Author Topic: training while sick?  (Read 3463 times)

txhulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
training while sick?
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:20:59 PM »
I've heard both sides to train and not to train while sick.Some say to go for it as long as your not puking others say if your sick at all even a minor cold to skip.what are your thoughts? :)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: training while sick?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:40:17 PM »
If its a cold I just take some cold medication and go train as usual. It may delay the time I get over the cold but I don't really care.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »
Define sickness.

Some people, like me, just keep training,
it's an excellent time to train cause it helps to focus on something else than the sickness. If you're not able to lift weights at all, it could be stimulating to just go cycling for 45 minutes.

It's a other thing if you can't keep up standing cause of dizzyness.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 04:49:47 AM »
My advice would be yes train while sick, if only a 1/3 workout.  Of course, don't put others at risk of contracting your illness but for yourself it will make your workout stronger. 

BigIronMike25

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 06:15:53 AM »
its all about how you feel brother!  If you think you can train and sweat some of the sickness shit out of you then by all means.  However if you feel like pure hell and know that takin a day or 2 of rest will get you well quicker then thats what I'd reccomend.  Good Luck!

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 06:50:37 AM »
When you're sick, your body is telling you it needs rest, although a short lighter workout is often good to keep the blood flowing.  Doing too much can put a strain on your kidneys and other organs, and can lead to complications or just drag the minor ailment out alot longer-- and no one wants that!

If you have a fever, PLEASE stay out of the gym so you don't infect those of us who don't!  8)

I never run or do alot of aerobics with a cold, but will do some easy biking, pilates, and yoga or other stretching.

But as others have said-- it's all about how you feel and how fast your body heals.

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
  • 1 DiRty Dawg eat dawg world...
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 06:57:45 AM »
To tell you the truth if it is just a cold, it's a bitch to get to the gym, but once in, I get better workouts than normal... IMO

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:19 AM »

If you have a fever, PLEASE stay out of the gym so you don't infect those of us who don't!  8)

best point made so far.......

still, easier said than done.  I'd just back off your workouts tremendously while your body heals.  That is, if it's just a mild cold.  Anything more serious than that, just relax and don't work out.
:-)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:22:44 AM »
I am fricken sick right now.....I usually work through it, unless I hvae a fevor of course.  I always feel better after I start and for a few hours after I am done working out.  I read your body releases some chemicals when you workout that helps you feel better.....seratonin or some s**t like that.

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 07:27:39 AM »
I've heard both sides to train and not to train while sick.Some say to go for it as long as your not puking others say if your sick at all even a minor cold to skip.what are your thoughts? :)

Nah, have a break. A break every now and then won't kill you. Just ask Dexter Jackson. What's the point training if u can't put 100% into it?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 07:36:21 AM »
If you've already heard both sides, why ask the question?

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 08:27:01 AM »
Blaster makes very good points. Have to train with serious intent, with 100% (or close to it) effort in each workout. And of course you want to recover 100% for you next workout. Being sick and working out together only delays the bodies ability to fully heal it's self, not only from the workout but any other sickness we might have. Only common sense.

Does "sick" mean a disease (a cold, flu, fever, etc) or muscle/joint/tendon injury anyway? Good Luck.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 02:02:40 PM »
i wouldn't skip a training day unless im deathly ill or in trackion.. i think that exerising while sick...helps to recover faster... thats that i found for me.... but i wouldnt go to full blast on the ppoundages tho

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
yeah i think you should still try to train even though it feels horrible and its hard to have fun and get a pump.
bodybuildersreality.com

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
Personally I feel that exercising whilst sick does the complete opposite.. puts you in a position of vulnerability as it is but if you are sick it is even worse.

I would not pick up a weight if I were sick.  Its not about being 'hardcore' - its about being smart and realising if you go train whilst sick you're probably going to extend the period of sickness and thus come to more sessions under the weather.

When you are sick it is an opportunity to take a small break from training which probably will benefit you more than be a hindrance.  Depends how much you train I guess but if you're the type of person who believes in training whilst sick you're also probably the type of guy who would overtrain.

Take a break, come back fresh.

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
If you can lift, lift, otherwise just hit the bike for some cardio.

txhulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »
i'm inclined to agree with rocket. Besides its also great for your body to get a break. :)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 07:53:54 AM »
i'm inclined to agree with rocket. Besides its also great for your body to get a break. :)

also agree with rocket.  typically when you're sick, too, you get lethargic, and tend to lose your appetite.  Training + fatigue + body fighting off illness + inadequate nutrition = More harm than good.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 08:04:50 AM »
Jr. Yates:  You said it all Bud,  "I think you should still train even though it feels horrible and it's hard to have fun and get a pump". Perfect reason not to train when sick. Might as well hit yourself with a hammer on the head for the pump (swelling) you get. Never mind the skull/brain damage, just work for the pump with that hammer. Good Luck.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 11:53:30 AM »
Jr. Yates:  You said it all Bud,  "I think you should still train even though it feels horrible and it's hard to have fun and get a pump". Perfect reason not to train when sick. Might as well hit yourself with a hammer on the head for the pump (swelling) you get. Never mind the skull/brain damage, just work for the pump with that hammer. Good Luck.

Lol.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 03:12:10 PM »
over myy christmas break i was extremely sick and could barely get puut f bed.......but i still went to the gym a few times....and it was helll. i was extremely weaker than normal, just doing a warmup seat of squats had me gasping for air and sweating like a hog...and i got worn out after just a few sets every time.

d[-_-]b actin all cool

supergeorge

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 01:01:54 AM »
yeah just chill homes! wait till you get better!!!!!!!!

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »
.... not to train while sick. Some say to go for it as long as you're not puking...)

Yes... A very good point-- since I'd really NOT like to find this type of surprise waiting on a weight bench ...(instead of just the usual sweaty grime).  :o

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 05:03:06 AM »
I think we humans can take a page from animals in the wild. When they get sick or hurt, they go off by themselves and rest. No hunting, no sex, and no eating. Let your body devote all its resources to recovery.