Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 89857 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Are we really mostly Christian?  Just curious.  We have 6-7 billion people on the planet.  Are you saying more than any other religion or more than half?

don't you understand by now

if Christians believe something then it MUST be true regardless of any evidence to the contrary

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
I'm going by this.  Sorry, it's all I got.

Religions:
Christian 33.39% (of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, non-religious 9.66%, atheists 2.01% (2010 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

Cool Thanks

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
before making new posts why don't you try reading the existing posts

then maybe (hopefully?) you won't attribute false claims to me (or anyone)

If you want to just keep repeating the nonsense then go right ahead

I know you posted that, but you are contradicting yourself.  This thread is about atheists passing out pamphlets at schools, and when I questioned its "necessity" from an atheist's point of view, you got you panties in a wad.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

OzmO

• Getbig V

if Christians believe something then it MUST be true regardless of any evidence to the contrary

I checked out some other sources.  Seems to be true.  about 2.1 billion Christians. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

::)

Religions:
Christian 33.39% (of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, non-religious 9.66%, atheists 2.01% (2010 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I know you posted that, but you are contradicting yourself.  This thread is about atheists passing out pamphlets at schools, and when I questioned it's "necessity" from an atheist's point of view, you got you panties in a wad.

and my response to that claim was this statement to which you feigned not to  (or truly don't) understand even though it's the same exact thing you said except that I changed atheists for "any religion"

that's where you started playing christian merry go round

LOL - same goes for any religion.   They should all just stop proselytizing other wise they are just proving their own vulnerability to atheists and agnostics

Given your statement I assume you agree

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I checked out some other sources.  Seems to be true.  about 2.1 billion Christians.  

think about it again

there are around 7 billion people in the world and 2.1 billion are Christian

Are we really mostly Christian when 5 billion out of 7 billion are not christian?

Are we
Are we really mostly Christian?  Just curious.  We have 6-7 billion people on the planet.  Are you saying more than any other religion or more than half?

OzmO

• Getbig V
think about it again

there are around 7 billion people in the world and 2.1 billion are Christian

Are we really mostly Christian when 5 billion out of 7 billion are not christian?

Are we

That's why i asked.   

Its safe to say its the largest in the world.  Not accurate to say "that today's world population is mostly Christian"

No biggie.   One mans storied life 2000 years ago turned into the largest religion in the world.  What does that have to do with the debate at hand?  not much i see, unless we are now debating the validity of the religion its self which makes it a candidate for the religion board.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
That's why i asked.  

Its safe to say its the largest in the world.  Not accurate to say "that today's world population is mostly Christian"

No biggie.   One mans storied life 2000 years ago turned into the largest religion in the world.  What does that have to do with the debate at hand?  not much i see, unless we are now debating the validity of the religion its self which makes it a candidate for the religion board.

so we agree that the majority of the world ( ~ 72% or  5 billion out of 7 billion people) are not christian

it's good to find something we can agree with on in this thread

Edit - the debate at hand, namely "Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles" was pretty much settled on page 1 when most everyone agreed that neither group should be distributing literature in a public school

Then Loco got confused and went off for 3 pages being Loco and....here we are

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
That's why i asked.  

Its safe to say its the largest in the world.  Not accurate to say "that today's world population is mostly Christian"

No biggie.   One mans storied life 2000 years ago turned into the largest religion in the world.  What does that have to do with the debate at hand?  not much i see, unless we are now debating the validity of the religion its self which makes it a candidate for the religion board.

You asked, and I gave you the data that I am going by, and you checked your own sources and validated it.

As for what does this have to do with the debate, go to the original post and see.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
so we agree that the majority of the world ( ~ 72% or  5 billion out of 7 billion people) are not christian

Edit - the debate at hand, namely "Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles" was pretty much settled on page 1 when most everyone agreed that neither group should be distributing literature in a public school

I thought you were done with me, and that this was a waste of time.  Why do you keep posting and going round and round in circles with me?  Have I setup camp in your mind or something?

OzmO

• Getbig V

Guess you haven't read all my posts.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
You asked, and I gave you the data that I am going by, and you checked your own sources and validated.

As for what does this have to do with the debate, go to the original post and see.

Its all good, like i said no biggie.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Most recently gay marriage. How many religious nuts cry about it remaining illegal because the Bible is against it?  How many Constitutional Amendments and ballot measures have been attempted to keep this prohibited due to their beliefs when it is clearly not prohibited by the Constitution itself?  Likewise for abortion.  Countless laws exist in many states that prohibit some activities from being performed on Sundays. (alcohol sales, etc..)   Some states have laws against sodomy.  Michigan treats adultery as a felony. 

These laws are nothing more than biased religious viewpoints.

