Author Topic: shoulder  (Read 2135 times)

Drij

• Getbig IV
shoulder
« on: January 19, 2006, 03:48:29 PM »
When ever i do any movement of my shoulders there is always a cracking sound, no pain but I hope it doesn't lead to arthritis. Is there any reason for why this is happening and how to stop it?

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: shoulder
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »
If it doesn't hurt, or feel strange like something maybe sliding around in the socket, then i would suggest it's just fluid moving around, like when you crack your knuckles.  Remember they said that cracking your knuckles would give you arthritis for a long time...but that statement has since been proven to be an old wives tale.  If it is simply a popping noise, i wouldn't sweat it.  Be VERY aware of signs of escalation though.
:-)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 06:32:42 PM »
When ever i do any movement of my shoulders there is always a cracking sound, no pain but I hope it doesn't lead to arthritis. Is there any reason for why this is happening and how to stop it?
Mine do the same thing, and they have been doing it as long as I can remember. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 06:39:48 PM »
yeah maybe just warm up your shoulders well before doing anything like heavy presses.
bodybuildersreality.com

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 06:49:33 PM »
Yep, mine do it also, but it's mainly my left one, which I found out was stuffed. My biceps tendon was injured where it conects to the shoulder. It still pops a bit and it's more of a put off than pain now. It used to hurt a lot.

My advice: hit the DECA!

Or just take Glucosamine which helps a little.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 06:51:58 PM »
Well I suffered a serious shoulder injury one time and I heard it making noise but NO PAIN during the set and even that day.  I was doing some shoulder shrugs at about 545 and was repping them out and this little popping noise was going on.  No pain, no problem I figured, threw on some more wieght and busted another set, pop pop pop pop pop.  

As it turns out the AC ligament had somehow got over the knuckle and was grinding itself apart.  It took me some 3 years for that one to quit getting "hot" during some inclines or MP's.  It didn't hurt my strength though, would just heat up and hurt some late in a workout.

So be careful.

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 06:58:38 PM »
I think it's also A LOT about shoulder balance.

I think I also had a problem with a ligament moving cause it feels like something is jumping around in my shoulder.

Remember to train all three heads and bring up the lagging ones.

I know I talk a lot about gear, but my shoulder never felt better than when I first did injectable steroids. My shoulders equalled out and became a lot more stabilised, and I even think steroids should be legal for this purpose.

Do lighter weights and higher reps to get more of a pump and more stability in there. Don't forget to train smart.

This is what works for me, I just came back from a shoulder workout:

Smith machine presses to the front

Smith machine behind the neck presses (nothing too heavy)

Seated bent over rear lateral raises

Upright cable rows

Standing side lateral raises

10 mins of my fat ass on the treadmill at a quick walking pace  ;D

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 04:48:36 AM »
One other thing I have always kept an eye on since that injury mentioned above, well after it recovered is this:  I never let the shoulder joint rotate (sideways) during movement any more.  I think Onlyme was alluding to this in that when the shoulder joint gets about to where the elbow is even with the shoulder (in whatever movement you are doing) it wants to rotate, ala the infamous rotator problems and such with behind the kneck pressing. 

I overcome this by gripping the dumbells different.  Doing front laterals I grip them "up and down" like I am drinking a cup of coffee, not sideways.  I do the same for side raises but I don't stand straight up but at an 85' angle and bring the wieghts up and back a hair, 5' from vertical the other way.  That way the joint doesn't rotate halfway up.  There are a lot of little tricks to give yourself some breathing room concerning the troubled area.

BigIronMike25

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 12:45:02 PM »
Both my shoulders pop and crack like hell all the time....the right one more than the left after a collegiate career in baseball....i think it just sounds worse than what it is....nothing to worry about unless it starts feeling painful!

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 09:45:07 PM »
I crack my left one on purpose before any pressing movement. I crack it by doing a tricep stretch (reaching your hand in the middle of your back) and it makes a pretty nice cracking sound. It actually feels better afterwards. I might not take my opinion though as I've worked through a little delt injury for years now  :-[