Author Topic: Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?  (Read 21914 times)

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
Re: Do people believe in GOD simply because there is NO GOD?
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
No worries! I am a believer, but in God, not religion.  Too many false profits.  And i respect those that don't believe also.   To each his own, just don't tell me what I should or shouldn't believe.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
And I told you I'm fully ready to experience it.....lead me on.

I got 30 seconds, lead me to Jesus, I sure don't want to go to hell if it exists  :) 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
I don't understand why God (sky fairy) bothers some people so much.  They waste so much time hating something they claim doesn't exist.  If someone believes and it doesn't affect you, then what is the problem? That being said, ANYTHING taken to extremes is dangerous and unhealthy. 

Agreed, if someone believes and it doesn't enchroach upon me, feel free..

catracho

• Getbig IV
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
Close your eyes and look into your heart.  Whatever you feel is what is the truth.  Good luck to you.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
I got 30 seconds, lead me to Jesus, I sure don't want to go to hell if it exists  :) 

Do you believe that Christ died on Calvary's cross and rose from the dead?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
Close your eyes and look into your heart.  Whatever you feel is what is the truth.  Good luck to you.

I feel bloated..

catracho

• Getbig IV
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
Then that is the truth! lol

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »
Do you believe that Christ died on Calvary's cross and rose from the dead?

No, I don't

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
I don't understand why God (sky fairy) bothers some people so much.  They waste so much time hating something they claim doesn't exist.  If someone believes and it doesn't affect you, then what is the problem? That being said, ANYTHING taken to extremes is dangerous and unhealthy. 
That must be the most naive statement I have ever read, the belief that Religion doesn;t affect people, it affects absolutely everyone.  Religion has poisoned humanity, it is responsible for countless suffering and the death of Innocents.  It is responsible for terror and evil, it's tentacles negatively effect everything they touch, and Religion has grown to influence politics, war, education and the ethical structures of our sick societies.  Religion isn't an antidote to our sick society, it is the reason society is sick.  There isn't a single person who isn't affected by religion is some way (mostly negative).
V

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
I rest my case your Honour.

Hello stupid.  I treat you as you have treated others.  With zero respect. 

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

Hello stupid.  I treat you as you have treated others.  With zero respect. 
See, this is where you expose yourself, someone having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are being disrespectful.  This is why religion is so dangerous, it makes people judgemental and unable to tolerate other peoples opinions.  So when someone says, belief in God is delusional, that's not being disrespectful, that's being honest.  IT IS A DELUSION !!  Look up the definition of 'delusion' and you will see I am correct.  Your constant disrespect of others who don't share your delusions is something I expect, I would be surprised if you weren't so hostile.  Those drawn to religion are typically hypocritical, preaching one thing and acting another way, your attitude is part and parcel of the way religious people act, and just one more reason rational people dislike religion.
V

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
See, this is where you expose yourself, someone having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are being disrespectful.  This is why religion is so dangerous, it makes people judgemental and unable to tolerate other peoples opinions.  So when someone says, belief in God is delusional, that's not being disrespectful, that's being honest.  IT IS A DELUSION !!  Look up the definition of 'delusion' and you will see I am correct.  Your constant disrespect of others who don't share your delusions is something I expect, I would be surprised if you weren't so hostile.  Those drawn to religion are typically hypocritical, preaching one thing and acting another way, your attitude is part and parcel of the way religious people act, and just one more reason rational people dislike religion.

See, this is where I belittle you as you have done to others.  The only real difference is that you deserve it for being such an asshole.  Don't like it?  Get used to disappointment.  Just like your parents had too. 

You don't deserve any respect.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
See, this is where I belittle you as you have done to others.  The only real difference is that you deserve it for being such an asshole.  Don't like it?  Get used to disappointment.  Just like your parents had too.  

You don't deserve any respect.
I don't expect any respect from a religious person, that's the whole point.  The majority of people who follow religion are incapable of following Jesus and his simple philosophies.  You are just an example of why Religion has become so frowned upon, religious people take the moral high ground, pretending to be better people because they are religious and follow the bible and jesus, yet they are often evil people, incapable of the most basic humanity.  This is proof that religion doesn't work, it does the opposite.  It takes people further and further away from the natural ethical principles inherent in human beings.  Human beings are by nature good, religion trains them to be bad and evil and destroys their natural goodness all the while convincing them they are the opposite, holier than thou. Religion teaches you that humans are evil and sinners, this in itself is one of the lies of religion, the real truth is Religion makes people evil and sinners.  Religion truly is an evil evil tool.

