Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 89778 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Not sure if this story should be in the religion board but.....

Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles to students

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/29/tennessee-atheists-win-right-to-distribute-literature-after-schools-give-bibles-to-students/

An atheist group in Tennessee won the right to distribute literature at an elementary school after the school allowed the Gideons group to distribute Christian Bibles to students.

The Friendly Atheist blog reported that the Tri-State Freethinkers group in conjunction with the ACLU challenged the decision by Casey County School District Superintendent Marion Sowders to allow the Gideons to distribute copies of the New Testament at the county’s three elementary schools.

The Freethinkers and the ACLU sent the school district a letter demanding equal access and, surprisingly, the request was granted.

On Friday, the group was allowed to leave copies of the book Humanism, What’s That?: A Book for Curious Kids by Helen Bennett.

As with the Gideons, actual group members were not allowed to contact students, but the books were left for interested students to pick up and peruse.

Some Christian parents expressed outrage. Carmen Foster contemplated keeping her kids home on Friday, but changed her mind.

“I work hard everyday of my life as a mother to teach my kids what we believe,” she told WKYT. “If I don’t have enough confidence to send them out in the world, then how strong am I with what I’m teaching them.”

“Whether we like it or not. Our kids are going to go out in to this world. They are going to come across these situations. This is a good opportunity to teach them how to handle it,” she said.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Reminds me of this.  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=289547.0

More evidence that atheists proselytize. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Atheism is a religion.

Everyone who is honest understands that. Who is their god? Themselves

Belief: Humanism. Man has answer to everything

OzmO

• Getbig V
I don't see it as a religion at all, although some atheists seem to, in some ways, practice it like a religion.  I don't know of any atheists or their organizations that have rituals and chants.  But i do see them promoting their ideas. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
The basis of being an atheist is the absence of belief.  You can't have any kind of religion without belief. It is retarded claiming otherwise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The basis of being an atheist is the absence of belief.  You can't have any kind of religion without belief. It is retarded claiming otherwise.

Exactly.  That's why atheist churches, magazines, clubs, organizations, radio shows, etc. are retarded. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Reminds me of this.  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=289547.0

More evidence that atheists proselytize. 

LOL - reminds you of a thread you started yourself with the question "Do atheist proselytize"

I've never had an atheist come to my door to proselytize?

I've never seen the 24/7 atheist channel on TV begging for donations so their leaders can live in mansion and fly around in private jets.

I've never seen an atheist meeting place on every other corner in ever town in America

I've never received letters and cards in the mail urging me to join an atheist group or send a donation

etc...

OzmO

• Getbig V
Exactly.  That's why atheist churches, magazines, clubs, organizations, radio shows, etc. are retarded.  

I have never seen that.  Best i have ever seen is a skeptics magazine.  All the atheists which are 4 on a personal level, i know don't actively participate in anything you describe here. They have never heard of it either.

I think that's a very very small percentage of atheists and are are and away not typical of them as a whole.  Maybe they have some grudge against religion in general that motivates them to do that.

OzmO

• Getbig V
from Straw:
I've never had an atheist come to my door to proselytize?

I've never seen the 24/7 atheist channel on TV begging for donations so their leaders can live in mansion and fly around in private jets.

I've never seen an atheist meeting place on every other corner in ever town in America

I've never received letters and cards in the mail urging me to join an atheist group or send a donation

exactly

But, OMG ( ;D) have i seen that done with religious groups.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
Exactly.  That's why atheist churches, magazines, clubs, organizations, radio shows, etc. are retarded. 

Exactly like their faith counterparts.  Which is why you will either agree or by a hypocrite. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I have never seen that.  Best i have ever seen is a skeptics magazine.  All the atheists which are 4 on a personal level, i know don't actively participate in anything you describe here. They have never heard of it either.

I think that's a very very small percentage of atheists and are are and away not typical of them as a whole.  Maybe they have some grudge against religion in general that motivates them to do that.

Everything I referenced I posted either in the atheist proselytizing thread or another thread on the religion board.  They have annual conventions.  They organize.  They protest.  They have churches called "humanist" centers.  Plenty of other examples. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Exactly like their faith counterparts.  Which is why you will either agree or by a hypocrite. 

Good to see you acknowledge how retarded some atheists can be.   :)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V

I noticed you didn't acknowledge how retarded some religious people can be. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
Everything I referenced I posted either in the atheist proselytizing thread or another thread on the religion board.  They have annual conventions.  They organize.  They protest.  They have churches called "humanist" centers.  Plenty of other examples. 

I am not arguing they don't exists.  All i am saying is that its not representative of likely 99% of atheists.  Just as regular church attendance isn't probably representative of at least 50% of the people who believe in god.

I am just guessing here, but i don't think i am that far off.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I noticed you didn't acknowledge how retarded some religious people can be. 

Some religious people can be retarded. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I am not arguing they don't exists.  All i am saying is that its not representative of likely 99% of atheists.  Just as regular church attendance isn't probably representative of at least 50% of the people who believe in god.

I am just guessing here, but i don't think i am that far off.

I don't know what the percentage is.  I do know they are the most vocal. 

I have plenty of atheist friends.  Some very good ones too.  None of them are the kind of retards who go around protesting stupid stuff. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV

Props to you for using the word "some".

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Chrisians shouldn't be upset by this ruling.  It seems fair to allow the distribution of literature if christians are already allowed to. 
A

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
Chrisians shouldn't be upset by this ruling.  It seems fair to allow the distribution of literature if christians are already allowed to. 

As a Christian I disagree.

But as an American that realizes his country was build on religious freedom I see both sides.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo

As a Christian I disagree.

But as an American that realizes his country was build on religious freedom I see both sides.

I understood completely.   A person is capable of disagreeing with the message while acknowledging the principle of fairness.
A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V

You would think so....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

The fact those atheists have literature is retarded. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

why is it retarded and why are you so scared of atheists in the first place

If your religion is valid then it should be bulletproof from a few atheists passing out pamphlets

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
why is it retarded and why are you so scared of atheists in the first place

If your religion is valid then it should be bulletproof from a few atheists passing out pamphlets

And the inconsistencies easily explained.

Skip8282

• Getbig V

meh...I'm not sure.  I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with giving people, especially students, multiple sides of the issue.  If they can pass out religious material, they should be able to pass out atheistic or agnostic material.  Besides, probably not appropriate to disperse this stuff at a school anyway.  Keep it at home.