lifters, most people would get more out of the low bar variety. It utilises more muscle groups, can be used to lift more weight and get stronger and does not have the same impact on the knees as high bar Olympic style squats which are very often performed by dropping too quickly into the hole and bouncing out. This is what ruins the knees. With the low bar squat it is easier to hit depth in a more controlled way, by pushing the hips back and spreading the knees out.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
Might suggest box/bench squats as an alternate way to learn correct squatting. With the bar placed mid range on the traps (not too far down..not too far up), which seems to work for most guys.

Box/bench (some also use platforms) squats can also set the depth of each rep, and how low you want to go. Pausing a second or two, at the bottom, can be a great help also. Probably a good idea to relearn the basic squatting style for each of our body types.  Knees tend to take the whole of the blunt force, as well as the lower back, which doesn't always have to be the case. Should be almost an equal  distribution of the effort required to lift.

Can also relearn the front squats with the help of a box/bench. Which, when done right, recruits the quads way more that regular squats. Again adjusting to our individual body type.

Been a lot of pro's & cons about the depth of a squat and the affects on the knees over the years. Some even believe that the reversing of a squat, before reaching it's bottom position, can be doing more damage than good for most. Like if doing parallel reps (1/2 -3/4 down) and reversing the motion and coming back to full standing position again can be brutal on the knees. Others believe that a full ROM is a must when squatting.Olympic lifters seem to hit that rock bottom position when doing squat cleans/snatches, even when in training workouts.  It's a individual choice, of course.

Good Luck
F

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 03:41:55 AM »
bar position, depth of lift and foot position are all really personal choices based on comfort... personally i like to squat with mid-width, ducked feet and i go past parallel but i do not bottom out

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
 It's a individual choice, of course.

Though getting the technique correct, in whichever style you use, can become important with regards to safety and potential injury. Also in getting the full value of the effort anyone puts into a squat (or any other muscle group) workout. At times, comfort can be misleading. Sort of like a bad habit feels good at the time, but later on, when it catches up with you...not so much.

Good Luck
F