So when someone suggests this to you, your brainwashing prevents you from even entertaining the idea, Religion has closed your mind.  You couldn't recognise goodness if it ran you over in the street.  Religion doesn't leave any room for doubt, and doubt is an essential ingredient in finding the truth.  Only the individual can find the truth through his own efforts, the truth isn't something that can be told to you by someone else, like religion does.  You have been TOLD what to think and believe, and the reason you get so angry when you encounter other peoples ideas is because your thoughts and beliefs are not your own, Religion has prevented you from even knowing what you think or believe.
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:23 AM »
I don't expect any respect from a religious person, that's the whole point.  The majority of people who follow religion are incapable of following Jesus and his simple philosophies.  You are just an example of why Religion has become so frowned upon, religious people take the moral high ground, pretending to be better people because they are religious and follow the bible and jesus, yet they are often evil people, incapable of the most basic humanity.  This is proof that religion doesn't work, it does the opposite.  It takes people further and further away from the natural ethical principles inherent in human beings.  Human beings are by nature good, religion trains them to be bad and evil and destroys their natural goodness all the while convincing them they are the opposite, holier than thou. Religion teaches you that humans are evil and sinners, this in itself is one of the lies of religion, the real truth is Religion makes people evil and sinners.  Religion truly is an evil evil tool.

So when someone suggests this to you, your brainwashing prevents you from even entertaining the idea, Religion has closed your mind.  You couldn't recognise goodness if it ran you over in the street.  Religion doesn't leave any room for doubt, and doubt is an essential ingredient in finding the truth.  Only the individual can find the truth through his own efforts, the truth isn't something that can be told to you by someone else, like religion does.  You have been TOLD what to think and believe, and the reason you get so angry when you encounter other peoples ideas is because your thoughts and beliefs are not your own, Religion has prevented you from even knowing what you think or believe.

So, based upon your position, both myself and Butterbean are also more evil (or have become evil) because of our faith in Christ?  I use the two of us as examples because we moderate the religion board (a potential source of some of that evil you note).  Who better to evaluate in the Getbig population than the religion mods, right?  

If you were to poll folks on the G&O and simply ask if they feel our faith has made us more evil (given how we have represented that faith to others and of course what they know of us) do you believe the board would agree with your position?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2014, 07:11:06 AM »
So, based upon your position, both myself and Butterbean are also more evil (or have become evil) because of our faith in Christ?  I use the two of us as examples because we moderate the religion board (a potential source of some of that evil you note).  Who better to evaluate in the Getbig population than the religion mods, right?  

If you were to poll folks on the G&O and simply ask if they feel our faith has made us more evil (given how we have represented that faith to others and of course what they know of us) do you believe the board would agree with your position?

Reminds me of a surprise conversation I had with a long time co-worker and friend last year at lunch. He believed that because I didn't believe in God that there was nothing stopping me from raping and murdering people. I couldn't believe he thought that...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2014, 07:18:29 AM »
Reminds me of a surprise conversation I had with a long time co-worker and friend last year at lunch. He believed that because I didn't believe in God that there was nothing stopping me from raping and murdering people. I couldn't believe he thought that...

That's just plain ignorance LOL.....don't know what else to say.

E-Kul seems to believe that because of my faith I'm far more prone and actually moving towards a lifestyle that would engage in rape and murder.  It's actually an interesting position to take.  I hope he chooses to respond to my posts because he hasn't lately.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
That's just plain ignorance LOL.....don't know what else to say.

E-Kul seems to believe that because of my faith I'm far more prone and actually moving towards a lifestyle that would engage in rape and murder.  It's actually an interesting position to take.  I hope he chooses to respond to my posts because he hasn't lately.

You have to take him with a grain of salt. He isn't right in the head.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2014, 08:00:53 AM »