Some of those are somewhat valid examples and some are not.  Preserving traditional marriage was a bipartisan issue until very recently.  For example, DOMA was supported by both parties and signed by President Clinton.  Hillary, Obama, Biden, and most Democrats supported traditional marriage until about two years ago.  Were they all religious nuts?

And how about the more than 30 states that voted to preserve traditional marriage?  You really think those millions of voters were religious nuts?  I live in the most liberal state in the country and we voted to preserve traditional marriage by a 70 percent margin.  Our legislature recently rammed homosexual marriage through a special session, but if it were put on the ballot again like it should have been, it would not have passed.  And we certainly don't have a state full of "religious nuts." 

Abortion is not a "Biblical law" and the plethora of abortion restrictions are not supported solely by religious people.

I agree about Blue Laws.  Good point.  Although I don't think any of them are really enforced?  I know there are dry counties in various parts of the South. 

No states have enforceable laws against sodomy.  Supreme Court reversed itself and struck down sodomy laws several years ago.

Adultery is a crime in the military.  Is that because of "religious nuts"?

Overall, there are some aspects of "Biblical law" that are part of our secular society, but this is because that's what society wants.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I think its perfectly natural that religious people and Atheist share similar attitudes regarding each others stuff.

Of course they will ridicule, minimize, challenge their approaches, and or diminish each other in  some ways.  

Also i think its important for the sake of productive debate that the extremes on both sides are not given importance as factors, such as religious whack jobs or what look to be former religious whack jobs turned atheists.  

Religion = beliefs based on faith

Atheism = beliefs based on the evolving discovery of facts

Facts need to be learned in school.

Atheism and Religion need to stay the fuck out.

PS:  RRkore is nothing like 24K

Meh.  Things passed off as fact often rely on faith. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
Meh.  Things passed off as fact often rely on faith.  

Such as?

That's why i said "evolving discovery"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Guess you haven't read all my posts.  

which one did I miss

you asked the question of whether we are mostly christian and we are clearly not mostly Christian by more than a 2 to 1 margin

Christians being 2.1 billion and the other 5 billion being something else is not mostly christian

If you want to go by the narrower definition of the most popular religion then you could say christianity but it would be more accurate to to Catholicism (by the stats that loco posted)

however the fact remains that the vast majority of the population of this planet is not christian

Are we really mostly Christian?  Just curious.  We have 6-7 billion people on the planet.  Are you saying more than any other religion or more than half?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I thought you were done with me, and that this was a waste of time.  Why do you keep posting and going round and round in circles with me?  Have I setup camp in your mind or something?

weird how you think that a reply I made to Ozmo was intended for you

seems like camp is definitely set up in your mind

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Such as?

That's why i said "evolving discovery"

Doesn't "evolving discovery" mean they don't have the facts to prove whatever it is they believe? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
weird how you think that a reply I made to Ozmo was intended for you

seems like camp is definitely set up in your mind

You mentioned me on the post, nevertheless, and here you are again addressing me.  I live in your mind, apparently.  Who is loco now?

And this post was totally out of line, since I did post the information I go by, and OzmO verified it, whether you think it's valid or not.  But everyone knows you are an @$$hole, so what else can we expect?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You mentioned me on the post, nevertheless, and here you are again addressing me.  I live in your mind, apparently.  Who is loco now?

And this post was totally out of line, since I did post the information I go by, and OzmO verified it, whether you think it's valid or not.  But everyone knows you are a @$$hole, so what else can we expect?

yes, I mentioned how you wasted 3 pages going in illogical circles but if that makes you feel better about yourself then more power to you

you seem to also be confused about very simple math

you wrote

"Christianity started with one man 2,000 years ago, and it grew to the point that today's world population is mostly Christian, and even greater is the percentage that is theist if you include all religions."

That is a provable and undisputed FALSE STATEMENT

Unless of course you apply that classic Loco pretzel logic and then it's obvious that 5 million out of 7 million people being NOT Christian ="world population is mostly Christian"

OzmO

• Getbig V
Doesn't "evolving discovery" mean they don't have the facts to prove whatever it is they believe? 

No, it means that previous theories and facts change based on new discoveries.

OzmO

• Getbig V
which one did I miss

you asked the question of whether we are mostly christian and we are clearly not mostly Christian by more than a 2 to 1 margin

Christians being 2.1 billion and the other 5 billion being something else is not mostly christian

If you want to go by the narrower definition of the most popular religion then you could say christianity but it would be more accurate to to Catholicism (by the stats that loco posted)

however the fact remains that the vast majority of the population of this planet is not christian

so we agree that the majority of the world ( ~ 72% or  5 billion out of 7 billion people) are not christian

We agree on more than this issue (world being mostly christian) on this thread.  Read up  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
No, it means that previous theories and facts change based on new discoveries.

Theories are often based on a mixture of fact and faith.  Except some people don't like to use the word "faith," probably due to its religious connotation.