Yes, I think religion makes you more evil, first off, you support a GOD of the bible, that is obviously malevolent and genocidal.  You then support a text that endorses the killing of homosexuals, slavery, genocide, child abuse etc etc the list goes on and on.  And then to top it off after supporting the most unethical of principles in the name of GOD you claim that you are more righteous than non believers and have a paradise waiting for you and non-believers go to hell.  Just to make the whole thing even more outrageous, religious people don't live up to their ideals and often through their repressed instincts encouraged by the Church, commit all types of perverse and wicked acts.  The fact the average religious person is unaware of the deep immorality by simply being religious and espousing biblical ideals is even more disturbing and the very reason thinking people everywhere despise them.  I won't even go into the millions killed in the name of religion, let alone the continuing negative impact it has on politics, education and the wellbeing of the average individual.
V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
Yes, I think religion makes you more evil, first off, you support a GOD of the bible, that is obviously malevolent and genocidal.  You then support a text that supports the killing of homosexuals, slavery, genocide, child abuse etc etc the list goes on and on.  And then to top it off after supporting the most unethical of principles in the name of GOD you claim that you are more righteous than non believers and have a paradise waiting for you and non-believers go to hell.  Just to make the whole thing even more outrageous, religious people don't live up to their ideals and often through their repressed instincts encouraged by the Church, commit all types of perverse and wicked acts.  The fact the average religious person is unaware of the deep immortality by simply being religious and espousing biblical ideals is even more disturbing and the veryreason thinking people everywhere despise them.

I stand corrected..he's spot on  :)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »
Yes, I think religion makes you more evil, first off, you support a GOD of the bible, that is obviously malevolent and genocidal.  You then support a text that supports the killing of homosexuals, slavery, genocide, child abuse etc etc the list goes on and on.  And then to top it off after supporting the most unethical of principles in the name of GOD you claim that you are more righteous than non believers and have a paradise waiting for you and non-believers go to hell.  Just to make the whole thing even more outrageous, religious people don't live up to their ideals and often through their repressed instincts encouraged by the Church, commit all types of perverse and wicked acts.  The fact the average religious person is unaware of the deep immortality by simply being religious and espousing biblical ideals is even more disturbing and the very reason thinking people everywhere despise them.  I won't even go into the millions killed in the name of religion, let alone the continuing negative impact it has on politics, education and the wellbeing of the average individual.

I understand your position and your objections and I appreciate the succinct restatement here.

So back to my question from above:

On a sidenote, I wanted to suggest a book you might enjoy written by Paul Copan entitled "Is God A Moral Monster?" (written 3 or 4 years ago).   I've discussed Levitical laws of the ancient Israelites and the context therein many times, but I think that book would be a good start to help provide some perspective.  You can probably order a copy on Amazon for $10-$11.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2014, 08:13:46 AM »
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
I stand corrected..he's spot on  :)

par for the course

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »
I understand your position and your objections and I appreciate the succinct restatement here.

So back to my question from above:

On a sidenote, I wanted to suggest a book you might enjoy written by Paul Copan entitled "Is God A Moral Monster?" (written 3 or 4 years ago).   I've discussed Levitical laws of the ancient Israelites and the context therein many times, but I think that book would be a good start to help provide some perspective.  You can probably order a copy on Amazon for $10-$11.
You are relying on a logical fallacy, the appeal to popularity.   AKA an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."

The issue is, you support an ideology that is based on ignorance and holds unethical views, and not only that, historically it has been responsible for some pretty serious attrocities.  Now a lot of people don't like to support guilt by association, but it can't be avoided.  Everyone likes to let groups of the hook and find scapegoats, so if say the Police have a culture problem and they start to resemble organised criminals, they blame a few individuals, they find a scapegoat, but we all know the problem isn't the individual, it's the group, it's the culture.  So unless the group changes or becomes extinct, the problem remains, and you can throw out all the so called bad seeds all you like. This is the same with the Church, the culture is bad, the ideologies the group is based on are unsound, you can't fix it, it needs to be scrapped.

Nobody blinks an eye when they say a group of Nazis isn't to be tolerated, no matter how nice a group they are and charitable works they do.  This is recognition of the dangerousness of 'groups'.  Groups are dangerous because they can so easily scapegoat and blame individuals and the group can carry on with their agendas.  Groups need to be held accountable, a bit like in the army, when a soldier fucks up, others in the squadron are punished to encourage them to self regulate and avoid an individual affecting the whole group.  If you were punished for the indiscretions of your religion, you would soon stop supporting them if they didn't change their ways.
V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
I don't think your logical fallacy applies to his question. He is not saying "_____ is true because so many people believe in it"  He is merely saying that if the group here were polled, would they agree with YOUR hypothesis. I think there is a huge difference

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
I don't think your logical fallacy applies to his question. He is not saying "_____ is true because so many people believe in it"  He is merely saying that if the group here were polled, would they agree with YOUR hypothesis. I think there is a huge difference
He is relying on the majority agreeing with him, he is saying "If the majority of Getbiggers I poll agree with me, would you take that as evidence that I am not made more evil by my faith and religious beliefs"

In other words he is saying "If many (the majority of getbiggers) believe so, it is so."
V